Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Miscellaneous/Clear roadblock for wiki site URL changes
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: The domains of several Wikimedia wikis should be renamed. This was done once, when be-x-old.wikipedia.org was renamed to be-tarask.wikipedia.org, but this renaming exposed several issues. Performing any more renaming is not advised until these issues are resolved.
- Who would benefit: Users of wiki sites pending for rename.
- Proposed solution: Clear roadblock for wiki project language code changes so that they can be changed
- More comments: It have been a decade since these renaming were initially requested.
- Phabricator tickets: phab:T172035
- @C933103: It looks like the link Phabricator task has been resolved. Regardless, I don't think this is something Community Tech could help with, as it isn't a matter of software development but rather site operations and/or systems administration. Perhaps I am missing something? MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 22:26, 30 October 2018 (UTC)
- @MusikAnimal: Ah I have manually typed a wrong phab code. It have been updated and corrected. While the actual process for site renaming is related to site operation and administration, it seems like there are things that prevent it to occur that are blocking it at a more general level.C933103 (talk) 01:14, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- Note that this is currently blocking creation and translation of Wikipedia into certain language projects. C933103 (talk) 08:21, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
- Currently nowiki is effectively perpetrating linguistic discrimination due to a domain and language code anomaly, and an age-old language conflict. This proposal would potentially make it possible for us to find a way out of this embarassing situation. - Soulkeeper (talk) 16:22, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
- SupportC933103 (talk) 07:10, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 08:36, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support stjn[ru] 09:35, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 11:26, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Jon Harald Søby (talk) 12:36, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sebastian Wallroth (talk) 13:06, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Hydriz (talk) 13:30, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Timeshifter (talk) 14:44, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Viztor (talk) 03:46, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Strong support - we've been trying to rename zh-yue.wikipedia.org -> yue.wikipedia.org for a decade! Deryck C. 14:29, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support also/even more because we should care even if it doesn't affect the wikis most of us use ourselves. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 14:30, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support per above. - Soulkeeper (talk) 16:52, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support –Ejs-80 12:16, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 01:37, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Vulphere 04:46, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Matěj Suchánek (talk) 09:15, 24 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support PMG (talk) 17:06, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Yes and hopefully one day also resolve all the issues with be-x-old Dvorapa (talk) 12:42, 27 November 2018 (UTC)