Grants:PEG/UG TH/Wiki Loves X in Thailand 2015
We aim to grow Wikipedia editors within Thai secondary schools all over the country. We consolidate the photo contests with writing contest as per suggestions from previous approved grant application. We will provide online training and mentoring to participants during 2015 and they are eligible for prizes in three contests throughout the year.
- Wiki Loves Earth (WLE)
- Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM)
- Wiki Loves X (writing contest)
X is the topic for 2015, TBA after the completion of WLE.
- Thai schools has two semesters. The first one is from mid May to early October and the second one from early November to early March.
- WLM accepts photos uploaded during the month of September. WLE accepts photos uploaded during the month of May/June.
- The WLMTH2014 report suggests a different approach to the photo contest. The PR materials of WLM, WLE and WLX should be consolidated and sent to target audience all at once. The participants should gain a deeper experience and exposure to Wiki cultures during the course of the project.
- Activity timeline
- March: Design/production of online training material + PR material
- April: Send out PR material
- April-May: Registration
- May-June: WLE upload period
- June: Online training/mentoring + test I (technical aspect)
- July: WLE Judging [Peer-review by participants and final judgement by partners]
- August: National awards for WLE
- August: Online training/mentoring + test II (policy/guideline aspect)
- September: Certificates for those who passes the two trainings
- September-December: WLX editing period
- September: WLM upload period
- October: WLM Judging [Peer-review by participants and final judgement by partners]
- November: National awards for WLM
- January-February: WLX peer-review period
- March: National awards for WLX
- Eligibility/judging criteria
- WLX: A team of 3 persons (or 2-4 persons) - students or student(s) and teacher(s) - At least one team member must be female. The team may be registered for online training during the registration period.
- We think teamwork will encourage participants to learn together and helps provide conducive environment for female participants to perform well. This is what we learned from dtac collaboration.
- WLX has two components  writing articles and adding images/other media to it and  peer reviewing other participants. We will develop scoring system that carefully combine both aspects. Finalist will be shortlisted and juries will look at their contributions and make final judgement.
- WLM/WLE are open to the public. However, the first screening criteria for WLM and WLE submission is that the photo is used on namespace 0 (article) in any Wikimedia project on the cut-off time. Uploaders may wish to add their photos by themselves or leave it to online volunteers to add the photos to a Wikimedia project. The second screening is done by crowdsourcing peer review. The third stage is done by juries.
Thai Wikipedia and sister projects (mainly Wikimedia Common and wikivoyage)
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Increasing participation: We aim to recruit and train new editors in Thailand (Global south). We made an entry requirement to have at least one female member in a team.
- Increasing quality: We will ask our new editors to improve various articles by combination of approaches including taking a new photo and upload it to common.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
Combined three contests target
- Number of media (images, VDOs, voices, etc) uploaded to common >= 5,000
- Number of articles (created or edited) on Thai Wikipedia >=200
- Created beyond stub status or significantly improved >=20
- Number of new registered users (Wikipedia editors + Uploaders on commons): >=200
- new high-quality, medium-term to long-term contributors >=5 team (10-20 people)
- Proportion of female participants should be at least 30%. This is stipulated in eligibility criteria of WLX team member.
Specific information on WLX writing contest
- We will advertise the campaign nationwide (76 provinces + Bangkok) but will limit first-round online training to <=35 teams (<=100 participants).
- We may also limit the final-round competition to <=10 teams (<30 people).
- Online training in Thai
- New materials will be developed based on existing materials (In English: outreach, meta Wikipedia In Thai: Intro tutorial) and made available to the public on Thai Wikipedia.
- List of registered users will be made public and their contribution monitored using Wikimetrics. 
- Certificates of completion/competency will be given to those who pass the online tests. This could be arranged in an MOOC/GROOC fashion on a freely available platform e.g. Instructure CANVAS. Only test materials will be restricted/confidential to our team.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
- List of team members, including usernames (Please see the page in Thai at w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:ศาลาชุมชน/อภิปราย/Wiki_Loves_X_in_Thailand_2015. Usernames are listed at the bottom of the page.)
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects
- Risks from the international side of the WLM and WLE contests. No international team, no international awards, delays in coordination, etc.
- We have learned the lesson and prepared for the worst. The contest can stand alone on its schedule without the international team.
- Risks from dealing with secondary school students (low participation, high drop out/low retention of participants during training, poor quality after trainging)
- There are ways to mitigate this risk. We will discuss with stakeholder and established focused group to test our approaches. Many of our volunteers are veterans in Thai education sector.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
1USD is ~33THB
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost (THB)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Prizes for participants||There are three main contests. (WLM, WLE, WLX)
||100,000||3,059||1st prize receives THB10,000 and a trophy, 2nd-10th prize receives THB1,000 or a trophy. An acrylic trophy costs about THB800. This is exactly the same as approved for WLM2014.|
For writing contest (WLX), the prize is per team member and the amount is expected to triple. (Thus the distribution is 20K for WLM, 20K for WLE and 60K for WLX)
|2||Printing and postage||PR materials sent to school around the country. Web hosting/domain name. Printing and mailing certificates, awards to participants||10,000||306||We have ~ 100 secondary school addresses on our file. We aim to give certificates to all participants successfully trained as Wikipedia editors.|
|3||Wage||We may hire/compensate people who helps us on a day-to-day basis. Depending on complexity of the task, the typical wage is THB500-1,000 per day per person.||10,000||306||We need helps on specific tasks. Administrative tasks like mailing and packaging are laborious. Design/production of online training materials also needs special consideration.|
|4||Incidentals||(a) Food and beverages, travel cost and phone calls in case we have a meeting of volunteers, participants, partners, the press for photo exhibition, ediathon/training, award ceremony, interviews, discussion of the project, etc.
(b) Bank fee/commission or money order fee for money transfer.
(c) Customs/tax payable on Wikimedia merchandise - or local production of t-shirts if it is more economical than shipping them from the US.
|10,000||306||For downtown Bangkok: A reasonable meal Bangkok is ~ THB50. Average bus+train fare should be ~ THB70 per round trip. Taxi fare may be ~ THB300 per round trip. The cost may be cheaper elsewhere in the country. A t-shirt printed with a custom logo or picture costs <200THB - no minimum order.|
- Total cost of project
- THB130,000 (~USD3,937)
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- THB130,000 (~USD3,937)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
- We may received additional prizes from local partners of the contests. Last year for WLM2014, we got 10 smart phones with total value ~ THB30K or USD1,000. It is reasonable to expect that in 2015 we will get external prizes that is proportional to WMF contribution again.
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
- Wikimedia merchandises (1,000 stickers + 300 pins + 100 t-shirts)
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Notified at w:th:วิกิพีเดีย:ศาลาชุมชน/อภิปราย/Wiki Loves X in Thailand 2015 (linked from village pump and recent changes) since Jan 1st, 2015.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Collaborate with User:Taweetham and help for new users and volunteers and other projects in the future. B20180 (talk) 17:50, 1 January 2015 (UTC)
- Because I think It helps encourage more people to participate in various activities on Thai Wikipedia. Potapt (talk) 16:45, 5 January 2015 (UTC)
- excellent project Earlgray.Ler2ra (talk) 23:56, 8 January 2015 (UTC)
- thailand location support Pubat (talk) 07:36, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- Let's promote more people to join Thai Wikipedia. --Octahedron80 (talk) 07:48, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- Improved my reading ,writing,use media. --Sasakubo (talk) 16:26, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- This project is going to encourage students to participate in Thai Wikipedia. Nullzero (talk) 06:28, 25 February 2015 (UTC)