Grants:PEG/AddisWang - Wikimedia User Group China/Wikipedia Asian Month
Successfully hold the Wikipedia Asian Month, practice the regional corporation with in the Wikimedia Asia communities, help the Wikipedia knows more about Asia and enhance the understanding among the Asian communities. The event will also help small language versions of Wikipedia and small Wikipedia community to hold an online Edit-a-thon, in order to help their community health.
We are hoping to have around 20 Wikipedia communities participate, and sending postcard from different communities to around 600 active Wikipedians, which means at least 1000 new articles in overall activity.
It has been a long time that Asian Wikimedians try to work together to create bigger influence based on regional corperation. Instead of planning a great project that requires a lot of experience of regional corperation, Asian Wikimedians decide to launch this relatively small project, to not only improve the Wikipedia quality and community health, but also build a channel and platform to enhance the communication.
The Wikipedia Asian Month is plan to hold during the November 2015, each Wikipedia community will hold an online edit-a-thon on their Wikipedia, to call Wikipedians contribute content about other Asian countries. For editors who accomplish a small requirement of the edit-a-thon, will able to receive a postcard from other Asian countries.
There are three stage of the activity.
- Preparation (Before November): Each Wikipedia community will set up the Wikipedia Asian Month page on their local Wikipedia, translate the rules and start to design the postcard (if they will join the sending postcard part.)
- During the event (in November): calling for participate and use Wikipedia Month as a way to outreach. Start to make postcards.
- Warp-up (After November): Collect the list of postcard receivers and randomly distributed to other country. Send the postcard.
All Wikipedia communities, specifically Asian communities, including but not limited to:
- Bengali Wikipedia
- Bikol Sentral Wikipedia
- Chinese Wikipedia
- English Wikipedia
- Gujarati Wikipedia
- Hindi Wikipedia
- Indonesian Wikipedia
- Japanese Wikipedia
- Kannada Wikipedia
- Korean Wikipedia
- Ladino Wikipedia
- Malayalam Wikipedia
- Marathi Wikipedia
- Odia Wikipedia
- Punjabi Wikipedia
- Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia (Incubator)
- Russian Wikipedia
- Tagalog Wikipedia
- Tamil Wikipedia
- Thai Wikipedia
- Ukrainian Wikipedia
- Urdu Wikipedia
Fit with strategyEdit
Online Edit-a-thon is a way to improve Wikipedia's quantity and quality, as well as increase the activeness of the community, because people can find something to participate and belongs to.
The culture exchange in the Edit-a-thon is the good topic for gathering people and attract the attention. Wikimedia Movement itself contains the idea of how people from different cultures and regions getting to know each other and collaborate together. Thus, Wikipedia Asian Month could be a good media topic.
While postcard is a very cheap incentive especially in developing countries. For Wikipedians, now it's not hard to get a Wikipedia souvenir. Postcard could also be a good topic on social media, all the friends of who receive the postcard may see it and getting interest on Wikipedia.
This Online Edit-a-thon is also special design for small language versions of Wikipedia which don't have capability, or don't have enough impact to apply grant, to run a successful Edit-a-thon. For these Wikipedia, such activity will maintain the community health.
Measures of successEdit
- Participate communities: around 20 language versions of Wikipedia communities
- Participate Wikipedians: around 600 Wikipedians will participate in this activity.
- New article: at least 1000 new articles will be written in general activity. (We have rules made already to control the quality.)
- Build a sustainable Wikimedia Asian community for further cooperation.
Resources and risksEdit
- Postcards Managing Team: Addis Wang, Josh Lim, Ravishankar Ayyakkannu, Ricky Setiawan,ShuangKuan Liang-chih, Takashi Ota, Taweetham
- Other Organizers:Kenrick, Shi Zhao, Bekhruzbek Ochilov
- Local Organizers:See list here
- Calling Wikipedian to participate the activities
- Coordinate the activities in many communities and languages.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Affiliation||Postcard (USD)||Postage (USD)||Unforeseen(USD)||Bank Fee (USD)||Total Amount||Postcards Amount||Contact Person||Confirmation|
|Wikimedia Philippines||100||70||17||10||197||200||Josh Lim||Sky Harbor (talk)|
|70||120||19||2||211||200||Ricky Setiawan||Ricky Setiawan|
|Wikimedia India||Wiki Loves Food||80||8||10||98||200||Ravishankar Ayyakkannu||Ravidreams (WMIN) (talk)|
|Wikimedia User Group China||15||100||11.5||15||141.5||200||Addis Wang||AddisWang (talk)|
|Wikimedia Taiwan||20 from WMTW||80 from WMTW||0||0||100||200||Reke & Liang||Liang (WMTW) (talk)|
Reke (WMTW) (talk)
|Wikimedia Tokyo/Kansai||30||60||9||10||109||100||Takashi Ota||Takot (talk)|
|Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD||Irvin Sto. Tomas||Filipinayzd (talk)|
|Wikimedians in Thailand||25||25||0||0||50||50||Taweetham||Taweetham|
- Printing postcards in large amount usually has minimum amount (otherwise it is super expensive for printing piece by piece), which is different in different place. We are trying to make the minimum amount of postcards in each country or region.
- Unsent postcards are kept by local affiliation and will be used or sent in future events or activities.
- Wiki-ID is a Indonesian Wikimedia community that affiliated to the Wikimedia Indonesia.
- Paypal charges varies includes transactions fee and currency convert fee. So bank fee for Paypal will be $10 each to make sure all possible charges are covered.
- Paypal banned in Indonesia, wire transfer is the alternative way, $2 charged by Indonesian bank side.
- Bank fee $15 for WMCN, is charged by Addis' bank when WMF wires fund.
- Cost for Wikimedia India is only for postal expense. They already have picture postcards printed for Wiki Loves Food
- Wikimedia Taiwan will use their own money for printing and mailing postcards, the budget is about 20 USD for postcard and 80 USD for postage.
- Wikipedia Asian Month will be part of "Thai Wikipedia 100K-Article project" on Thai Wikipedia, and Wikimedians in Thailand will use the fund from that project.
- Total cost of project
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- Additional sources of revenue, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- Wikimedia Taiwan will fund their part of this project: $100
- Wikimedians in Thailand will use their own fund: $50
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Legal assistance: It's will be very meaningful if the postcard can contain the logo of Wikipedia (the globe).
- Two agreements: One with Ricky for fund of Indonesia part ($211), one with Addis for rest of the fund ($545.5).
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Proposed at the Asian meetup during Wikimania 2015, has a broad discussion in facebook message group.
- Facebook event page
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Support We have discuss about this for years, finally there is a Wikipedian who is willing to take his lead and organize this event, very exciting and full support from me! Liang(WMTW) (talk) 02:34, 14 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Nice Initiative to collaborate with the neighbour countries and understand their culture. I strongly support this. --Dineshkumar Ponnusamy (talk) 10:15, 14 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Its a nice initiative to bring together Asian Wiki communities. Not only I endorse it, I am part of it and already started the project in Bengali Wikipedia. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 14:55, 17 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support I would love to see this happen. This brilliant idea was conceived during Asian Meetup at Wikimania 2015 and i am glad that i had the opportunity to be a part of it.-- Satdeep Gill (talk) 12:02, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Kudos to all who strives to get it real, it's a happy surprise to see such collaboration is planned and realizing after a long wikivacation. International Asian collaboration was what I longed for since the beginning of my Wikimedia life. I'd love to see this plan realized based on a sane and well-sustained basis. --Aphaia (talk) 17:23, 18 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support I believe this is a worthy endeavor for Wikimedians in Asia to work together. -- Namayan (talk) 14:39, 19 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support I think this can be a milestone of a first cross-collaborative WikiProject! Hidayatsrf (talk) 15:01, 19 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support I think this is nice way of collaboration between Wikimedians here in Asia. -- Nickrds09 (Talk to me) 12:54, 20 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support What a wonderful event! Great initiative makes it happen, and this is just a beginning! --Takot (talk) 14:08, 20 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Good effort! 04:06, 21 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support It's happening! I hope it will be routine event. --Bonaditya (talk) 04:49, 21 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support This is the real meaning of collaboration! Good luck to everyone participating. --Filipinayzd (talk) 01:23, 24 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support This will motivate people from sharing content beyond their country-based wikipedias/ wikiprojects --Exec8 (talk) 10:21, 24 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Events like this motivate wikimedians from all over the world to participate and contribute more. Let's make it a success! Maor X (talk) 13:57, 25 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support It is a relatively small project in term of budget but it can lead to great impact. It is a catalyst for future projects and collaborations in the region. --Taweethaも (talk) 23:56, 25 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Very good initiative. Hopefully it will encourage more Asian Wikipedia community to join. Muhraz (talk) 07:29, 27 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support --Carlojoseph14 (talk) 07:09, 28 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support I think this event is very nice to improve articles about Asia.--Katota1114 (talk) 08:00, 28 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support It might be the 'glue' needed for the future regional collaborations. XoXo (talk) 13:04, 29 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support Great event. All greetings -- Ranjithsiji (talk) 09:51, 1 November 2015 (UTC)
- Support--Manojk (talk) 19:52, 4 November 2015 (UTC)