Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program/Support/Mouryan
- Wikipedia username
- Email (optional)
I primarily contribute to the Bengali Wikipedia. I believe Bengali is still not proportionately represented on Wikipedia; considering that it has a large number of speakers. With a will to improve this condition, I have been contributing to Bengali Wikipedia since the past three and a half years and it has been an enriching, insightful, informative and pleasant journey thus far. I have a been a consistent editor of bn.wiki and regularly perform vandalism checks, create latest templates, improve existing templates by fixing backdated (code) errors, upload images (including necessary representational SVG files) to Commons, roam about a multitude of articles; properly categorizing them besides of course starting new Articles on a variety of topics. I had also started the Wikipedia Banan Project on Bengali Wikipedia that is primarily dedicated to making bnwiki appear professional by correcting typos and inadvertent spelling errors. The project is aimed at helping improve quality-of-language in Bnwiki. I am a hugely active participant in the recently approved West Bengal Wikimedians User Group. Although I reside outside West Bengal myself, I have put an immense amount of focus on this newly approved Wikimedia affiliate (User-group) I have encouraged and keep encouraging wikimedians from West Bengal and the other parts of the country (India) and really the whole world to come forward and be a part of this great initiative. I have plans in the immediate future of conducting thematic editathons and wikidatathons to boost the information presence about the state of West Bengal (and Tripura) on both enwiki and bnwiki and on Wikidata. I shall also, in the near future get in touch with two other Indic language communities to hold similar kind of editathon in their respective local wikis so that the information presence about the State in other Indic language Wikis too get enhanced.
In 2016, I had attended Train the Trainer (TTT), hosted by CIS. Subsequently I also attended the WCI 2016. These in-person Wiki events proved to be a great learning experience for me so in January last year, I led a Mini version of Training workshop exclusively for the benefit of my community.
I usually make use of both my personal Blog and on Wiki platforms to document accomplished works. The sharing and exchange of ideas go a long way towards a strong Wikipedia community building and needless to say is one of the best practices.
An interview of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrw9hZsmjkg A write-up in my blog stressing on the need for contributing to the World's Largest Encyclopedia (in Bengali): http://uttorihawa.blogspot.in/2017/04/blog-post_26.html
Global contribution: https://tools.wmflabs.org/guc/?user=Mouryan
What type of support you need
Why do you need this support (Internet and/or laptop)
My laptop has almost stopped functioning properly and consequently I have become crippled as I'm unable to contribute to Wikimedia projects as frequently now. My computer crashes very often. Twice I have had to replace the Mosfet (it seems; as the technician told me) and sometimes my computer refuses to charge. Even after spending atrocious amounts towards repairs the uncertainty persists and before long my device is going to cause me trouble again. As I'm a student it has also become somewhat challenging for me monetarily to repeatedly try and repair my laptop. This has hampered my active participation to the Wiki Asian Month (I had signed up as a language coordinator but due to the unexpected 'misbehavior' of my device that followed I couldn't fulfill my responsibilities) and other editathons on wiki. I no longer want to remain incapacitated in this way and if I'm donated a laptop I promise to use it in a dedicated manner for the improvement of Wikivoyage in Bengali besides editing Wikipedia on a regular basis. As I am currently a student it is a little difficult for me to overcome the problem and get myself a laptop in working condition. So a laptop, if I'm provided will prove to be really helpful and aid me in continuously adding and improving content across various wikimedia projects.
How will you use this in the next six months?
I am an old member of the community and can quite responsibly state that in the coming six months, I shall categorically carry out the following
-> Create more than 30 new Wikivoyage articles. This project is currently in Incubator and we're presently aiming to bring the Project out of Incubator. To achieve this it's essential to create as many standard articles as we can.
Apart from this I'll parallely discharge my favorite job on-Wiki (drastically improving and rectifying existing content)
-> Aggressively contribute to Bengali wikipedia; I intend to host the first editathon of the recently approved West Bengal Wikimedians User Group in either the month of March or April (preferably April as the ongoing editathon on bnwiki will have concluded by then) A perfectly functional laptop will help me a great deal in this regard. I am really sincere about this project in particular and to the extent I've already begun a process of taking a poll regarding the Editathon subject. All the community members would share their opinion.
-> Contribute to Wiktionary. I have learnt recently from a fellow Thamizh wikipedian and shall put in my best efforts to improve the current status of bn wiktionary project.
-> I will be able to contribute to Commons manifold as well. Sometimes when I'm trying to batch upload or upload multiple images (covering a similar subject) using any Upload tools I have faced the problems where my computer had suddenly turned off. My computer has a low RAM and the power barely lasts when the charge is disconnected. So sometimes the work goes futile.
->I want to aggressively contribute more to Wikidata. Wikidata provides flexibile ways of lateral queries of knowledge. Recently, the Article Placeholder was also introduced for Bengali wikipedia. In the coming months, I will put focus to create Comprehensive wikidata items through both creation of new items and adding labels and other data to existing items. I recently learnt about how to use SPARQL so I'll try to make use and run queries to identify the gaps.
->It will also enable me to conduct Outreach activities efficiently
Community discussion and endorsementsEdit
Please keep the discussion friendly, and note number of endorsement may not be the only way to assess an application's merit
- Support -- According to my observations, Mouryan has been a very promising Indian Wikipedian who really needs some Internet access and better computing facilities. ViswaPrabhaവിശ്വപ്രഭtalk 18:45, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- Maurya is an active Wikimedian. He needs a laptop.খাঁ শুভেন্দু (talk) 19:02, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- Karikkan (talk) 19:05, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support --He is active and experienced contributor. --Raju Jangid (talk) 19:10, 11 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support---విశ్వనాధ్.బి.కె. (talk) 03:18, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Muzammil (talk) 04:14, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- Balajijagadesh (talk) 04:20, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Abhinav619 (talk) 09:11, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- পশ্চিমবাংলা (talk)
- Support -- Pranayraj Vangari (talk) |Contribs) 11:37, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Mourya will be able to contribute better with the support. --Rahmanuddin (talk) 11:59, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Mourya is a deserving candidate. -- Sankoswal (talk) 12:24, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Gopala Krishna A (talk) 12:26, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Deserving candidate --Pavanaja (talk) 13:06, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Mourya is a dedicated wikimedian. He deserves the support.--ব্যা করণ (talk) 13:29, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 15:31, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 15:54, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Abha Pradhan (talk) |Contribs) 16:10, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support পার্থ 02:53, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Mourya is an active contributor several Indic language Wikipedias, and also various Wikimedia projects. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 10:04, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Very active contributer --Aliva Sahoo (talk) 10:45, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Meenakshi nandhini (talk) 10:33, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support - There should not be hesitations to support the young and dynamic wikipedians in any form, whether hardware or projects. Mourya is indeed a dynamic contributor. I sincerely endorse my support to this guy. Ahmed Nisar (talk) 19:12, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Prateek Pattanaik (talk) 06:00, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Ajaybanbi (talk) 13:13, 14 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 02:02, 15 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I know Mourya personally from a very long time, A passionate and always enthusiastic Wikipedian. He has a lot of potential, and this support will help him to contribute more to the movement.--Sailesh Patnaik 19:31, 16 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support--Rajeeb Dutta
- Support --No-brainer.Winged Blades of Godric (talk) 15:54, 26 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Sugeesh (talk) 17:54, 26 February 2018 (UTC)