|The undersigned Wikimedia affiliates,
- Recognising the urgency of the climate crisis caused by anthropogenic global warming,
- Affirming that the Wikimedia Movement shares the global responsibility to limit climate change through drastic measures to reduce carbon emissions,
- Seeking to align the Wikimedia Movement with the goals of the 2016 Paris Agreement,
- Recognising that, in the spirit of the principle of climate justice, the more privileged must help carry the burden otherwise disproportionately borne by those less privileged and those experiencing the harshest effects of climate change (Most Affected People and Areas),
- Implementing the movement strategy recommendation “Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement”, specifically the prioritised initiative no. 8, which calls on the entire Wikimedia Movement to “align our practices to support the environmental sustainability of our planet”,
- In the spirit of the movement strategy recommendation “Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt”,
- Following the example set by the board of trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation in its 2017 resolution to reduce its environmental impact,
- Recognising the broad community support for climate action evidenced by the Wikimedia Sustainability Initiative,
- Considering that the carbon footprint of the Wikimedia Movement is predominantly caused by flights taken by WMF and affiliate staff, representatives, and community members,
- Considering the role of the Wikimedia Movement allowing it to set an example for the ecosystem of free knowledge and the greater non-profit sector,
Agree as follows:
- Affiliates commit to reducing their carbon footprint through a variety of measures, including but not limited to:
- drastically limiting the number of kerosene-based flights taken by affiliate staff and representatives and community members, through measures such as
- caps for flights taken on behalf of the affiliate,
- increased technical and organisational support for remote events,
- travel policies that discourage flights over other means of transport and that encourage the use of public transportation, and/or
- travel policies that require compensation for the environmental cost of air travel,
- switching to renewable energy for their electricity consumption, where possible,
- divesting their financial investments from carbon-intensive industries,
- when engaging in carbon offset programmes, supporting only the planting of native trees in uninhabited areas and not using offsets as an ‘excuse’ for their carbon emissions,
- implementing other practices listed below.
- Affiliates related to Most Affected People and Areas shall only have limited responsibilities in this regard, and shall receive support from other affiliates to meet them.
- Affiliates call on other Wikimedia Movement entities, including and especially the Wikimedia Foundation, to follow their example, specifically concerning the sustainable operation of the Wikimedia Foundation’s data centres.
- Affiliates commit to supporting initiatives aimed at improving the coverage of the climate crisis on Wikimedia projects.
- Affiliates commit to regularly (at least yearly) sharing their experiences adhering to this covenant to inspire each other and others inside and outside of the Wikimedia Movement.