Grants:Conference/Jaqen/Italian WikiCon 2017

An older version of this grant request was made with the Project Grant template, and has been moved to a a subpage. Some of the text comes from there.

This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. Arci del Trentino administered the grant on behalf of Jaqen and CristianNX.

To organize three days of real life meetings dedicated to users of Italian language Wikimedia projects and of local languages Wikipedia.
targetItalian and regional language Wikimedia projects
strategic priorityIncreasing Participation
Improving Quality
amount-local7,000 EUR
nonprofitfiscal sponsor, yes
contact• nataliofosco(_AT_)

Goals and outcomes




Please list three to four priorities that the community has identified that they want to focus on at this conference. These should be specific and actionable.

  1. Exchange knowledge and experiences between members of the community
  2. Learning from experts outside the community
  3. Outreach to the local general public



It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.

1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
While there have been a Wikimedia Conference in Milan in 2013 and Wikimania in Esino Lario in 2016, there has never been a “WikiConference” in Italy. From an offline point of view the community seems to be missing. At Wikimania Esino Lario there were just 30-35 Italian very active editors (Italian people were more!). Wikimedia Italia organizes many events, but most of them are -naturally- conceived especially for members of the association.
More in details, according to Italian Wikipedia meetups page (it:Wikipedia:Raduni) in 2016 as of July 28th excluding the Wikipedia 15 celebrations there haven't been many meetups (15 ca) and most of them where organized by Wikimedia Italia or the Wikimania team, and not by the community. Moreover, excluding Wikimania, none of them was really a national one.
2. How does this event tie into other activities that your group has done?
As wikimedians from Trentino we have organized many events and established good relationships with many local institutions. We will build on that to organize a bigger event involving many of that institutions.
3. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what outcomes and benefits have you seen from past conferences?
This is the first event of this kind in Italy.
4. Please list the focus priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
This is the first event of this kind in Italy.
5. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
This is the first event of this kind in Italy.

Measures of success


Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You are welcome to modify, delete or add to the metrics listed below so they reflect the goals of your event.

Calculating global metrics Description Expected results
1. Number of active editors involved Existing active editors (5+ edits per month) involved at any capacity (planning, executing, participating) during the project duration We expect to involve at least 35 active editors (according to the definition 5+ edits per month) in the executing and participating. Active editors are the specific target of the project.
2. Number of individuals involved All people participating in the project (organizers, users, attendees, etc.) Besides the 35 active editors we would invite some experts. Other attendees will participate to the event for for an expected total of 100 people.
3. Number of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages # of images uploaded to Commons and added to Wikipedia articles or other Wikiproject pages During the conference we will organize an edit-a-thon by involving a local institution. We expect to collect images with authorization from the institution involved (around NUMERO). We expect to to trigger NUMERO images on LOCATION.
4. Number of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects By project (Wikipedia, Wikisource, etc.) the # of articles that were created or improved as a result of the program efforts We focus on Wikipedia in Italian and in local languages (???). We estimate the number of articles improved about 35-40, supposing that every participant would improve an article. More specifically the articles we will target are: ???
Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?



Venue and Logistics

Friendly space policy
  • Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
    We will make reference to the general friendly space policies and expectations.
  • Do you need or want guidance on how to implement a friendly space policy?
    It would help if those pages were translated into Italian, but we may do it ourselves in necessary :)

Event Program


Please give a brief outline of the conference schedule or program and any events or activities you are planning for participants. The timing, topics and format of each session should be finalized and published on Meta six weeks before the event.

The event will take place from the 17th to the 19th of November 2017 (Friday-Sunday).

We will have two parallel tracks (conferences and workshops) plus a 3 days long edit-a-thon. There will be approximately 16 hours of conferences and 16 hours of workshops. The venue will also host the Wiki Loves Monuments Italia exhibition.

The program will be adjusted according to the demands and proposals of interested users, but the following topics could be tackled:

  • Talks and workshops about Wikipedia
  • Talks and workshops about other Wikimedia projects and OSM
  • Talks and workshops about tools, templates, modules and LUA and other technical issues
  • Talks and workshops about law: copyright and creative Commons, privacy and Italian legislation (i.e. freedom of panorama and Codice Urbani). Simone Aliprandi (lawyer, expert in copyright and ICT law) and Federico Morando (economist, Lead Creative Commons Italia) gave us their availability
  • Talks and workshops about local languages and translations
  • Talks about gender gap
  • Talks about relations between Wikimedia and Wikipedia (and other projects) community
  • Wikidata. Marco Fossati gave us his availability
  • Grants
  • Edit-a-thon

We will partner with Autonomous Province of Trento, Biblioteca comunale di Trento, Museo Diocesano Tridentino and other institutions.

Community Input


Grant reviewers will be interested to read how the planning discussion developed and who was engaged. Please link below to all of the places where discussion about this conference are happening, i.e. talk pages, Facebook groups, meetup pages, notes from meetings. The most central, up to date, and relevant page should be highlighted in BOLD letters.



It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.

1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
Participants will be active editors on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, but also people actively involved in Wikimedia chapters (in particular WMI and WMCH).
2. If you are requesting funds for travel scholarships, what criteria will be used to select scholarship recipients?
Travel scolarhips will be given to experienced editors of Wikimedia projects and OSM and to active volunteers of Wikimedia chapters.
3. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
We will ask to the participants from the general public to keep in touch with us thought newsletters and/or social networks: this should increase the numbers of wiki projects user from our region and participants to our future local events. We will also invite representatives of local institutions with which we have not cooperated yet, in order to establish new relations.
4. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
No. (They're more than welcome but please consider that the event will mostly be in Italian.)



Please describe how you plan to follow up with event participants after the conference.

We will ask participants what worked well and what did not, and we will make their comments and our experience available to those who want to organize a WikiCon (in Italy or abroad) in future.

Resources and risks


Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.


Organizing team
Team User Names
Conference Grant Jaqen, Yiyi, CristianNX
Logistics Jaqen, CristianNX
Conference Program Yiyi, MLWatts
Scholarships Jaqen
Communications Jaqen, Vale93b
Volunteer Coordinators Jaqen
Wikisource Aubrey, EusebiaP
Other team members AlessioMela (tech), Syrio (graphic), Ruthven, XanonymusX (international relations), Afnecors

We already have organizer events in Trento. Recently (September 2016) we had a two-days-event called Wiki Weekend, which was funded by WMF through a rapid grant: on the first day we visited the Tridentine Diocesan Museum and had an edit-a-thon there; on the second day we did the same in a Giardino Botanico Alpino Viote. In August 2016 we had a similar event at Gianni Caproni Museum of Aeronautics.

Yiyi and MLWatts were part of Wikimania Esino Lario team.

Thanks to Wikimedia Deutschland in September 2016 Jaqen participated to WikiCon Region Stuttgart so that he could see how it worked and discuss the organizers. There he had also the possibility to discuss with the organizers of WikiConvention francophone 2016.

Regarding the Wikisource track, Aubrey is one of the founders of the international Wikisource Community User Group, and a convener of the first international Wikisource conference that was hosted by Wikimedia Austria in November 2015. He's also been in Wikimedia Italia board from 2010 til 2016, serving as President for the last 2 years.


  • Few or too-many participants
    Since this is the first event of this kind in Italy it is difficult to foresee the number of attendees. However, if the numbers are low during pre-registration we will publicize it more; also, there is room if enough for more people then we currently expect, and conference fee will help us pay for the additional food and drinks that will be needed for the catering. There are many hotels in Trento so it will be easy for people to find somewhere to sleep.



Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines.

Event budget table
# Description Unit Quantity Cost per unit Total cost Notes
1. Travel & Accomodation 4,350.00 EUR
1.1 Transports per participant *** *** *** EUR Scholarships (850€ from WMF, the remaining from chapters)
1.2 Hotel accommodation for participants day x participant *** *** *** EUR
3. Venue and meals 4,400.00 EUR
3.1 Venue, night security guard and cleaning 500.00 EUR Estimated value for Palazzo delle Albere, which the Autonomous Province of Trento has granted us for free.
3.2 Lunch day x participant 3 x 60 15.00 EUR 2,700.00 EUR Catering
3.3 Coffe breaks break x day x participant (1+2+1) x 60 5.00 EUR 1,200.00 EUR Morning and afternoon
4. Materials and communications 2,395.00 EUR
4.1 Printed materials 90.00 EUR 100 leaflets and 100 posters
4.2 Technological material 785.00 EUR 3 projectors, 1 printer, 20 power strips, 5 walkie talkies
4.3 T-shirts 325.00 EUR 40 printed cotton T-shirts
4.4 Lanyards 60.00 EUR 70 lanyards
4.5 Badge holders 25.00 EUR 100 badge holders
4.6 Flipcharts 192.00 EUR 3 flipcharts
4.7 Stationery 40.00 EUR Paper, post it, binder, adhesive tape, plastic sleeves, pens
4.8 Website 50.00 EUR Hosting and domain, for a website (possibly with its own wiki) and a mailing list
4.9 Bank fee and postal expenses 50.00 EUR
4.10 Van hire 200.00 EUR
4.11 Bags 250.00 EUR 100+
4.12 Other materials 300.00 EUR In-kind donation by Arci del Trentino, see below.
4.13 Other 38.00 EUR
5. Insurance 390.00 EUR
6. Contigency 700.00 EUR
TOTAL 12,235.00 EUR
Total cost of event
12,235.00 EUR
Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
7,000 EUR (MAX 7,000 EUR)
Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
# Description Unit Quantity Value per unit Total value Notes
1. Scolarships 3,500.00 EUR
1.1 Wikimedia Italia full scholarship 10 250.00 EUR 3,000.00 EUR WMI will contribute with 10 full scholarships (transports and hotel) and 5 partial scholarships (hotel only)
partial scholarship 5 100.00 EUR
1.2 Wikimedia Österreich scholarship 500.00€ travel reimbursement for conference participants who are residents in Austria
1.3 Wikimedia CH scolarship 10 ???€ ??? €
2. Conference fee 0.00 EUR
2.1 Conference fee per participant 0 20.00 EUR 0.00 EUR Scholarships recipients, experienced editors and active volunteers will not pay any fee. We are setting this number to zero in this budget because additional fees from additional participants will be used to cover additional expenses (particularly for the catering).
3. In-kind donations 1,735.00 EUR
3.1 Autonomous Province of Trento N/A N/A N/A 500.00 EUR Estimated value for Palazzo delle Albere, including night security guard and cleaning
3.2 Wikimania Esino Lario / Associazione Amici dell'Ecomuseo delle Grigne N/A N/A N/A 685.00 EUR Materials: 3 projectors, 20 power strips, 1 printer, 70 lanyards, 3 flipcharts, 5 walkie talkies
3.3 Arci del Trentino N/A N/A N/A 300.00 EUR Materials (loudspeakers, microphones, projection screen, video projector, ca 50 chairs)
3.4 Wikimedia Italia ??? EUR electronics (not included in the tables above)
TOTAL 4,985.00 EUR
Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.





Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.

  • Really need to connect local and online community in Italy. --AlessioMela (talk) 10:38, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
  • I hoped for something like that to come, but I am surprised WMI didn't show any strong intrest before now. If you write that in Esino "were just 30-35 Italian(s)", I think that planning an event in the same regional area to "engage at least 35-40 active users" is not a great target. This number should be higher and the location near a railway station should make possible a larger amount of partcipants, IMHO. I would try to merge wth some other WMI gatherings (yearly assembly). Personally, I would have encouraged a conference specific for platforms in local language, so I hope enough time will be focused on that.--Alexmar983 (talk) 11:25, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
  • A great idea to approach and interact with Italian audience about wiki projects! Saverio G. Malatesta (talk) 13:38, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
  • We absolutely need it! Connecting different communities involved in wiki projects it's something we haven't tried to do enough so far. --Virginia Gentilini (talk)
  • There is a lot of dynamism in many local Wiki communities in Italy; such an event would greatly help to bind them, and create personal connections, and assess common objectives. (…and Trentino is amazing in summer) Ruthven (talk) 20:33, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
  • If I can, surely I will participate. It's a very nice idea, and it would be my first RL participation after 7 years (O.M.G.) of active editing! --Horcrux92 (talk) 21:04, 17 July 2016 (UTC)
  • It would be a great opportunity for community to meet and talk and share experiences and work together for new goals --EusebiaP (talk) 06:14, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Great idea, and a great opportunity for the community to interact "live" and contribute more efficiently to the development of the project. Superchilum(talk to me!) 12:32, 18 July 2016 (UTC)
  • I would love to participate, there are some great contributors that I would like to meet for advice. --MNepi (talk) 09:58, 19 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Great idea! Maybe I'll partecipate. --Accurimbono (talk) 08:01, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Good idea, a great occasion for Italian Wikipedia and, mostly, for Regional Wikipedias, who can search for other Wikipedians. Also, Trento is, in the linguistical POV, a very good city, because in Trentino are spoken dialect of Lombard and Venetian languages, and Dolomitic ladin, who has a Wikipedia in incubator. Maybe I'll partecipate! --Sciking (talk) 14:46, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Very good idea, connection is important, aiming at development of common resources with wikipedia in regional languages.--Nickanc (talk) 20:50, 27 July 2016 (UTC)
  • The members of the team of WikiConference IT involved in Wikimania Esino Lario have been great! Yiyi has been fantastic throughout the entire event: committed, enthusiast, always kind and very active and generous on all tasks. Jaqen is a very active member of Wikimedia but he is also an excellent photographer: his capacity of representing Wikimania (Esino but also may others) has really produced a beautiful documentation which still keeps alive events (he is the author of the Wikimania Esino Lario group photo). I am sure the team will do a fantastic job with this conference. We will be pleased to support the event with the resources of Esino Lario (we should be able to borrow you two projectors if needed and we have a really great amount of cables and extensions :) --iopensa (talk) 10:37, 29 July 2016 (UTC)
  • So far, I have managed to meet Italian Wikimedians in scattered places. A snapshot of the whole national community (by Jaqen, of course) would be awesome. Hjfocs (talk) 17:24, 29 July 2016 (UTC)
  • Brilliant! I started editing Wikipedia articles thanks to a contest organized within the context of Wikimania 2016 Esino Lario, and that'd be a wonderful occasion to deepen my involvement in the project :) --Ruislip Gardens (talk) 14:09, 3 September 2016 (UTC)
  • Support! It will be my first WikiCon, I am very curious to attend the event. --Afnecors (talk) 09:06, 27 September 2016 (UTC)
  • Placet Gregorovius (talk) 19:43, 8 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Essential! Archeologo (talk) 23:44, 8 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Support. I hope to partecipate. Thanks to promotors! --Adert (talk) 17:30, 10 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Strong support. It would be nice that WMF financially supports the event :-) --Amarvudol (talk) 10:32, 10 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Strong support.--GatoSelvadego (talk) 16:29, 11 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Very good idea. Strong support. -- Marcok (talk) 21:41, 12 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Great idea! I hope to partecipate. --Uomovariabile (talk) 07:35, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Wikimedia Italia is supporting this project, we are setting up a process to grant scholarships to participants. Full scholarships will cover travel expenses and accommodation, partial scholarshiops will cover only accommodation expenses. On behalf of the Wikimedia Italia board. --CristianCantoro (talk) 18:34, 17 October 2016 (UTC)
  • A great opportunity for the Italian community to share and coordinate ideas across the different Projects. I hope I can participate. --Nungalpiriggal (talk) 13:07, 18 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Events like this are essential to strengthen the community, connect people and enable them to learn from each other. The organizing team is experienced and committed, and there is the potential to have a great conference! - Laurentius (talk) 18:00, 20 October 2016 (UTC)
  • Wikimedia Austria supports this event, based on our own positive experiences with the WikiCON for the German-speaking communities. We would love to share our learnings in organizing such events if needed. Furthermore, we consider such an event a great opportunity to foster ties between Austrian and Italian volunteers and to generate new, cross-chapter collaboration (e.g. on topics such as shared history and cultural heritage). CDG (WMAT staff) (talk) 10:45, 28 October 2016 (UTC)
  • A great opportunity for connecting different communities, strengthening the outreach of the various Wikimedia projects to broader and different audiences and establishing new synergies with local partners working in other fields. Jaqen has worked with passion and enthusiasm and on a voluntary basis for making possible the Wiki4MediaFreedom edit-a-thon, a transnational edit-a-thon on media freedom that will take place in Belgrade. On behalf of my organization, Osservatorio Balcani e Caucaso Transeuropa, I fully support this event and I'm looking forward to make our proposals for the WikiCon 2017! Rossella
  • I strongly favour this idea, and I want to take an active part in it! εΔω 18:44, 2 January 2017 (UTC) In short... WMI needs WMF support.
  • It's a good event. I endorse and support it Ferdi2005 (Posta) 13:35, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
  • Support, at the German WikiCon team we supported the Italian attendees with our experiences. —DerHexer (Talk) 17:03, 11 March 2017 (UTC)
  • Strongly support Susanna Giaccai, 10 august 2017
For grantees

If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links: