This group is currently not recognized by the Affiliations Committee. This may be because they are in the process of applying for official status, they may not have been approved, or they may be operating outside the Wikimedia Affiliations system. To find the list of active Wikimedia affiliates, please visit the formal list of Wikimedia Movement Affiliates.
Community News: Watch our Hatch-A-Wiki presentation for Wikimania 2022!
ウィキメディア支援者グループ・フィリピン（Wiki Advocates Philippines）とは、フィリピン人ボランティアのウィキメディアンのコミュニティで、ウィキメディアのさまざまなプロジェクトを通じてフリーな知識を提唱しています。主にこれらのプロジェクト群の利用を促進し、これに限定されません。プロジェクト開発を通じてコミュニティに力を与え、グローバルな人権擁護を支援し、フリーな知識のエコシステムを促進するキャンペーンを主催します。
This user group plans to conduct the following activities to achieve its objectives:
- Develop the Central Bikol Wiktionary through series of edit-a-thons and language preservation activities such as studying orthography, adding vocabularies, and recording pronunciations through the Lingua Libre and Spell4Wiki application.
- Develop the Central Bikol Wikiquote and Tagalog Wikiquote which are both in incubator status, through involvement in campaigns such as SheSaid and Art and Feminism, and programs such as Hatch-A-Wiki.
Meet-ups. The group will be organizing meet-ups for its members in order to exchange ideas and to find ways to support them to continue editing the projects in areas where they would need help.
Translate-a-thons. The group will be helping new Wikimedians learn editing techniques, and translate and improve the content in Wikimedia projects using the content translation tool.
Trainings. The group will be conducting online and offline training on how to effectively contribute to the different Wikimedia Projects and how to participate in the different global campaigns.
Resource Sharing. The group will develop open-access materials related to accessing the different Wiki projects and develop an offline Wikipedia suitable for the Philippine communities and share it among the remote communities here in the country.
Community Office Hours. The group will be conducting online tutorials, talks, Q&A sessions, and Wikiprojects on-boarding for newbies experienced Wikimedians or anyone who is up for open knowledge and Wikimedia-based projects.
Plan of Events
The community members of the Wiki Advocates Philippines have looked forward to the Open Access Learning Portal installation in places in the Philippines with low to no data connections. After a year of preparation, the group was able to initially launch the project on one of the public schools situated on Catanduanes Island. Four hours of land travel from Pasacao, Camarines Sur to Tabaco City port, and another three hours of sea travel boarding the Calixta VI ferry to reach the San Andres, Catanduanes port, and finally the group was able to get to the island. A Kiwix device was donated to Bislig Elementary School, composed of ten school teachers and a population of 200-plus students. Eleven volunteers have conducted teachers' training on Wikimedia projects and Offline Wikipedia along with the donation of the device. The teachers, even with the absence of data connection, were able to try the editing experience through the Wikifundi software which was installed on the device. There was also a brief discussion on how Art and Feminism initiatives bridge the gender gap in Wiki projects. The possibility of creating the Catangduanon Wiktionary project was also considered to be part of future initiatives and collaboration.
In celebration of Earth Day, the team has come up with a hybrid workshop and information awareness on environmental awareness, feminism, and concluding the event with a fun coffee painting session. A total of 21 female participants have attended the event, and 12 members of Wiki Advocates Philippines were also present.
As part of the Art and Feminism campaign in the Philippines this year, the Wiki Advocates PH conducted a Coffee Painting Workshop on March 25, 2022 led by visual artist/editor Bianca Brazal. Participants are all active contributors in wiki projects, Wikiquote, Wikimedia Incubator, Wiktionary, to name a few. Artworks will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons for free use as part of the open knowledge advocacy of the group.
The team's capacity building took place last April 1-2, 2022. Sessions include discussion on Wiki projects, involvement of females in the volunteer works, the possibility of offline edit-a-thon through the Wikifundi, and other future plans of the group. This was attended by 13 participants, some of them have already been part of the first Art and Feminism campaign in the Philippines, and two artists who were commissioned to do the last year's portraits of feminists and artists were also present.
- Central Bikol Wikitionary Edit-a-thon and Language Preservation through Lingua Libre and Spell4Wiki: The project was a series of edit-a-thons in Central Bikol Wiktionary with a focus on incorporating audio recording reproduced on both Lingua Libre and Spell4Wiki application.
- Hatch-A-Wiki Project:The lack of active editors and test wiki activity are what hinders these projects to be fully developed. The aim of the Hatch A WikiProject is to develop and maintain an active project, complete and proofread the MediaWiki interface translations, and complete the specific settings for the test project. At the moment, the team is working on Central Bikol Wikiquote (Wikisambit), Tagalog Wikiquote (Wikikawikaan), and for the next few months, Tagalog Wikivoyage (Wikibyahe) and Tagalog Wikisource.
- #SheSaid Philippines 2021: This project aims to conduct a series of edit-a-thons both online and offline. Focus will be on improving contents about Filipino women on Wikiquote, Wikisambit and Wikikawikaan.
- Proyektong AfroCine 2021
- Zine: Small Press and Art Expo (Human Rights Day Solidarity Fair)
- Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos: This is in participation in the international campaign of Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos 2021. Our local Wikipedia projects will benefit from these edits through uploading appropriate photos for existing articles. The main objective of this project is for our local Wikipedia Projects to be involved in this international campaign. Articles will certainly be improved since it will be provided with the right photos supporting the article itself. The accumulated photos that are all available on Wikimedia Commons will find their place in articles located in Wikipedia. A stub article is common in our local Wikipedia, then adding a photo for it is another step of improving those stub articles.
- Art & Feminism: This project is focused on continuing the objectives of the previous year's Art & Feminism in the Philippines by adding and improving contents in Wikipedia, Wiki Commons, and other Wiki projects with regards the Art and Feminism, not only limited in the Philippines but throughout the world.
- #WikiForHumanRights:This series of edit-a-thons will be part of the #WikiForHumanRights 2021. This is to increase content with regards to human rights, environmental health, and diverse communities impacted by environmental issues around the world and provide awareness through a simple lecture on how to protect and maintain healthy ecosystems. One of the project goals is to invite new editors with the same advocacy on preserving a healthy environment and prospect editors coming from different civic organizations for human rights.
- Philippines Climate Change Translate-a-thon:This is a series of in-person events that focuses on translating articles on climate change events especially in the Philippines using the content translation tool of the Central Bikol Wikipedia. This project will give more focus on the typhoons that heavily impacted the country's history and economic development. This will both help promote awareness of the climate history of the country as a guide for disaster preparedness and will also provide a good avenue of recruiting new editors and promoting Wikipedia to college and senior high school students.
- Bikol Wiktionary Edit-a-thon:This project focuses on adding new entries in the Bikol Wiktionary, improving the previous content, and inviting editors to do vocabulary contributions. This project aims to recruit new editors, will encourage mostly local Bikolano writers since they have advanced skills in language usage, increase skills for existing editors and fix word orthography, and add new word meaning based on reliable Bikol language references. View more programs
More About Wiki Advocates Philippines
Social Media Channels
- Art + Feminism Philippines
- EduWiki Community PH
- Wíki para sa Karapatan Pantáwo
- Bikol Wiksyunaryo
- ウィキ支援者PH Twitter アカウント
- Email: wikiadvocatesphgmail.com
- Imelda R. Brazal - email
- Anthony B. Diaz - email
- Daphne Paleria Boncodin - email