The Republic of Indonesia is the world's largest archipelago state and consists of 17,508 islands. The population was 225 million people in 2007 and Indonesia is the world's fourth most-populous country. The nation's capital city is Jakarta.
Indonesia on the globe
|Founding date||5 September 2008|
|Approval date||15 November 2011|
|Membership||93 people (incl. founders)|
|Staff||± 15 FTE|
|Official language(s)||Bahasa Indonesia|
|Chair of Board of Executive||Biyanto Rebin|
|Key people||Rachmat Wahidi (Secretary) |
Djohan S. Hasibuan (Treasurer)
|Affiliations||Wikimedia Foundation , ESEAP|
|Phone number||+62 21 3193 4641|
|Mailing Address||Jalan Danau Toba No. 104, Bendungan Hilir, Jakarta Pusat 10210|
In 2000, according to the Indonesian Association of Internet Service Providers, the number of internet users in Indonesia grew by 180 percent. By comparison, usage in Singapore and Malaysia increased by 115 and 90 percent, respectively. The number of internet users in Indonesia was expected to more than triple in 2001 from approximately 1.2 million users to 4 million. In 2007 only 6 percent of Indonesian "logged on" to Wikimedia sites.
The Indonesian language Wikipedia is the Wikimedia Foundation's first project in a language of Indonesia and was started in 2003. Other projects like Wikisource, Wikibooks, Wikiquote, and other Wikipedias in local languages were founded and continue to grow to this day.
Wikimedia Indonesia discussion initiated in 2006 as the need arose to have a formal body ready to establish connections with the media and cooperation with other official entity such as government, businesses, and academies. In 2008 it was agreed that it took form as a not for profit association under the law of Republic of Indonesia, with the members through their General Meetings of Members holding the highest authority.
Wikimedia Indonesia first bylaw drafted and registered to the notary to become The Association's legal establishment on 5 May 2008, signing the document are Wikimedia Indonesia's 19 founders. Wikimedia Foundation's Board of Trustees approval as Wikimedia Chapter was gained on 07 October 2008.
Wikimedia Indonesia's Board of Trustees then drafted and approved bylaw revision on 31 October 2008, however this bylaw never went through a legal administration process. In the end of 2010, Wikimedia Indonesia's legal establishment paper review received a more detailed feedback from Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Rights, and after several meetings and revisions in the notary office, the Wikimedia Indonesia bylaw was finally approved by Indonesian Ministry of Law and Human Right on November 15, 2011.
Non profit entityEdit
Although Wikimedia Indonesia bylaw doesn't say explicitly whether the organization is not for profit, or for profit. The bylaw clearly showed the regulation within the association is a non profit entity because:
- The organization is established for social purpose (article 2)
- The organization activities are to improve understanding, empowers and encourages so that the society is motivated to contribute in the efforts of gathering, development, and propagation of open-sourced knowledge materials. (article 3)
- All the assets of the Association shall be used to achieve the purpose and objective of the Association. - article 5(2)
- In the case of liquidation of the association;
- Article 34(1) Post-liquidation assets shall be submitted to another Association having the same purpose and objectives as those of the dissolved Association.
- Article 34(2) The post-liquidation assets as referred to in paragraph 1 can be submitted to another legal entity performing the same activities as those of the dissolved Association, in case such matter is stipulated in the Law applicable on the said legal entity.
- Article 34 (3) In case the post-liquidation assets are not submitted to another Association or to another legal entity as referred to in paragraph 1 and paragraph 2, such assets shall be submitted to the State and its use shall be in accordance with the purpose and objective of the dissolved Association.
Based on the above regulation by our bylaws, none of the members or board members receive any monetary benefit for having a member/ board status. All benefits go to the public via Wikimedia Indonesia effort.