Grants:APG/Proposals/2018-2019 round 2/Wikimedia Indonesia/Proposal form
Wikimedia Indonesia is willing to cover more than 700 languages and 300 ethnic groups across the island nations of Indonesia to get them available on the internet. Last year, we started implementing five-year strategic planning that has been proposed in 2017 and emphasized community building and support to achieve our goals. In this year, we are going to build and strengthen various communities in language-based projects, invite various organisations to get involved in Wikimedia movements and raise awareness about the importance of free knowledge. We believe by reaching out to various communities, Indonesian local content will be more enriched and our movement can be more inclusive.
These efforts are in line with knowledge equity and to make the knowledge that we provided as a primal service to open the various opportunities to our emerging community. We would like to ensure that the infrastructure and challenges will not limit our efforts to deliver knowledge to our community.
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
Since 2017, Wikimedia Indonesia is dedicated to developing the capacity of the Wikimedia communities in Indonesia and improving the internal organization of Wikimedia Indonesia. We work to run programs that resulted in direct positive impacts on the entire Wikimedia community in Indonesia and the Indonesian population in general.
One of the efforts carried out by Wikimedia Indonesia is to increase community capacity by conducting regular training and meetings. Also, we have made a financial audit that will be submitted to WMF and reported to Wikimedia Indonesia members as an accountability report for financial performance done by Wikimedia Indonesia. This financial audit is expected to increase the financial transparency that has been enforced by Wikimedia Indonesia for many years.
This year, Wikimedia Indonesia is focusing on four main programs: (1) Community Building & Support, (2) Education, (3) GLAM, and (4) Content Enrichment. These programs have been previously running in 2018 under Wikimedia Indonesia APG 2018. Receiving ideas and initiatives from the communities in several meetups and in-person discussion, Wikimedia Indonesia will expand its programs to reach more regions in Indonesia, conducting more intense training and meetups, and create a partnership with more institutions. These strategies aim to not only increase participation in Wikipedia but also to invite any individuals and institutions who have similar missions to get involved in Wikimedia projects.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Perkumpulan Wikimedia Indonesia
- Organization's fiscal year: 01 January–31 December
- 12-month funding period requested: 01 July 2019–30 June 2020
- Currency requested: Indonesian Rupiah
- Name of primary contact: Biyanto Rebin
- 3. Amount requested.
|Currency requested (IDR)||Amount in USD|
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||4,292,505,000||304,768|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||4,292,505,000||304,768|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||3,248,350,000||227,385|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
- Please consult Wikimedia Indonesia strategic plans.
Annual plan summaryEdit
Community Building and SupportEdit
Community Building and Support
Last year, we realized that empowering communities can have a greater impact on the health of the communities. As we gradually understand the key points of building communities, we consider the importance of a program to support the existing communities and to build new communities. Along with support for existing communities, in this period we also plan to reach our support to two more communities, namely the Balinese language and Using language Wikipedia communities.
Events and activities:
- WikiNusantara, a nationwide conference for the Indonesian Wikimedia communities.
- Regular Meetup, a meeting for local communities to discuss future activities and do an evaluation.
- Team Building, a program for local communities to build solidarity among its members (volunteers).
- Grant, a program opened to volunteers to support financially their proposed events or activities.
- Scholarship, a funding for a selected volunteer to attend Wikimania.
Last year, our Education program has successfully made a significant improvement resulted from WikiLatih, Wikipédia Menyang Sekolah, and WikiPelatih. These programs have been seen as an effective means to raise awareness about Wikimedia projects as well as developing the communities in Indonesia. Besides, these programs have contributed to the growth of the contents, participants, and volunteers’ numbers. Therefore, we have decided to continue organizing these programs this year in order to attain an even more remarkable improvement that contributes to the growth of Wikimedia projects.
Events and activities:
- WikiLatih (Wikipedia training), a Wikipedia training program
- WikiMasukSekolah (Wikipedia training), a Wikipedia training program that is integrated with the curricula of the educational institutions, with six regular meetings in one semester
- WikiPelatih (training for trainers), a Wikipedia training for trainers
- WikiKopdar (meetups), a edit-a-thon meetup program that is conducted regularly for the communities
- WikiPanduan (WikiGuidebook), a program that aims to compose a guidebook for the beginners
- Magang (internship), an internship program that aims to seek for new volunteers to help with the organization of the Education program in particular
After working with four GLAM institutions (gallery, library, archives and library institutions) and digitizing more than 18,000 pages of manuscripts, Wikimedia Indonesia has succeeded in opening access to Indonesia's treasuries to the public to be used freely without limitation. Those, which contains historical, cultural, and local wisdom that was previously limited, can now be accessed on Wikimedia Commons. More than 100 editions of the magazine from the Minangkabau Cultural Information and Documentation Center, 100 newspaper issues in Sundanese from the Ajip Rosidi Library, 100 numbers of correspondence catalogues and documents from the Dewantara Kirti Griya Museum, and 100 editions of Kajawen Magazine is in the process of uploading to Wikimedia Commons.
In 2019, Wikimedia Indonesia aims to reach a wider area, opening opportunities for GLAM local institutions in the region to work together to digitize and put their collections on Wikimedia Commons which brings advantages to local institutions to open their collections on the internet and index on the web search machine. This can directly provide opportunities for researchers in or outside the region who are looking for material and research objects with ease.
- Conducting trainings and contest on Indonesian Wikisource
- Collaborating with GLAM institutions in Indonesia to open their collections in Commons
The content enrichment programs which we have conducted during the last term of APG have brought satisfying results in terms of the number of contents that have been improved across Wikimedia projects (Wikimedia Commons, Indonesian Wikipedia, Wikidata). In this term, we decided to continue the photo competitions by conducting two photo competitions (Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Culture) and supporting the development of Javanese OCR software. We will also continue Wikidata content enrichment program, but in this term, we shifted our focus into building the community by holding workshops in several places and raising the awareness of the importance of open data through Wikidata.
For new activity this year, we decided to make special community meet-ups where we decided to scrape and categorize Indonesian related resources that are already in public domain, and/or is distributed by open license and putting it in Wikimedia Commons. This project will also serve as the backbone to our future project, that is to provide the offline knowledge resources to schools in the remote area by using Kiwix.
For the writing competition, we got other fundings to organize it. So, we decided to discontinue the writing competition from APG programs.
Events and activities:
- Wiki Loves Earth, enriching Indonesian natural landscape in Wikimedia Commons
- Wiki Loves Culture, enriching Indonesian culture in Wikimedia Commons
- Wikidata training
- Coding da Vinci, a cultural data hackathon, collaboration event with Goethe-Institut Indonesien
- Kiwix+OER, a preliminary studies for Kiwix+OER project
This section provides metrics that will be used to measure each program's achievements conducted by Wikimedia Indonesia under this grant
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- Active collaborations: the number of organisation or partners including individual which engage and actively collaborate during the program. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Volunteer hours: Total of hours the volunteers who spend their time to attend or participate in the events, program, or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
|Program||Shared metrics||Grantee-defined metrics|
|Participants||Newly registered||Content pages||Active collaborations||Volunteer hours|
|Community Building and Support||495||20||1,620||6||11,930|
This section provides budget proposed by Wikimedia Indonesia to run the programs
|Line items||Total IDR||Total USD|
|Office and administrative support||705,000,000||50,055|
|Community Building and Support||796,600,000||56,559|
|Total||IDR 4,292,505,000||USD 304,768|
We have also included a table to show the split of salary expenses per program and operations in percentages:
|Office and administrative support||16%|
|Community Building and Support||19%|
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
Please sign here once this proposal form is complete, using four tildes. Biyanto Rebin (WMID) (talk) 13:39, 31 March 2019 (UTC)