Grants:PEG/UG TH/WLX in Thailand 2016
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Proposed activity schedule
- 4 Measures of success
- 5 Resources and risks
- 6 Budget
- 7 Discussion
The overall objective of this project is to expand Wikipedia community in Thailand by increasing the number of editors, increasing the amount of freely licenced materials related Thailand in Wikimedia Commons and improving quality of the content on Wikipedia. We are planning to organising at least three contests and ten meetups this year including:
- Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Thailand (WLETH2016)
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Thailand (WLMTH2016)
- Wikipedia Asian Month 2016 in Thailand (WAM2016)
- 10 Monthly meetups/edit-a-thons
We have received positive feedbacks from previous years and look forward to organise them again. Participants are eligible for prizes in these contests throughout the year. Within this scope, we would like to ask for funding for the prizes for the winners, the venue and promotional materials to organise the events. As a result of this movement, we hope that Thai Wikimedia Community would gain more visibility among Wikipedia communities.
- Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Monuments
The WLMTH2016 and the WLETH2016 are parts of public photo competitions by Wikimedia members. We have organised these event in Thailand since 2013 with support from both the international coordinator team and local sponsors. Photographs from Thailand have won international prizes in 2013, 2014 and 2015, and we have secured a number of partners for WMTH. This project here does not only increase the number of Thai heritage images on commons but also reaches out to the Thai people and educate them on how various wiki projects work.
WLMTH2015 #1 & WLM2015 #9 Winning photo: KOSIN SUKHUM
WLMTH2015 #5 & WLM2015 #5 Winning photo: by Siripatwongpin
- Wikipedia Asian Month
Wikipedia Asian Month (WAM) is an online Edit-a-thon organised worldwide. It is aimed at enhancing the understanding among Asian Wikipedia communities. Postcards from different Asian countries are sent to active contributors. The first edition of the Wikipedia Asian Month was held last year (November 2015), which attracted more than 23 Thai volunteers and over 100 articles were created on Thai Wikipedia as part of the event. This year we look forward to being part of it again.
- Meetups/edit-a-thons to organise/promote WLX events
From now on, regular meetups/edit-a-thons will be organised every month. It will be held at different locations around Bangkok especially at universities or academic institutions. We plan to increase number of editors and increase coverage of Wikipedia while at the same time improve the content of Wikipedia by encouraging university's students, experts from different fields to contribute. The budget will cover the cost for the venue and food.
Proposed activity scheduleEdit
- April: Preparation of the contests, setting up rules, launching websites.
- May: Press release of the events (WLE, WLM and WAM), notification to the public (within Wikipedia, social media, mailing lists, PR), preparation of promotional materials (t-shirts, souvenirs, merchandise, etc.)
- June: WLE upload period
- July: Judging of the WLE and announcement national awards (by mid July) with submission to the international contest (by 31 July)
- August: WLM and WAM advertisement period
- September: WLM upload period
- October: Judging of the WLM and announcement national awards (by mid October) with submission to the international contest (by 31 October), The Wikipedia Adventure as preparation for the Asian Month.
- November: WAM period and judging of the WAM
- December: Judging of the WAM
- January: Award presentation ceremony
- February: Last meetup, grant report
Meetup/edit-a-thon is planned to take place every month from May 2016 to February 2017.
- Eligibility/judging criteria
- Participants must contribute according to the criteria set by the organisers (TBA for WLE and WLM).
- The submitted articles (for WAM) must comply with notability criteria.
- The submitted photographs must be original (for WLE and WLM), which will be judged by our volunteers, professional photographers and columnists.
- Articles created as part of the WAM will be evaluated by our volunteers/administrators based on the criteria set by the international organiser (see Wikipedia Asian Month/2015 Edition).
Fit with strategyEdit
- Increasing participation: We aim to recruit and train new editors in Thailand (Global south). The submitted photographs from the WLE and WLM will be used in our future activities (e.g., edit-a-thons, meetups, etc.).
- Increasing quality: We will ask our new editors to improve various articles by combination of approaches including taking a new photo and upload it to Commons. We also look forward to cooperating the submitted photographs into Wikipedia articles.
Measures of successEdit
For Wikimedians in Thailand, we expect at least 3 local partners and we expect to get coverage in the national media outlet and have our advertising materials sent to schools and universities.
Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves MonumentsEdit
- We expect to receive at least 3,000 files uploads for both the WLE and WLM.
- We expect at least 10% of the uploads are quality images and will be used in various project over a period of time.
- We expect to have at least 5 volunteers in the organising team.
- We expect to have professional photographers, columnists as judges.
- Tracking tools
- http://tools.wmflabs.org/glamtools/glamorous.php (for images)
- https://metrics.wmflabs.org/ (for volunteers)
Wikipedia Asian Month 2016Edit
- We expect at least 100 articles to be created on Thai Wikipedia.
- We expect at least 30 volunteers to participate.
- We expect to have at least 3 active volunteers as organising team and judges.
- Tracking tools
- https://tools.wmflabs.org/wam/judging.php (for articles)
- We expect to gain new editors
Resources and risksEdit
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects
- WLM2013 (competition page, a mini-grant was requested from the international team)
- WLM2014 (competition page, PEG proposal, PEG report)
- WLX2015 (WLE competition page, WLM competition page, WLX competition page, PEG proposal, PEG report)
- Risks from the international side of the WLM and WLE contests. No international team, no international awards, delays in coordination, etc.
- We have learned the lesson and prepared for the worst. The contest can stand alone on its schedule without the international team.
- Project budget table
1USD is approximately THB35
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Awards||Cash prize, trophy and certificate for the 1st winner, trophies and certificates for 2nd-10th winners (1st prize=10,000THB Trophies and certificates for 2nd-10th=10,000THB)||contest||2 (WLM & WLE)||20,000||40,000||THB||~USD1,143|
|2||Promotion||(1) Web hosting, domain name, online advertisement and other associated costs
(2) Promotional materials (e.g. flyers, posters, postcards, calendars, t-shirts), postage and other cost associated with physical mailing of promotional materials
|3||Travel||Financial support for winners/participants to attend meetup/award presentation ceremony
(1) actual amount but no more than 3,000THB
(2) On average, it should be ~1,500THB per person.
|4||Meetups||10 monthly meetups (venue and food for about 10-20 volunteers/participants during the course of the project)||meeting||1,000||10||10,000||THB||~USD286|
|5||Contingency||Incidental costs (Custom duty+other charges on WP merchandise sent by WMF, travels, phone calls, souvenirs/trophies for local corporate partners, exhibition of photos at the conclusion of the program, extra postage fees, stamps and packages etc.)||7,500||THB||~USD214|
- Total cost of project
- THB121,500 (~USD3,500).
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- THB121,500 (~USD3,500).
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- We are expected to get non-financial assistance from local partners.
- We expect a local partner to do PR in the newspaper. (In 2014, we had an article published in the BangkokPost.)
- We expect a local partner to do PR on their website. (In 2014, we secured a PR spot on Pantip.com - a website with similar raking to Thai Wikipedia in Thailand.)
- Volunteers are expected to distribute the news of the competition via their social networks - words of mouth approach.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We would like to request some WP merchandise such as t-shirts, mugs from WMF.
- Before September, we mail small souvenirs like pins and sticker with our promotional materials.
- We mail bigger items like t-shirt, mug, WLM notebook /calendar to juries, 11th-20th runner up, local partners and volunteers at the conclusion of WLM.
- The total items mailed out last year was about 200 parcels.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Wikimedia merchandises (1,000 stickers + 300 pins + 100 t-shirts)
- Really great project running and expanding for the 4th year in a row. You have my full support for Athikhun as a new program leader. --Taweethaも (talk) 07:34, 27 April 2016 (UTC)
- Collaborated. --B20180 (talk) 03:45, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
- As an international WLE team member I am fully confident in UG TH's ability to organise Wiki Loves events in their country and reach the goals. Thailand has a good track record of organising such events, so I am looking forward to seeing them again this year — NickK (talk) 13:05, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
- this proposal consists of projects aimed at increasing the number of contributors via meetups/edit-a-thons and contests, materials (photos and articles). and they also plan to work on increasing quality. and yes (per NickK), their good track record of organising such projects is reassuring --アンタナナ 13:49, 30 April 2016 (UTC)
- This is a great idea. It is good to get additional users from various parts of the globe and such projects are the way to do it! WhisperToMe (talk) 22:57, 5 May 2016 (UTC)
- Good for Thailand tourism Octahedron80 (talk) 07:54, 9 May 2016 (UTC)
- Great project! --Pilarbini (talk) 05:58, 13 May 2016 (UTC)
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Discussed at Wikipedia_15/Events/Bangkok on 15 January 2016.
- Notified at WMTH mailing list on 27 April 2016.
- Notified at Thai Wikipedia's announcement board on 27 April 2016.
- Notified at Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list on 27 April 2016.
- Notified at Wiki Loves Earth mailing list on 27 April 2016.
- Notified at Wikipedia Thailand Facebook group on 28 April 2016.
- All partners from previous years (dtac, BMN-MRT, Siam Society, CCHT & Pantip.com) were notified by email on 4 May 2016.
- Notified at WMTH mailing list on 09 May 2016.
- Mass message was sent to users at the Thai Wikipedia on 14 May 2016. We asked them to sign-up as volunteers at w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:ศาลาชุมชน/อภิปราย/WLX2016TH.
- Grant approval notification at WMTH mailing list on 19 May 2016