Grants:PEG/AddisWang - Wikimedia User Group China/Wikipedia Asian Month/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
A one-month online edit-a-thon on 43 language versions of Wikipedia, with one month preparation (setting up the local page, prompting event, developing event tool) and four months warp-up (assisting articles, distributing barnstars, collection mailing address, sending postcards etc).
- What worked well?
- Postcards are the best way to reach out and to appreciate our volunteers. It is cheap to make and cheap to mail, even for international mailing. But postcards is also a good incentive that motive people to gain them, especially from many different communities, makes meaning value higher than actually (physical value).
- Decide to launch the event also on English Wikipedia. We've discussed a lot but finally decide to include English Wikipedia, which turns out to be a good move. We not only had a lot of participants and outcome from English Wikipedia, but also attract many bilingual Wikipedians contributed to the Asian Month in other Wikipedia projects besides English. English Wikipedia is also an active community, that we receive a lot of thoughts and feedback before, during and after the event, which improved our rules, and helps us to understand what users need (like a Q&A page).
- Title of "Ambassador" is one of the good ideas. It is common that if we set the goal to five articles then many people will just finish five articles. But adding some competition, and using a title that is not make people feel competition, plays very important role in the event to reach so many outcome, In the end, we have Wikipedians who willing to receive another postcards by contribute 30-50 articles (relatively high quality according to our rules), which in my point of view makes this event very successful and effective.
- What didn't work?
- Process of sending postcards is delayed badly due to late collection of participants' address.O
- One Wikipedia finally did not accomplish the checking process.
- Standard is perceived to be a bit high, and most participants (76%, according to the post-event survey) who accomplished earned the reward have two or more years' experience on Wikipedia.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Will provide and conduct more training material and sessions to organizers.
- Will set a deadline for participants submit their mailing address
- New postcards will be made before the event and will start to send postcard, in several times, instead of one time, immediately after the event.
- Also run a few offline activities, especially for small communities, to help new contributors involve in the Asian Month, since we have relatively high standard on articles compared with most events.
- Lower the standard, and add more diverse ways to contribute.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- 20 Wikipedia communities; 600 active Wikipedians; 1000 new articles
- Help smaller Wikipedia community
- Enhance the collaboration and communication between Asian Wikimedians
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Yes. We achieved all of the goals we set.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|20 Wikipedia communities||43|
|600 active Wikipedians||1,096|
|1000 new articles||6,096||include roughly 100 expanded articles|
|Help smaller Wikipedia community||23 Wikipedia projects||Wikipedia project has less than 10 thousand articles|
|Enhance the collaboration and communication between Asian Wikimedians||First succesful Asian Wikimedian collaboration; 13 Wikimedia affiliations Involved; Mailing list setup|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||1,096||Participants who create their accounts before October 15th, 2015|
|2. # of new editors||190||Participants who create their accounts after October 15th, 2015|
|3. # of individuals involved||1,096||estimated number|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||N/A||This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images.|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||N/A||This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images.|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||6,096||Mostly high-quality new articles|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||42,067,774||Contribution by new articles only. Expanded articles & other edits are not included in this number due to technical difficulty of doing so|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- As mentioned in #Lessons learned section, although the line we set is five articles, but many people contributed more than that number. It could be users are competing on becoming ambassadors, but also for those contributed a few more, I think the Asian Month let them find a place that shares with their's idea.
- Editors on Wikipedia is like an (American) football, which small in two ends and big in the middle. Our movement focuses more on newcomers and super editors, which is totally make sense. But Wikipedia Asian Month offers them, who in the middle, an opportunity to participant, involving, and rewarded within the community.
- How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- There is 160 participants who create their accounts after October 15th, 2015 (half month before the event)
- How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- There are 6,096 articles (includes roughly 100 expanded articles) newly added in 42 Wikipedia projects. The event has some strict rules to ensure the quality of these articles. For example, new articles require at least 3,500 bytes (varies by language, mostly 3,500, but some decided to have 2,500 bytes) and at least 300 words (excluding infoboxes, tables, lists, references etc.) Articles also need to fulfill some basic requirements of Wikipedia such as notability and verifiability. All of these rules improve the overall quality of Wikipedia projects.
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||China||Postcard||200 pieces||1||150||150||97.8||RMB||Convert rate: 6.52 RMB = 1 USD|
|5||China||N/A||N/A||N/A||86||0||RMB||Still cheaper than making button in U.S.|
|1||Japan||Postcard||100 pieces||1||980||980||3413.7||JPY||Convert rate: 113.79 JPY = 1 USD|
|2||Japan||Postage||1 Piece||70 or 73||59||4250||6827.4||JPY||40 stamps are combination of 55 yen and 18 yen, due to the lack of 70 yen stamps, and 55 yen stamp include 3 yen donation|
|1||Philipines||Postcard||1 piece||300||18.33||5500||4673.53||PHP||Convert rate: 46.74 PHP = 1 USD|
|1||India||Stamps||1 piece||200||25 or 100||12500||5321.6||INR||Convert rate: 66.52 INR = 1 USD|
|1||External||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||$94.52||N/A||USD||WMIN covers extra $94.52 expense|
|Total||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||$498.13||545.5||USD||Not include Wiki-ID part. Remains $141.91|
|Wikimedians in Thailand||Stamps||720/20.51||THB/USD|
|WMTW||Stamps and Postcards||1872/58.10||TWD/USD|
|Wikipedia Connection||Ambassador Certificate||12.5||USD|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- $ 906.5
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- $ 756.5 ($545.5 with Addis, $211 with Ricky)
- Total amount spent on this project
- $ 493.58 + $100 from WMTW + $20.51 from Wikimedians in Thailand +$12.5 from Wikipedia Connection
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- $ 756.5
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- $100 from WMTW, $20.51 from Wikimedians in Thailand, additional $94.57 expense in India covers by WMIN, $12.5 from Wikipedia Connection
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- Addis: $141.91; Ricky: $186
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- Re-purpose the China part $36 to make additional 30-50 buttons and mail expense from China to U.S., will bring it to Wikimania to encourage more people to collaborate with us in this year WAM. Any money remains after that (likely to be around $10) will be used to print poster and introduction sheet which will be brought to Wikimania as well.
- We want to re-purpose other remaining fund ($105.91) for this year Wikipedia Asian Month (mostly will be spent on stamps), will be integrated into next grant proposal.