Open main menu

User talk:Aphaia/Archive9

Contents

Some advice pleaseEdit

I'm planning on taking the rest of the "Checkme" category to RfD today or tomorrow but could you give me any insight into either of these two pages 帮助:参数设置 & 帮助:模板入门. I can't even "see" the tag on either of them and I would prefer not to look too big a fool. Hope you don't mind - thanks --Herby talk thyme 11:26, 24 April 2007 (UTC)

They are Chinese translation of MediaWiki Help, and seem legitimate contents of this site. --Aphaia 01:48, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
I'll consider that a "checkme" done and remove the tags correction, I won't as the "tag" isn't visible to me. Any ideas? and sorry I didn't run the other two past you as well --Herby talk thyme 06:41, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
  • reset

I must learn not to make requests. Too little experience, too unknown? Your views would be welcome, I am someone who "listens". I am away this weekend anyway so there is no rush, my thanks anyway --Herby talk thyme 11:51, 25 April 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for your consideration anyway, have a good weekend! --Aphaia 12:24, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
Thanks I hope to. Your views really would be welcome you know? Did you work out why the two pages appear to have become part of the "checkme" category? --Herby talk thyme 12:32, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
They are in Checkme due to {{126}}. This template tag can be removed, they are already in that namespace.--Patrick 14:02, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for information, folks. The moving request template was removed. --Aphaia 14:08, 25 April 2007 (UTC)
  • reset

Requests - did you mean this! <g> --Herby talk thyme 18:23, 25 April 2007 (UTC)

RE: ASAEdit

Yes, it was a joke. Let me log in... 69.116.169.171 01:45, 26 April 2007 (UTC)

[Wikimania-2007] Forms translation.Edit

How can I translate forms like this? - VasilievVV 12:41, 27 April 2007 (UTC)

Please visit Wm2007:WM:T#Registration. Also please ask wm2007:User talk:Htchien if we can add a new language right now. --Aphaia 14:01, 27 April 2007 (UTC)

Re: Your editEdit

Sure, sorry about that. -- ReyBrujo 01:52, 28 April 2007 (UTC)

Don't worry and thank you for your cooperation! --Aphaia 03:39, 28 April 2007 (UTC)

Where do I find information?Edit

I'm new to Mediawiki and am looking for a source of administrative trivia, such as this question that I posted on the Metapub page.

Where do images belong?Edit

I'm setting up my first Mediawiki site and have two questions.

  1. The image Image:PD-icon.svg is missing.
    What directory should I place a copy into?
  2. Where should I be asking questions like this?

Thanks - Sakshale 22:55, 30 April 2007 (UTC)Sakshale

Try http://mediawiki.org? --Aphaia 05:58, 1 May 2007 (UTC)
I cured my issue by enabling image uploads. Thanks for the pointer. Sakshale 05:39, 2 May 2007 (UTC)Sakshale

影武者 (Kagemusha)Edit

はじめまして、ja:User:Swind(User:Swind) と申します。Vandalism reports の件でお聞きしたいことがあって参りました。確かに影武者の項は冗長なものとなっており、コメントアウトもしくは削除するのが妥当な部分があったかと思います。しかしながら同時に、Aphaia さんが追記なされた「To harass users not from jawiki」という節に関しても、そこで主張なさるべきことではないように思えます。失礼ながら ja:User:Deadaphaia の件について私はよく知らないのですが、影武者と何か関係があるようにも思えません。よろしければあのような文を追記した意図をお教えいただけないでしょうか。よろしくお願いします。--Swind 13:14, 1 May 2007 (UTC)

Aphaia さんは様々なプロジェクトにて御活躍されており、大変お忙しい方だと認識しておりましたので10日ほど待たせて頂きましたが、何らご返答を頂けないということで一旦当該部分をコメントアウトさせて頂きました。もしも影武者の荒らし行為に関する事項であり記述する必要があるという場合は、御手数ですがリバートお願いします。御報告まで。--Swind 14:18, 11 May 2007 (UTC)

Duke Nukem QuotesEdit

Can you do something with this: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/User_talk:DooMDrat ? IMHO - this is vandalism to delete all quotes.—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 84.237.120.114 (talk)

I reverted the recent editions and retrieved the better one, of DooMDrat. Your accusation makes no point. I recommend you to be more cooperative and read its talk throughout. If you don't understand the community consensus, you may be blocked from Wikiquote editing. --Aphaia 17:28, 2 May 2007 (UTC)

I agree!Edit

When I thought for five minutes - more a case of misunderstanding Meta I think! Thank you --Herby talk thyme 07:59, 3 May 2007 (UTC)

That IP!Edit

Thanks for the backup on Wikiquote. However it is things like this where I really do believe some cross wiki co-ordination in vandalism would be good. Wikipedia can look after itself (there are more vandal fighters there than vandals at times!) and the Small Wiki group do a great job but the mid sized ones such as Books (hit there very hard, 200+ pages), Quotes, Species etc I'm sure could benefit if only from a common communication channel. The only wiki I did not find anything on was Wikiversity. Excuse the outburst, it's early and that kind of vandalism makes me cross! Regards --Herby talk thyme 07:58, 5 May 2007 (UTC)

Totally agreed. There are another experience on Japanese projects, cross-wiki cooridnation might make a sense; supposedly a same person made problematic edits but assuming different usernames on each wiki. Besides utilizing more excessively Vandalism reports, do you have any idea, like real-time channel? Cheers, --Aphaia 09:30, 5 May 2007 (UTC)
I find this quite difficult - it is hard to know how others think. When I started on Wikipedia I neither knew nor cared about other Wikis. I'm guessing many people on other projects may well see things similarly. However my view is now different! That is why I posted as I did on Larry's talk page and why I posted on Meta:Babel (no response so far). Vandalism reports (I would have thought a good place) appears to have little traffic at all and more aimed at long term vandals than more immediate alerts.
I find it frustrating that there does not seem a willingness to tackle this problem on a Wiki wide basis. I do feel there must be others who feel the same but how do we get hold of them? Maybe IRC is a way - I find (on the ones I have been on) that there is casual chat (fine but I frequently do not have the time) and little real exchange of information. However I have not used it much so that may be me. Any channel would have to be cross wiki though with vandal fighters/admins as the target audience.
Anyway apologies for taking up your time and page! Regards --Herby talk thyme 11:32, 5 May 2007 (UTC)
And again crosswiki - you (wikiquote) seem to be picking up some page move/offensive vandals? I deleted an image on Commons yesterday that was used on Wikiquote. I was familiar with it on Books as well having dealt with it from time to time there. Some issues -
  1. I take it you have a cascading protection page to keep some of the junk out? (found it) The one we have on Wikibooks may have some in that you might include (b:WB:SALT) as we have had that type of vandalism quite frequently.
  2. If you don't have it, get a couple of Checkusers and block the underlying IPs? It was why I self nom'd on Books - I was fed up with the junk and not being able to deal with it
Let me know if I can help - regards --Herby talk thyme 07:29, 9 May 2007 (UTC)

Bleach quote pageEdit

Can you please tell me why I am unable to edit a page that I did contribute, and am trying my very best to keep up to date with the originality anime-quotes need? Yes, there's been a so-called "editing war" between myself some other member, but the only difference is me using the correct spelling of Japanese names (last names in front of first names). And as the page's creator I feel I should have the last say in the matter. Thanks.—The preceding unsigned comment was added by 80.212.124.60 (talk)

Thanks for your message, please submit your reasoning to q:Talk:Bleach instead here. Regardless your reason, it is not welcome to revert other's edit without comment. During following three days, all interested editors including you may come to consensus, I hope. Please note, you as the orginator of that article have no authority to determine how the page should be organized. It is solely based on our existing policies and guidelines and editors' consensus. --Aphaia 04:34, 9 May 2007 (UTC)

Privacy policy/elEdit

Hi! I've finished translating the Privacy policy in Greek: Privacy policy/el. You can move it to foundation wiki. Geraki 12:47, 11 May 2007 (UTC)

Thank you. Would you please rename it in Greek? So I'll soon update it to the foundation wiki! --Aphaia 13:09, 11 May 2007 (UTC)

Translation requests/WMF/disclaimer/el is also translated. If the offer to translate it directly is an offer for an account at foundation wiki, I'm interested for more translations. Should I make a request? --Geraki 12:03, 12 May 2007 (UTC)

Your explicit request will be appreciated for the record, and besides that, I need your email address. Thanks :) --Aphaia 12:21, 12 May 2007 (UTC)

ThanksEdit

I switched my sig to my meta page and checked the box to enable email. Fair points, both. JzG 09:53, 14 May 2007 (UTC)

  • Hmmm. Not sure why it didn't work - cacheing? Dunno. Anyway, I went through the process again and email seems to be enabled now, as it has been on my enWP account all along. I'm sure nobody thinks I'm trying to hide - it would be a little difficult, given that I seem to be pretty well known on enWP these days :-) Apparently Lar has the same problem sometimes, so that's one for me to watch. JzG 13:22, 14 May 2007 (UTC)

Move and importEdit

Hi,

  1. please move wikimedia:Δωρεά to wikimedia:Δωρεές, I think it's better.
  2. Translation requests/Licensing policy/el is ready for import.
  3. I have made a request for an account.

Thanks, --Geraki 11:42, 16 May 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for noticing me. Done and welcome aboard! --Aphaia 12:12, 16 May 2007 (UTC)

It seems that I've lost a lot of mails. Please resend it to geraki [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks. --Geraki 21:24, 16 May 2007 (UTC)

Hmm I didn't keep the password at hand. Please wait for a while. I'll try to solve it. --Aphaia 23:35, 16 May 2007 (UTC)

zh-hant 版權許可方針Edit

Hi Aphaia, this is about the Chinese translation of Wikimedia Foundation's Licensing Policy. Could you recategorise 版權許可方針 so it falls under Category:政策 (or at least Category:中文), and remove it from the non-existent category:Translations zh-hant? Many thanks. -- tonync (talk) (講) 13:54, 17 May 2007 (UTC)

Oops! I intended to fall it into 中文 (繁体), but it apparently didn't work well. Thank you fou noticing me, now it's fixed hopefully. --Aphaia 14:48, 17 May 2007 (UTC)

Mail receivedEdit

Got the password, thanks. It's a pitty you had to change the username from my imported contributions, but it's ok. Cheers! Geraki 18:30, 17 May 2007 (UTC)

Ah I forgot the imported version, sorry. Nice to hear however you've got it safely. Cheers, --Aphaia 21:01, 17 May 2007 (UTC)

Meta CUEdit

Hi Aphaia - I did think the same until the comments on the request page but looking here, I know it says "log access" but I think both Max & M7 have checked stuff for me before. I think they are just not around at present (most of the others are absent too!) --Herby talk thyme 07:01, 19 May 2007 (UTC)

Technically, any steward can give themselves CU to do a request. The (log access) is just because you need to have CU to view the log... Cbrown1023 talk 14:48, 19 May 2007 (UTC)

Template:WelcomeEdit

Hi Aphaia, arabic translation of welcome message is here. would you pls copy the code to the right place (if any exists)? many thanks. --Azdiyy 08:16, 20 May 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for your help, Template:Welcome contains however already arabic message (at the top). You will be welcome to improve it. Cheers. --Aphaia 08:56, 20 May 2007 (UTC)
lol, don't want to get another ban :) one day i may be good at search. sorry. --Azdiyy 09:03, 20 May 2007 (UTC)

Cross wiki vandalism issuesEdit

Aware of your interest this might be useful to you & you to the idea. Thanks --Herby talk thyme 12:54, 21 May 2007 (UTC)

RFDEdit

Ok, I've undelete those imgs. Please see my comment on RFD page. Thanks!--Nick1915 - all you want 12:19, 23 May 2007 (UTC)

spam blacklistEdit

It might be a good idea for you to log your additions to the spam blacklist on the blacklist log here, as well as putting a link or two to conversations demonstrating that normal admin tools failed. Cheers! —— Eagle101 Need help? 12:38, 24 May 2007 (UTC)

Thanks. For further addition, I'll care for logging. --Aphaia 12:47, 24 May 2007 (UTC)

Current staff/arEdit

Hello

Could you add Translation requests/WMF/Current staff/ar to the WMF website? I've finished it.--The Joke النكتة‎ 20:29, 26 May 2007 (UTC)

My pleasure! So would you please do one more favor? Renaming it into Arabic. Thanks! --Aphaia 20:34, 26 May 2007 (UTC)
But how? it is الطاقم الحالي = Current staff .. thank you :)--The Joke النكتة‎ 20:54, 26 May 2007 (UTC)
Thanks to thanks! I hope to have copied it properly ... --Aphaia
You got it correct :). I just made the Former staff page..I couldn't find the source..so I didn't know the exact placement of the images. could you add it instead of the redirect and fix the image placements? it is here. thanks.--The Joke النكتة‎ 01:24, 27 May 2007 (UTC)

Cu/WikiquoteEdit

Hi - are you planning to request CU on the Kazoo one on Wikiquote - the name has been used on other Wikis before. Regards --Herby talk thyme 07:09, 30 May 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for note. I think we (or I?) blocked this account as vandal permanently without allowing to create a new account. In this case would CU be still helpful? How do you think, Herby? --Aphaia 07:46, 30 May 2007 (UTC)
I would still seek CU - similarly named vandal on meta and variations on that name have been used several times here & on Commons. I'm guessing the underlying IP may well be the same which might mean one less they can use in the future - regards --Herby talk thyme 07:53, 30 May 2007 (UTC)
Totally agreed after attacking again. "Kazoo" may use several IP addresses or be used by several people. It is nice to accumulate the knowledge where they come. --Aphaia 12:14, 30 May 2007 (UTC)
Request is already there! As is another one you mentioned! Regards --Herby talk thyme 12:17, 30 May 2007 (UTC)
I did some CU on Kazoo variants a few days ago and shared them with Herby... advise if I can be of additional assistance++Lar: t/c 23:30, 30 May 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for your comment, Lar, Your advice will be great help! We blocked one IP address for three days, and blocked permanently for those accounts too. But they still continued to create new ones. Could you give us suggestions for preventing further disruption? Cheers,
Regrettably, not, this user seems to hop IPs a lot so you can only act after the fact, it seems, any IP block that would stop them seems to be likely to be too broad. Just remain vigilant and as Herby suggests, get CU on wikiquote. I'd certainly support you... just drop me a note so I can go do that when it's time. Best of luck and do call on me if I can be any help. ++Lar: t/c 18:14, 1 June 2007 (UTC)
  • reset

Try and get CU rights on Wikiquote (I see no one has actioned the request yet) would help. Short term watch my block logs and this one would be worth a block on Wikiquote from information provided! --Herby talk thyme 07:18, 31 May 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for your information, blocked. --Aphaia 09:08, 31 May 2007 (UTC)

Re: TranslationEdit

Hello Aphaia. I'm trying to "start" all ID translations in Category:Translations in priority. To be honest, I've just started to focus contributing to Meta, I might perhaps did not follow "common" approach here. Should I focus on one translation at a time? Thanks. •• ivanlanin 10:53, 1 June 2007 (UTC)

Hi, thank you for reply. It depends, however since there are different priorities on each document, so I prefer to finish some very important ones, and then shift to others. --Aphaia 11:19, 1 June 2007 (UTC)

Will do that. Thanks. •• ivanlanin 11:43, 1 June 2007 (UTC)

humble requestEdit

Hi Aphaia. I was very impressed by your introduction of the language preference bar in Translation of the week. I write to humbly entreat you to come to Vicipaedia and make for us the same thing, only with a different logo, perhaps with Latin letters to Greek and Japanese. We are in the process of rehauling our main page, and someone requested a way to shift between languages, so we could make pages for non-Latin speakers. I remembered your contribution here, so I figured I'd ask. If you are too busy, could you at least show me how? Thanks much, in advance!--Josh Rocchio 01:48, 5 June 2007 (UTC)

Salve! You mean perhaps language selector on that page? I am not familiar how it works, but it seems to be defined on MediaWiki:Monobook.js, beginning a comment "Implements language selection for multilingual elements". It was introduced by User:Edward Z. Yang, reachable through Special:Emailuser/Edward_Z._Yang by email. I hope this information helps you. Bona fortuna, --Aphaia 02:01, 5 June 2007 (UTC)
Gratias ago!--Josh Rocchio 02:53, 6 June 2007 (UTC)

Board elections 2007Edit

NavigationEdit

Hello Britty. I've made a lot of changes to the board navigation template:

  • It now doubles as the English menu, so that {{board elections 2007/en}} redirects there. This means less code to update when we make changes.
  • It is the template for non-English templates like {{board elections 2007/fr}} (which I created as an example).
  • I added instructions on how to add a navigation template in a new language, how to use it on English and non-English pages, and added an automatic list of existing navigation templates.
  • It categorizes all pages automatically.
  • I added a link to a tool on my server to search language codes.
  • I simplified the coding.
  • I'm also wondering whether to add the {{other languages}} templates automatically with {{board elections 2007}}, so users will only need to add one template. (This is not done yet.)

If you disagree with any of the above, just poke me tomorrow and we'll change it to suit. This is a quick mockup; it will be easy to change. —{admin} Pathoschild 03:37:51, 06 June 2007 (UTC)

Hello. Thank you for your cool templates! I love it. Also I love your idea to include category to the navigation template. I would claim I have been considered, but you are the first who said so :p
I have a request for new addition ... would you please create link/vars to two non existing pages? That is
  • "Endorsements"
  • "Interface update" request (like 2005)
I suppose we need them in some time, and it would be better to make it as visible as possible. Cheers, --Aph. 10:28, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
I've added a link to Board elections/2007/Interface translation, based on the earlier years' names; I assume that will be one page, with no language subpages. I don't understand what the 'endorsements' page would be for, so I'm not sure where to place it. Would that page contain the actual votes?
I won't be available tonight, but I'll be back around 19:00 UTC (04:00 JST, I think). Feel free to edit the templates, or I'll do it when I return. :) —{admin} Pathoschild 00:31:18, 07 June 2007 (UTC)
Update: Interface translation may not be requested, or not. It depends which interface we use where ... If we involve a third party, and still keep it multilingual, translation are better to be done on meta as far as we organizers are concerned ... For endorsement, see our draft at User:Aphaia/Sandbox1. I'm adding it to the template. Could you please add it to the French one? --Aphaia 00:44, 7 June 2007 (UTC)
Since it's likely that some languages will only have partial translations, I've programmed the template to link to the English page if the relevant language subpage doesn't exist, and add an "(en)" label. For example, "Présentations des candidats (en)". These will be automatically updated as soon as the page is translated.
I've updated the French template. Regarding the Endorsements page, would it be less confusing to call it "Voting guidelines"? —{admin} Pathoschild 22:47:32, 07 June 2007 (UTC)
I'm afraid "voting guideline" misleads people, since in this scheme endorsement and voting isn't identical, while the former works as preliminary. For the entire scheme, please see also User:Aphaia/Sandbox (not yet approved).--Aphaia 01:51, 8 June 2007 (UTC)

Information pagesEdit

Information about the election seems to be spread across several information pages:

I would like to merge this information into just three pages: the election notice covering the election in general, a guidelines page covering requirements and guidelines for both candidates and voters, and the FAQ covering details not covered elsewhere.

I'll prepare a draft for you to review if that sounds good. If so, could you explain the difference between an endorsement and a vote? It seems the requirements are the same, so anyone eligible to vote could also endorse; wouldn't votes automatically imply endorsement, and so not need an extra endorsement step? —{admin} Pathoschild 22:08:24, 08 June 2007 (UTC)

I'm afraid there are some confusions/duplications partly due to new name convention:
  • Board elections/2007=Election notice is not released officially yet. Its draft is on User:Aphaia/Sandbox0, what you call "information for candidates, voters, and in general". Please do not merge them at this moment.
  • Board elections/2007/Candidate presentation guidelines/en is an informal guideline, as tagging so, others not. It was began by me, but just in an individual capacity. It is rather an community essay. Thus, due to its character, it cannot be merged into other documents, which should be released as official ones. There are no official documents yet, since they are need to be approved. Once approved, we are planning to tag them as "official document".
  • Board elections/2007/Candidates/en is not complete yet, and instruction won't not its main content. Instructions/rules are not their main part. Candidate presentations which will be submitted should be. This page is intended to host candidate presentation. I am not sure what you indent to merge with that. It is aiming for candidate, or the detailed version of information which appears on the official notice.
  • Also endorsement: it is mainly designed to be submitted endorsement (like steward voting or RfA). Rules are not its main content. The endorsement system is now waiting for the Board approval and as such we cannot say if it should be the official part of Election. However, its main significance is, in our intent, to sift serious candidates from those who are not. Last year one of complaint from the community, particularly non-English speaking ones as well translators were "there are too many obscure candidate". So it is functionally a preliminary vote, as you noted. The significant differences from the main voting are, 1) endorsements may be on wiki, voting won't be. There is even a possibility a third party provides a server for voting, 2) the voting will be audited by a third party, but the endorsement won't and 3) on the voting it doesn't matter who gets the highest number of endorsement. Either reaching the required number or not, that's all. I think this kind of information are better to go to FAQ, not a part of official notice to keep it in a readable size.
--Aphaia 23:52, 8 June 2007 (UTC)
I didn't think any of the pages would be officially released until the whole system is ready. That way, we can easily prepare it ahead of time, maybe with a box at the top that says they're not official yet. The guidelines are good ideas, and I don't see anything wrong with making them official recommendations; we can specify that they are optional.
The merge will only affect the information. For example, Board elections/2007/Candidates/en#Rules_for_candidates will be merged into the guidelines page, but not the rest. That way, it will be easy to find the information someone is looking for because it will all be in one place. For example, candidate requirements are described in several places and not always consistently.
I can copy the whole system to my user space with the proposed merge, if you want to see what it will look like before using it. —{admin} Pathoschild 00:08:54, 09 June 2007 (UTC)

EndorsementsEdit

I've been thinking about the endorsements idea. Rather than having two votes (an "endorsement" vote followed by a full vote), it would be simpler to have a single vote. Candidates who do not meet the minimum number of support votes in the first five days (the current "endorsement" period) would be disqualified. This serves the same purpose as an endorsements phase, but is much simpler, does not require that users vote twice, and is largely transparent. The documentation related to endorsing would then be reduced from a full page and process to a few sentences on various pages.

I'll change this in the draft I'm preparing in my user space, so you can see how it would look in practice. —{admin} Pathoschild 19:37:44, 09 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for your feedback, but I'd like you to think it as set-in-stone. We'll open the Election just in hours. We'll however requests for comments after the election, so would you please submit your opinions then? Cheers, --Aphaia 19:45, 9 June 2007 (UTC)

SorryEdit

I feel I must point this out to you and ask you to be a little more thoughtful of the opinion of others. We all have differing views - please allow us these and consider them in a measured way --Herby talk thyme 10:35, 6 June 2007 (UTC)

Please don't bother me right now and let me do my work for organizing Election/its translation coordination? Your two irritate me to prepare potential disaster and disturbance in my experience. I ask you not to put anything irrelevant coming Election NOW. Thank you fior your cooperation. --Aphaia 10:39, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
I regret I find your approach lacking the good faith I expect in a sysop. I have with drawn my rfa on wikiquote and will leave you in peace --Herby talk thyme 10:49, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
wtf, herby?! Aphaia is under extreme stress right now, she has a lot of work to do... she didn't intend to sound mean. She intended to sound dismissive, which is what she needed to say. Cbrown1023 talk 00:35, 7 June 2007 (UTC)

Re:Your opinion of early close VfDEdit

I was just trying to justify why Nick1915 might have closed the RfD early. The RfD in question had 8 delete votes, and no opposition, so I used that reasoning to justify Nick's closing. Personally, I let RfDs run for the normal two week period. Nishkid64 (talk) 14:48, 7 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for clarification. I'm glad we agree on that thing. I'd just like you to note "8 delete votes and no opposition" are not always good reason, from the reason I wrote you. People who need may just not have a chance to be involved into the discussion, and that is why we've set VfD period relatively longer than local project ones. --Aphaia 15:12, 7 June 2007 (UTC)

electionsEdit

Thanks for correction ;)

I do not understand how should work the last field in table. Especially cause Polish translation suggests something much different then English version. Could you explain it to me ?

Thanks in advance --WarX 09:50, 10 June 2007 (UTC)

No problem. :)
I'd like to help you out, but cannot figure your problem for now. Which table do you mean? Also what do you mean with "Polish translation"? (your own statement?) Thanks for your input, in advance. --Aphaia 09:53, 10 June 2007 (UTC)

TemplateEdit

Hello, welcome to meta and thank you for your translation!

As for the template, I'd suggest you not to translate variable names like {{{username}}} but share them with Template:Board candidate 2007/en . It will reduce your workload and enable us to update it more easily, if necessary ... --Aphaia 04:14, 11 June 2007 (UTC)

I translated them to make it easier for others, like was done other years, but I really don't care either way. But anyway, I'm kind of stuck now; how to I start translating the main part of the page? I'm lost in a big mess of different templates and languages! :-) Mets501 04:38, 11 June 2007 (UTC)
You mean translation of Board elections/2007/Candidates/en into spanish? If so, just copy and past them into Board elections/2007/Candidates/es and translate the text. Templates suffixed lang code (en) can be translated in a same way. For example, their subpage(s) are localized using the template you created just now. --Aphaia 04:46, 11 June 2007 (UTC)
OK, thanks for the help. I've translated a bit more, and for now I'm going to bed :-) Tomorrow I'll translate more. Mets501 05:03, 11 June 2007 (UTC)
No problem, and please change back the template for candidate presentation. Good night, --Aphaia 05:04, 11 June 2007 (UTC)

French translationEdit

Hi Aphaia, if you need french translations, as for Board elections, please ask me. I can also do announcements on the Bistro of the french Wikipedia, as you did this morning. Guérin Nicolas 10:39, 11 June 2007 (UTC)

I translated the page Board elections/2007/FAQ/en into Board_elections/2007/FAQ/fr. That's it for today :-) Guérin Nicolas 16:25, 11 June 2007 (UTC)
Yeah, just after putting a message on your talk, I noticed you made it complete. Thank you for your work! --Aphaia 16:33, 11 June 2007 (UTC)

User talk:24.73.86.239Edit

This is the OFFICE IP. I have no idea who is making the edits. I think today's were done by Sandy :) Cary Bass demandez 19:08, 11 June 2007 (UTC)

Yeah, just put the edit, I recalled it. I suppose just what you are now thinking about. :) The idea is great, but page could be renamed, perhaps? --Aphaia 19:12, 11 June 2007 (UTC)

Announce TranslationEdit

Hi Alphaia, What should I translate from http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Board_elections/2007/Translations/en&action=history for post at spanish village pump. May I translate this announce?. Thank you, :). Loco085 20:20, 12 June 2007 (UTC)

I don't think we need other language version for Translations page ... for the latter message posted ont VP, please do, if you have a time, and post it to the Spanish/Lusophone projects: not only Wikipedia but sister projects as many as possible. Thanks! --Aphaia 12:14, 14 June 2007 (UTC)

Geman TranslationEdit

Today, User:Bergkönig asked me, how he could help with translations. I asked him to translate Board elections/2007/Endorsements. If he should not do so within the next 12 hours I will do it myself. --Thw1309 14:10, 14 June 2007 (UTC)

Great, many thanks to you! Also could you please inform de-communities we'll accept endorsement from the next Sunday? Greetings, --Aphaia 14:13, 14 June 2007 (UTC)

{{Editprotected}}Edit

Please restore it. It is useful here, for requesting edits to protected pages. I'd restore it myself, but I don't know the exact content it had, and only admins can restore pages in that manner. TheHelper 23:47, 14 June 2007 (UTC)

Restored. But I would like to keep you mind 1) it is not meta admin custom to use it and 2) I'd delete it again unless it is properly localized in an reasonable term, since it is apparently intended to be used on Wikipedia and quite useless here in my opinion. --Aphaia 23:51, 14 June 2007 (UTC)
P.S. Since I am now on wikibreak and accidentally can have an access to the Internet, you'd be better to submit your request to more appropriate place, Meta:Requests for undeletion at the next time. --Aphaia 23:54, 14 June 2007 (UTC)

Tried to catch you on IRC but...Edit

cough [1] cough ;). Thanks. Swatjester 02:55, 15 June 2007 (UTC)

Problems with InformationEdit

You asked me to inform de-communities. Doing so, I found a problem, concerning the fairness of the elections. In all the projects, I participate, I found informations, but they were posted in a very different way. On en-wikipedia, I found the announcment on the community portal and on my watchlist. On fr-wikipedia I found it on the community portal, on commons I discovered it only on village pump and on de-wikipedia, it was posted on Wikipedia:Café, that´s a place to exchange humorous messages (now it is on the community portal twice). Before you asked me, I visited the cafe only once. So in de-wikipedia I would never have discovered a notice about these elections. I think, these four projects are a good example for all the other projects.

What will you do, if a losing candidate will tell you, he only lost, because only the one project where he had supporters, was not properly informed or not informed the same good way as for example en-wikipedia with an announcement on the watchlist. I do not know how an American court would react, but according to German regulations about foundations, equal information is absolutely necessary and any violation would make the court cancel the whole election.

Is there any possiblity, to inform every user the same way. The banner on top of this page is an excellent solution. Using such a banner on every project would prevent users from telling you, they had no chance to participate in the elections. --Thw1309 07:51, 15 June 2007 (UTC)

A few things, it is not solely the election committees job to inform all of the communities in as many ways possible. You must help them with that. Second, local sysops can (and are supposed to per instructions given by the Election Committee) edit the local site notice (found at MediaWiki:Sitenotice on every Wikimedia wiki). Third, a candidate should do as much as he or she can to spread the word about the Board of Trustees election (and voters in the election should do the same). Please also read the Wikimedia:Bylaws if you have not already. Cbrown1023 talk 18:48, 15 June 2007 (UTC)
I know that this is not solely the job of the committee. Therefore I try to help as much as I can on the projects I participat. I think that part of this help is an information to the committee about the problems I see. Doing so I do not want them to solve the problems all by themselves but I want them to make the decisions, because it is only them, not me as an ordinary user who has the authority to make decisions. I want them to know the facts and to be able to decide (including the decision to do nothing). --217.226.231.109 19:16, 15 June 2007 (UTC)--Thw1309 20:17, 15 June 2007 (UTC)
Hi there, thank you for raise this issue. As for Cafe, I wondered myself if it was a good idea posting to there where I had been led from another project via interlang link. I failed to find more appropriate places at that time, so I appreciate your moving very much. Thanks :)
I personally (not in the official capacity as Election Committee) agree with you guys on two points: local campaign are to be as equal as possible we can and we should encourage each member of our community to participate disseminate the information. However practically it isn't feasible I'm afraid. In my opinion the true equality may be realized only all the information is given in a same manner, that is, in whatever language they are used. For several reasons we as volunteers' community as a whole haven't been interested in such realization, and there seems to be no budget for hiring 250+ language transators to ensure this kind of equal opportunity, we must be satisfy with the best what we can. Also it couldn't be realized even with such equality in available languages, since the notice should be posted to foundation-l as official annoucement from the Foundation (so I think), and not every community member subscribed the list. So there is no factual way all voters/participants may know the news in an uniformity, I suppose.
Using sitenotice is a good idea I think, and I tried to have the local community notice it will be used globally very soon in the latest message which you may find on Communication Projects Group/Projects/Board Election 2007/Call for translators or already you read at your project. Call for endorsements and call for vote will be announced using the sitenotice hopefully in a same manner and local translation will be very appreciated!
Gruss, --Aphaia 21:41, 15 June 2007 (UTC)

I want to thank you! You do a marvelous work!!!--Thw1309 15:03, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

endorsementEdit

It's a bit hard to find, but all that's in the top right of my userpage (both here and on other projects). My home wiki is the English Wikipedia (link), though I satisfy the requirements on several other projects too. --Rory096 05:33, 17 June 2007 (UTC)

The electionEdit

If people are competent to stand for election I would hope that they were aware of policies common to projects - licensing being one of them. In accordance with your undiscussed change to deletion instructions for the elections I did not delete the image, merely added the nosource tag. I will not change your edit and neither this page or pages related to the election will be troubled by further edits from me --Herby talk thyme 18:20, 17 June 2007 (UTC)

Re: EndorsementsEdit

My aplogies, Aphaia. I've removed my fourth endorsement. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. Thunderhead 22:40, 17 June 2007 (UTC)

No problem, and thank you for your quick reaction. --Aphaia 01:36, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

Re: Your edit on endorsement pageEdit

Hi Aphaia,

no problem, but I would like you to consider my point: this makes one candidate look better than the others who have not been listed yet, and there is already a warning like yours, so I think it would be just better to keep removing non-confirmed candidates rather than advertising them by saying: "people can't stop adding this particular candidate, don't add him although he is the most popular of the candidates that haven't been listed yet." Because that's the impression I get.

--Steven Fruitsmaak (Reply) 10:03, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

Point taken, we'll consider it and try to create a better arangement. Thanks! --Aphaia 10:13, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
Thank you, you've solved the problem in an elegant manner, well done! --Steven Fruitsmaak (Reply) 10:48, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

BlockEdit

You may be interested in reviewing this. Three pages created on Wikibooks at almost the same time and an unblock request. However it has been a WoW source at some time in the past --Herby talk thyme 11:17, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

Indeed, interesting to read ... thank you for noticing me. Personally I'd love to say "sorry no" in the similar case, unless the school officially contacted and assure no further vandalism occurs. But I have no strong opinion about this particular case. --Aphaia 11:27, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
I have mailed you further info but this is also an insight into the behavior of this IP, the editing is offensive to say the least --Herby talk thyme 11:33, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
Ah X-( I think it is wise of us to be proactive and put a block, even for a while. Again, thanks! --Aphaia 11:45, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
  • Judging by the IPs edits, I think it's safe to say they are spam/trolling, but they appear to have waved the w:White flag as if to say they give up. --Ralsurr 12:38, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
For your information an update here although it remains to be seen what happens - regards --Herby talk thyme 09:30, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

ResubmissionEdit

Thanks for the notice, I've resubmitted again. See you. --Ascánder 11:34, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for noticing. You make me relieved :) --Aphaia 11:43, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

Endorsement strikingEdit

Sorry about that. I was looking to see if I had to contact someone, but I didn't find Board elections/2007/Endorsements/en. Nishkid64 (talk) 23:49, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

RE ConfimationEdit

Thanks :) Was starting to get worried! :) DragonFire1024 03:49, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

Would you look at this?Edit

Board elections/2007/ga - it is an "election" page but by the look of it it might not be a valid one? Thanks --Herby talk thyme 10:28, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

Thanks for noticing me. It could be on a good faith .. but hardly accepted as Election notice :D I speedied it. Again, thanks! --Aphaia 13:24, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

committee questionEdit

It would be appreciated if you could take a look at the section of Danny's questions, entitled whistleblower policy. It contains a few negative statements which are not, in fact, questions. The first is a complaint from User:WiseWoman in which the entire content is a rant about women's rights and equality, not a bit about danny's candidacy. The second is a complaint from GerardM demanding the withdrawal of Danny's candidacy, which does not contain a single question or a single inquistitive statement. I have struck the latter, but was reverted and told "I do not have the right" so I am bringing it up here. I believe that having the committee maintain the integrity of the candidate's question sections is critical to ensuring a fair election:While candidates may sling mud at each other, it is entirely unfair for people qualified to give endorsements (i.e. excluding the board) to sling mud at them on their article. The segments in question should be moved to Danny's talk page. Also, I believe some sort of statement at the top of each candidate's question page should be made stating "This page is for actual questions to the candidates, not commentary on their platform"

Copying to the other members of the committee. Thank you for your attention and time.Swatjester 15:02, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

(copied from my Talk): Swatjester, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I'll speak with other members of the committee today so that we can come to an agreement on how to proceed. In the interim, please do not strike or otherwise changes comments from other users on the candidate pages. We appreciate your interest in the election. Philippe 16:36, 19 June 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for bringing it up, Swatjester. However I express my serious grievance for your striking. I am very shocked to see such occur. I think you have no right to censor the page in such a manner and you should not have done that. Personally I appreciate Guillom to get the previous edition back quickly.
And, I would point out your action was contradicted with my statement as Election committee chair about discussion about candidate, I as Committee Chair recommend to bring it up to question page instead. In my opinion you could have bring it up without touching such discussion, in a calmer way, and then you would have been thanked by us.
As for the place of discussion, I wonder why you bring up to my talk page. In my opinion it should be election talk in general, Talk:Board elections/2007/en, as the Election notice cleary indicates.
Also I found you misunderstood some element on your statement the above. I personally wish you don't give any instruction to the other people regarding this election, since you apparently have different opinions from us, Eleccom.
Personally I am truly disappoint with your actions. I think it is twice you break the rule and instruction and behave as if you are over those things. You brought foundation account issue to my page, while I explicitly say "sorry no" on the top of my user page.
Please note, the above is totally my personal opinion, and the committee may take an official action to prevent such irregualr censorship again happening. --Aphaia 01:18, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Endorsement of Sarek of VulcanEdit

May I have a correction and a removal of the strikethrough of my endorsement. I did not understand how to specify my home wiki. It is en:User:LaughingVulcan. (Note that I am not trying to do this myself, only because I don't want to cause confusion.) Thank you. LaughingVulcan 02:31, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for your notice, however we would like you to give a link on your user pages respectively, as the rule indicated. Please reread the instruction and follow the way. Thank you for your understanding. --Aphaia 03:01, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
I see. I think I have now done that part of it right, and thank you for the correction. What is the process now for correcting the strikeout or adding my name again (and do I do that, or you? Assuming that I finally got it right.) LaughingVulcan 03:15, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for your correction .. eh, I am sorry to say you, but now I found you don't meet one of the voting criteria: you must have 400 edits before June 1, 2007, while you have an aged enough account (created before May 1, 2007). At least in my counting, so. Thank you for your interest for this election and understanding. --Aphaia 03:25, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Ah, I apologize for not recognizing the 400 edit point had to be passed by June 1. I look forward to participation in the next election. And thank you for all your efforts in helping me, and helping me to understand. LaughingVulcan 03:51, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
No problem, and I'll be happy to see you more involved into the Election in the next one. Cheers, --Aphaia 03:58, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Endorsement of Benjism89Edit

In fact I've just added yesterday a link to meta at the bottom of my user page ... Benjism89 06:43, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Thanks, I got it. In the next occasion, I recommend you to put at the top instead :) --Aphaia 09:47, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Hello, please, You might want to unstrike him here Board_elections/2007/Endorsements/en#Yann too, best regards --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 08:55, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

Endorsment of User:Ausir & User:WarXEdit

I have added the link to meta. Here is the diff: diff masti (talk to me) 10:21, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Thanks, I got it! --Aphaia 10:25, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
I fixed the signatures Masti 15:10, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Noticed, many thanks! --Aphaia 15:11, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Greudin endorsementsEdit

Fixed Greudin 11:38, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Thanks, with those links, your eligibility on French Wikibooks is now confirmed. --Aphaia 11:40, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

User:David Legrand is n:fr:User:David Legrand (and all other « David Legrand » who are linked in User:David Legrand). Best regards.--David Legrand 12:30, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

I mean, it isn't proof enough if only meta:user:David Legrand said that. We need also it is assured on French Wikinews, but there is no link yet. At least I cannot find any link to meta on the user page on French Wikinews. Thank you for your attention, --Aphaia 14:00, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

TranslationEdit

I'm going to talk with our translators ;) Could you change info on sitenotice/pl?

Zapraszamy wszystkich członków społeczności do zaaprobowania kandydatów do Rady Powierniczej Fundacji Wikimedia. Zobacz prezentacje kandydatów.

I don't know where it is. Przykuta 12:15, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Eh, nevermind, all is ok :) Przykuta 12:23, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Eh, thanks! (Did you mean meta sitenotice or ...? Just out of curiosity)--Aphaia 13:57, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

Kropotkine_113's endorsementEdit

Is that correct now [2] ? Thanks a lot for your job on these elections. Kropotkine 113 12:51, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

Hello, sorry to disturb You again, Kropotkine has maybe been forgotten at Board_elections/2007/Endorsements/Submission#Yann, thank You, --birdy geimfyglið (:> )=| 17:44, 23 June 2007 (UTC)
Good point, I'll review it ... --Aphaia 17:57, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

Link user page Wikipédia frenchEdit

If you are m:user:Raziel, please put a link to meta user page on your user page here. Otherwise endorsements under the name meta user in question will be removed. Thank you for your attention, --Aphaia traductions 21 juin 2007 à 02:40 (CEST)

It's done. please, forgive me for the delay. Cordially, Raziel {boudoir} 13:19, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
De rien. Merci pour tes rapides reponces :) --Aphaia 13:53, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

Election photoEdit

You reverted his edit, but I said just because it is now used for election and at that time I expected you just have forgotten to tag it for reasons I couldn't figure. Honestly for now your revert makes me very disappointed. I expect you don't take it you have a right to release images under no license. Unless you tagged properly, your image will be deleted sooner or later.

The main reason I reverted was that I didn't feel that "nosource" was appropriate, as there was a source given in the upload description. The reason I didn't license it was that since it was my wife's work, rather than mine, I didn't feel comfortable tagging it without asking her first -- which I keep forgetting to do. :-( I'll make sure I properly tag it when I get home. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find a sourced-but-unlicensed tag to put on there.--SarekOfVulcan 16:09, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
Since I couldn't find a "no license" tag, I duplicated the "No source" one, changed the wording, and put it up there. Good for now?--SarekOfVulcan 16:18, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
...and now it's back to "no source".--SarekOfVulcan 19:37, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
  • reset

With apologies Aphaia, I have responded to the user's talk page --Herby talk thyme 19:57, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

IP endorsementEdit

See [3]. Nishkid64 (talk) 17:28, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

Also, [4] [5]. Nishkid64 (talk) 17:31, 21 June 2007 (UTC)
Hi, Aphaia - another user had already struck them - I verified the strike, signed it, and asked the other user to please not strike endorsements (through message on talk page.) Philippe 17:57, 21 June 2007 (UTC)

Oops, sorryEdit

Sorry for editing that page. My edit was only intended to add extra clarity, and I only realised i shouldn't have edited that page after I clicked "save page." I'll be extra careful in future. -- Nahum 03:29, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

EndorsementEdit

See my contributions via wannabe kate's Tool, or just look at my contributions via special:contributions, either of which shows that I have over 400 edits on the English Wikipedia, and a contribution history of well over 3 months prior to June 1. The tool you used has a replication lag of over 130 days on that wiki, and therefore does not show a true picture of my edits. Hope that clears my status up, and that you will please restore my endorsement of Kingboyk for the WMF Board. Thank you. Epousesquecido 05:30, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for noticing me that, we'll try to review your contributions. Hope it works, Cheers, --Aphaia 06:13, 22 June 2007 (UTC)
Ah yes, your 500th edits on enwiki was "04:39, 2007 February 28 (hist) (diff) User talk:Yonatan (Thank You) "
Thank you for your patience, I'm going to reinstate your one. --Aphaia 06:28, 22 June 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for reinstating me so quickly!! Epousesquecido 06:41, 22 June 2007 (UTC)
Yes, thanks Aphaia for great work and thank you Epousesquecido for the endorsement, much appreciated. --Kingboyk 11:41, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

WikitainmentEdit

http://www.pop-cult.org/Wikitainment/ is now working. I'm trying to get more users for my site but I don't know how to make a proposal in a mailing list". Please, if you like it, tell your friends. You'd be welcomed as an editor.--T-man 07:44, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

en:User:Reedy BoyEdit

Hi, I've added a table of transwiki account thingys on my en.wiki Account, and also here on my meta account

Please could you re-instate my endorsement for Kingboyk

Thanks,

Reedy Boy 11:06, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank for giving a link, done. --Aphaia 12:14, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Wikimedia Board Election re KingboykEdit

Hi. I believe my userpage here now links to my en-Wiki userpage. I should be grateful if my endorsement for User:Kingboyk can be re-instated. LessHeard vanU 12:26, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you.(I would be grateful if you could re-instate Diez, below, since my comments at Kingboyk currently look rather silly!) LessHeard vanU 23:25, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

KingboykEdit

My meta and en pages are now interlinked, can my endorsement be reinstated? Thanks, Deiz 16:53, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Done. Thanks! Philippe 01:28, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

EndorsementEdit

You posted on my talk page that no anonymous user can provide an endorsement. However, I linked to my enwiki page. Can you restore my endorsement? 75.32.146.205 (w:User:SFGiants) 17:34, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

Since it's late night for Aphaia, I'm going to respond to you. You will need to log in to your meta account, assure that there is a link from your meta account to your en wiki page, and that there is a link from your en page to your meta account. Then, you may re-endorse, but it has to be done while you are logged in from meta. Once you're done, please just let Aphaia or myself know so that we can verify it. Thanks! Philippe 17:40, 22 June 2007 (UTC)

another endorseEdit

Hi, I've created the endorsement links as requested. Bucketsofg 03:10, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

Looks like your endorsements have been reinstated. Thanks! Philippe 03:37, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

EndorsementsEdit

Got it, missed that. Will fix immediately, thanks. Chacor 05:02, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

No problem, thank you for your attention. --Aphaia 05:05, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

Sorry but in it.wiki i had my user renamed into It:Utente:Helios, i forgot to update the current page on meta, is my vote still valid? --Helios89 19:17, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

RFDEdit

About your comment on RFD page: yeah... in fact I didn't "tag" imgs as speedy del :)--Nick1915 - all you want 19:23, 23 June 2007 (UTC)

Translation of Board elections/2007/Candidates/itEdit

I've been too slow, the work is done. I'll have a look around to find some other way to go on contributing. Cheers. Pac72 13:34, 24 June 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for your interest, there will be more work for us :) Please keep your eyes still on request pages. Cheers, --Aphaia 15:34, 24 June 2007 (UTC)
Return to the user page of "Aphaia/Archive9".