Talk:Commons Photographers User Group

Latest comment: 1 day ago by MediaWiki message delivery in topic Affiliations Committee News (April-June 2024)

representation

edit

This initiative sounds like a good idea and I assume there will be a debate before anyone says they 'represent' us. Charlesjsharp (talk) 12:51, 20 March 2017 (UTC)Reply

Good point, Charlesjsharp. This group can only represent those photographers that are part of the group, not every photographer on Commons. If you have a good idea on how to clarify that, please go ahead and change the page. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 17:27, 20 March 2017 (UTC)Reply
Done. I know it's early days, but perhaps the group could have a role in improving the Commons FP QI and VI projects. And could I suggest you ping everyone on the 'Meet our photographers' page. Charlesjsharp (talk) 17:55, 20 March 2017 (UTC)Reply

Service request - upload by post

edit

Congratulations on this group for establishing itself!

I am not sure what the scope of this group will be other than to encourage more engagement in photography on Wikipedia. I have a request which may or may not be relevant, but so far as I know, this group seems like the best group which exists to manage an issue like this.

I have heard repeatedly over the years that photographers in countries with limited access to Internet have difficulty uploading their photos. Lots of people in the world have access to cameras which take good pictures with large file sizes. However, the number of people who are able to upload their photo collections is fewer, with the barrier being lack of Internet connectivity and prohibitive financial cost to sharing full resolution photo files.

No one can do much about lack of Internet access, but I wonder if it would be possible to organize any kind of peer to peer photo uploading service. Perhaps a photographer could sort photos on their own computer, naming them appropriately for wiki upload, then providing the photos on a jump drive or DVD to their regional Wikimedia chapter or user group. The chapter could mail the physical media to someone in a country with faster Internet, and there, the photos could be uploaded.

I know that more and more people are getting Internet access, and hopefully someday upload speed will not be an issue, but in many of the places where we want more participation I have heard people say that the major reason why they do not share photos is lack of ability to upload. I think before anyone took next steps there should be more asking around about whether this is really a significant enough issue to merit a response, but if this is an issue, then maybe this user group could have some compassion for those experiencing this as a challenge either as part of its own scope or in support of any other group which could do upload assistance for photographers in places with limited accessibility. Thanks. Blue Rasberry (talk) 20:30, 2 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

Commons page

edit

Where is it intended that group discussions will happen? Is there a Commons page? --MichaelMaggs (talk) 17:08, 4 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

I'd assume here, but I'm not opposed to a designated page at Commons. -Another Believer (talk) 18:03, 4 May 2017 (UTC)Reply
I think at this point most of the group discussions happen on Facebook. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 15:08, 24 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

Reporting

edit

Just an idea: We might want to create an ongoing page for reporting 2017 activities, such as Commons Photographers User Group/2017. This will make reporting easier, instead of scrambling at the last minute when a report is due. -Another Believer (talk) 21:51, 4 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

Please feel free to create such a page. So far, I've used the "Reports" section. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 15:08, 24 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

Wikimania

edit

Hi, will there be group activities or other group related topics at this year's wikimania? Who is going to attend? --Ailura (talk) 09:29, 24 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

I'll attend and I'll be interested in going on a photo tour. Do you already know your arrival / departure dates? I haven't booked my flight yet, so I'm still somewhat flexible. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 15:03, 24 May 2017 (UTC)Reply
Pinging Diego and Achim who said earlier they'll attend. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 15:54, 24 May 2017 (UTC) Reply
I would have liked to go with you, unfortunately I did not get a scholarship. Please take pictures of the city, there is a beautiful cathedral, you could schedule a visit so that no one interrupts your view. Additionally, there are very close natural reserves that you could visit like Parc national du mont tremblant. A hug --The Photographer (talk) 16:16, 24 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

I attend, but as long the schedule is not published, I don't know when I will have time and when I will definetly will have no time. Marcus Cyron (talk) 19:59, 24 May 2017 (UTC)Reply

Ist dein Flug denn schon gebucht? Ich frage nur, weil ich immer noch vor der Wahl stehe, entweder ein paar Tage früher anzureisen oder aber ein paar Tage dranzuhängen. --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 20:27, 24 May 2017 (UTC) P.S. I generally think we should allow people here to post in their native languages, as Google Translate is good enough to get the general sense of a message and I don't like us to exclude people who might not be as comfortable in English as others.Reply

Possible dates for a meeting / activity

edit

Monday, August 7th

edit
  • <Your name>

Tuesday, August 8th

edit
  • <Your name>

Wednesday, August 9th

edit
  • <Your name>

Monday, August 14th

edit
  • <Your name>

Tuesday, August 15th

edit
  • <Your name>

Ideas for what to do

edit

wikimedia commons conference ?

edit

A lot of conference was organized by the wikimedia community, like wikidatacon, Wikiarabia, wikiindba , Wikisource Conference and a lot of others conferneces, can we organize a conference about wikimedia commons ? --Touzrimounir (talk) 15:10, 29 June 2017 (UTC)Reply

Interested users are invited to show their support and share their thoughts on Commons Conference 2018. --MB-one (talk) 09:20, 6 September 2017 (UTC)Reply

WikiCon 2017

edit

Just a Note: On the WikiCon 2017 I gave a very short introduction into our user group in the session Podiumsdiskussion: Ist Commons noch zu retten? (Is Commons still to be saved?). Raymond (talk) 08:15, 10 September 2017 (UTC)Reply

Unfortunately I could not listen to your talk on WikiCon but I had proposed something similar for Wikimania 2017 (but a bit more from the technical viewpoint). Sadly my talk was not accepted for the programe there. -- Freddy2001 talk 17:02, 10 September 2017 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia Conference 2018

edit

Will this user group be represented at Wikimedia Conference 2018? Registration ends in a couple weeks. -Another Believer (talk) 05:53, 27 December 2017 (UTC)Reply

I think so but who will represent the user group, and how we will select them Mounir Touzri (talk) 12:37, 27 December 2017 (UTC)Reply
We could ask people to put their names up as candidates and then vote. How does that sound? --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 17:49, 28 December 2017 (UTC)Reply
@Frank Schulenburg: it sound good ,every candidates include an abstract about his activities and how he will represent the user group Mounir Touzri (talk) 18:04, 28 December 2017 (UTC)Reply
Sounds good. I suggest working quickly, though, and share this link for additional information: Wikimedia Conference 2018/Registration Information. -Another Believer (talk) 20:19, 28 December 2017 (UTC)Reply
In any event, I will be there for Cascadia Wikimedians. Since I don't have any "agenda" on their behalf except to learn, feel free to contact me if there are specific Commons Photographers' concerns that need to be represented. (This is, however, the first one I'm attending, so I might not be the best person to come in with any "agenda".) But, yes, I think Commons Photographers should have one or two people there. - Jmabel (talk) 23:48, 28 December 2017 (UTC)Reply
We should definitely be there. --Ailura (talk) 07:13, 29 December 2017 (UTC)Reply

*bump* -Another Believer (talk) 20:12, 8 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

  • @Touzrimounir, Frank Schulenburg, Ailura, and Jmabel: You have 5 days! This is a new user group and no one expects you to be super organized. Touzrimounir and Ailura - would either of you be willing to go? Anyone else - nominations? If you want to go, please in 2-3 short sentences state your commitment to report some aspect of the the event back to this user group and how you will discuss with other representatives how to better collaborate to engage in Commons. Blue Rasberry (talk) 15:03, 9 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
hi

yes of course, I am very interested to attend, as part of the conference I will organize a meeting of photographers, and we will discuss with them some possible activities of the users group, also we we will discuss the organization of wikimedia commons conference, after the event, I will create a report of my participation and all possible activities. Mounir Touzri (talk) 16:12, 9 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

@Touzrimounir: have you filled out the forms at Wikimedia Conference 2018/Registration Information? - Jmabel (talk) 16:42, 9 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
@Jmabel: Wait please! The user group selects a delegate, who then registers. Jmabel, as a member of the Commons Photographers User Group, do you support Mounir as representative? Will anyone else support? Are there any alternative nominations to consider?
I think that Mounir seems like a fair candidate and right now, this is the only user who has expressed interest. He seems like a fine choice. Thoughts from others? This does need to be settled in probably 2 days at the most. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:56, 9 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
I have no objection to Mounir, who has expressed interest. But, in any case, the forms are pretty lengthy, and I'd suggest not waiting till the last minute to start filling them out, even if you might not end up submitting them. - Jmabel (talk) 01:10, 10 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
@Jmabel: No, I am still waiting the confirmation from all membersMounir Touzri (talk) 16:59, 9 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

I have to work on friday so it's better if Mounir goes. --Ailura (talk) 19:26, 11 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

Who will be the second representative of the group Olfa Yakoubi (talk) 18:39, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
@Another Believer: are you interested to attend? Mounir Touzri (talk) 18:44, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
I am, in general, but I'm not sure I'm the best person to represent the Commons community. I contribute to Commons often, but I'm not well-versed on community needs, back-end operations, etc. Surely there is a community member who could do a better job representing the user group than me. -Another Believer (talk) 18:47, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
what about you @Jmabel: @Blue Rasberry: @Ralf Roletschek: Mounir Touzri (talk) 18:54, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
Today is the last day? Then I'm going. What i have to do? --Ralf Roletschek (talk) 19:12, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
Please use the following link to register for the Wikimedia Conference 2018. Mounir Touzri (talk) 19:15, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
  Done @Touzrimounir: my Mail is ralf@roletschek.de --Ralf Roletschek (talk) 21:29, 15 January 2018 (UTC)Reply
Again, I'm representing Cascadia Wikimedians there, but if there are specific Commons concerns that need to be addressed, I don't think that creates any conflict for me, feel free to get hold of me if there are things people feel need to be raised. - Jmabel (talk) 01:49, 16 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

Inviting you to participate in the women editing contest "The women you have never met"

edit

Dear Commons Photographers User Group!

Hope this message finds you all well :) On behalf of Iberocoop network I want to invite you to be part of the women editing contest we are organizing along with many other chapters and user groups in the movement. You are doing an excellent work on your local context and we will be so pleased to have you on board. In this very early stage, we are asking the organizations to add their interest in the following meta page Hope to see you there soon! Hugs----Anna Torres (WMAR) --Anna Torres (WMAR) (talk) 15:31, 25 January 2018 (UTC)Reply

Iceland Conference 2018

edit

Perhaps someone was going to post something about Commons Photographers User Group/Iceland Conference 2018, but in the meantime, I invite page watchers to go take a look. Thanks! -Another Believer (talk) 01:06, 15 February 2018 (UTC)Reply

Hello Frank Schulenburg, Martin Falbisoner, Code, Bluerasberry, Ralf Roletschek

Hello. I just received an invitation to contribute to the survey about the proposed Iceland Conference 2018. I didn’t know that the Commons Photographers User Group was planning this, but I fully support the idea and have submitted a response to the survey. When the CPUG was set up I did ask to be involved (see above), but I see that the debate about who might attend Wikimania 2018 has not been widely circulated. Although I didn't know about the debate, I have independently applied for a scholarship for the Cape Town Conference myself. Best wishes Charlesjsharp (talk) 12:12, 15 February 2018 (UTC)Reply

Report of the user group during 2018

edit

Dear all

I created a draft of the report of the user group for this year, if you have any ideas or projects it can be added please don't be shy to add it, Mounir Touzri (talk) 10:23, 19 April 2018 (UTC)Reply

Tunisia Conference 2019

edit

Dear ALL

Me and @Hamed Gamaoun:, we discussed to organize The Commons Conference 2019 in Tunisia and we are ready to plan the conference and apply for a grant with the collaboration of Photography Organization as a fiscal sponsor, if there's no objections from the community, We would like to discuss this proposal before August 15th. Mounir Touzri (talk) 14:00, 30 June 2018 (UTC)Reply

Notification of User Group Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting

edit

Greetings,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia User Groups are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta, and linked on the meta Reports page. This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2016-2017 annual reporting became past due in May. Please be sure to

  1. Post your 2016-2017 annual reporting to the meta Reports page as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  2. Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  3. Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Best regards, DNdubane (WMF) (talk) 18:57, 23 August 2018 (UTC)Reply

DNdubane (WMF) Why WMF complicates everything ?, perhaps uploading and organizing free multimedia content is not enough? why wmf collapse us of a series of mechanisms and bureaucratic processes without any real value or impact in the community ?, we just want to meet and share experiences, take photos together, this reinforces the spirit of the community and not ridiculous bureaucratic procedures as if be the employees of a company. You are killing the community, creating stupid events with caricatures characters, users who do nothing for the community more than participate in these events with ghost communities, instead, we who have shown an arduous job uploading free content, fill us with all these meaningless activities as a requirement to maintain our group. --The Photographer (talk) 01:32, 17 October 2018 (UTC)Reply
@The Photographer:. I acknowledge your concern about the bureaucratic nature of Reporting, and would like to assure you that we are working to make reporting less cumbersome into the future. However, reporting is an integral part of being a user group as it helps your group to share with the wider community on your successes or challenges you may have gone through in the past year. One of the requirements for maintaining affiliation status is detailed in the User Group agreement & Code of conduct as follows:
  • You must behave transparently, including maintaining a Wikimedia project wiki page describing your group and its activities, and providing an annual update of your activities to the Wikimedia community and the Wikimedia Foundation. You should post this report as an update on Meta-Wiki.
Furthermore, User Groups are meant to be simple and thus have fewer requirements compared to other affiliate models. That being said, we are interested in understanding any difficulties in reporting that Affiliates face and any ideas to make the process easier.
Kindest regards
DNdubane (WMF) (talk) 07:07, 17 October 2018 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia Summit 2019

edit

Dear allI very interested to represent Commons Photographers User Group in Wikimedia Summit 2019, I will organize a meeting of commons photographers, and we will discuss with them some possible activities of the user group, also we will discuss about Commons Conference 2020 that I am one of the organizers.

I contribute to commons often, I realised and organized a lot of workshops about quality images and Wiki Loves X contests and as a founder of the Photography Club, I find myself promoting and encouraging members of the club to contribute to Wikimedia commons. Hamed Gamaoun (talk) 22:36, 26 November 2018 (UTC)Reply

ASBS 2019

edit

Hi everyone, as this group opted out of receiving mass messages on this page, I wanted to make sure you are following at least the central affiliates noticeboard, so you don't really miss out on updates like this one. This process is big on inclusivity and I didn't want to assume anything :) Have a nice day, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 10:27, 13 March 2019 (UTC)Reply

Manual FYI for Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Noticeboard#Update_on_the_Affiliate-selected_Board_seats_2019_process. Best, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 16:13, 6 April 2019 (UTC)Reply

Upcoming 2019 Affiliate-selected trustee position on the Board of Wikimedia Foundation

edit

Greetings Fellow Commons Photographers,

My name is Gerald Shields, also known as user:Geraldshields11. I am asking for your top rank vote for me in the election for one of two open trustee positions on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.

I am asking for your vote to help support emerging communities and promote an inclusive education environment on all wiki projects. Also, I plan to promote various other issues as I mention in my statement and answers to various questions. I ask that you show your support for the issues that need to be address by voting for me as one of your preferences.

My candidacy information page is Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Nominations/Gerald Shields on Meta or can be found at Gerald Shields candidate. I have, as of the 7 May 2019 list of questions, answered all “Questions for all candidates - Questions for this individual candidate that do not apply to other candidates”. My answers give more details on why your affiliate should vote for me.

Thank you for your time, discussion, and consideration of my candidacy. I appreciate it.

My best regards,

Gerald Shields

Geraldshields11 (talk) 01:55, 8 May 2019 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia Summit 2020

edit

I would nominate myself to be a representative of the Commons Photographers User Group in Wikimedia Summit 2020, since this year's topic is focusing on the implementation of the recommendations in the conversations during the last year in Wikimedia Summit which I was there representing the User Group. Hamed Gamaoun (talk) 20:59, 17 December 2019 (UTC) @Frank Schulenburg: @Martin Falbisoner:Reply

June 21 All-Affiliates Brand Meeting

edit

All Wikimedia affiliates are invited to join an urgent All-Affiliates Brand Meeting in two sessions on Sunday June 21, regarding the most recent developments.-- Pharos (talk) 19:58, 19 June 2020 (UTC)Reply

Notification of User Group Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting

edit

Greetings @Frank Schulenburg: & @Code:,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia User Groups are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2019-20 annual reporting became past due in April. Please be sure to :

  1. Post your 2019-20 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  2. Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  3. Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.


Best regards,

MKaur (WMF) (talk) 20:57, 22 July 2020 (UTC)Reply

Sunday August 23: Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Strategic flock of Wikimedians heading in a new direction.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a proposed forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

The idea is to follow up on the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting and other strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 21:39, 20 August 2020 (UTC)Reply

Sunday September 20 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Birds of a feather flock together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August SWAN meeting and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday September 20, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 01:21, 18 September 2020 (UTC)Reply

Sunday October 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Friendship is a movement value.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the September and August SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday October 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.--Pharos (talk) 17:15, 20 October 2020 (UTC)Reply

Sunday November 29 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Take flight with us.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, and October SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including the recent proposed changes to the Wikimedia Foundation Bylaws, this month we are meeting on Sunday November 29, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although a number of places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 18:46, 24 November 2020 (UTC)Reply

Sunday January 10 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Into the blue.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, and November SWAN meetings, and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including SWAN input on Interim Global Council and Movement Charter, this month we are meeting on Sunday January 10, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To start the exchange of ideas on the IGC early, and to help prepare before the SWAN calls, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this etherpad. If you like a more interactive way of discussing, we have also made a jamboard. Check here for more details.

--Pharos (talk) 18:37, 1 January 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

--Pharos (talk) 18:48, 15 February 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch and Community Board seats, this month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 04:11, 17 March 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday April 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Swanlings grow up together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, and March SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, WMF Resolution about the upcoming Board elections, Community Resilience and Sustainability role in Movement Strategy coordination, Grants Strategy Relaunch, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday April 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although some places may have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 18:46, 21 April 2021 (UTC)Reply

Join the new Regional Committees for Grants

edit

Dear all,

We hope this email finds you well and safe. The COVID 19 situation continues to affect many of us across the globe and our thoughts are with everyone affected. We are also aware that there are several processes currently in progress that demand volunteer time and we do not want to add more work to anyone's plate.

We do want to draw your attention to our new Regional Committees for Grants though as they are an opportunity for you to have an active say in the future of our Movement!

📣 So today, we invite you to join our new Regional Committees for Grants! 📣

We encourage Wikimedians and Free Knowledge advocates to be part of the new Regional Committees that the WMF Community Resources team is setting up as part of the grants strategy relaunch [1]. You will be a key strategic thought partner to help understand the complexities of any region, provide knowledge and expertise to applicants, to support successful movement activities, and make funding decisions for grant applications in the region.

👉Find out more on meta [2].

Regional Committees will be established for the following regions:

  • Middle East and Africa
  • SAARC [3] region (Includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka)
  • East, Southeast Asia, and Pacific (ESEAP) region
  • Latin America (LATAM) and The Caribbean
  • United States and Canada
  • Northern and Western Europe
  • Central and Eastern Europe (CEE)

👉All details about the Committees and how to apply can be found on meta [4]. Applications have to be submitted by June 4, 2021!

If you have any questions or comments, please use the meta discussion page [5].

Please do share this announcement widely with your Network.

Best wishes,

JBrungs (WMF) (talk) 07:38, 21 May 2021 (UTC) on behalf of the Community Resources Team JBrungs (WMF) (talk) 07:38, 21 May 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday June 6 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Swan of healing.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, and April SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Movement Strategy/Events, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday June 6, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call an hour earlier in UTC time due to popular demand and to accomodate daylight savings*.)--Pharos (talk) 20:14, 3 June 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday July 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
The swan or the egg?

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, April, and June SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Drafting Committee, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday July 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call an hour earlier in UTC time due to popular demand and to accomodate daylight savings*.)--Pharos (talk) 14:46, 22 July 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday September 26 SWANniversary Party and All-Affiliates Strategic Meeting

edit
 
Celebrate our first anniversary with SWAN-shaped desserts!

Join the SWANniversary on September 26 as we mark the first year of the Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network!

We will have the regular All-Affiliates Strategic Meeting, to be followed by a SWANniversary Party in the after hours session, likely through spatialized chat on WorkAdventure.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, April, June, and July SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, we'll look together at strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Drafting Committee, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday September 26, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and .)--Pharos (talk) 20:08, 21 September 2021 (UTC)Reply

Movement Charter Drafting Committee Thematic Affiliates selection

edit

Greetings! You are listed as a Thematic Affiliate for the Selection Process of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. We need to make a decision about our selector by October 10; I started this page (Movement Charter/Affiliates by Region/Thematic Affiliates) to collect ideas for how we'll pick our selector and self-nominations for who our selector could be. Please add to it! --LiAnna (Wiki Ed) (talk) 20:07, 28 September 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday October 31 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
A swan reflects.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, April, and June, July, and September SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter Drafting Committee Set Up Process, Next Steps for Brand Work, 2021, Wikipedia Asian Month 2021, and other ongoing activities.

This month we are meeting on Sunday October 31, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call a half-hour later in UTC time due to WikidataCon*.)--Pharos (talk) 01:56, 29 October 2021 (UTC)Reply

Sunday November 28 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting

edit
 
Chart a new course on the swan ferry.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

We'll focus on strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Hubs+Hubs Workshop, Movement Charter+Drafting Committee, WMDE's 'Future of Wikimedia Governance' proposal, Wikipedia Asian Month 2021, and other ongoing activities.

This month we are meeting on Sunday November 28, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and , note that some areas recently experienced daylight savings time changes).--Pharos (talk) 20:17, 24 November 2021 (UTC)Reply

2022 Wikimedia Hackathon - May 20th - 22nd

edit
 

Hello all,

This is to invite you for this year's Wikimedia Hackathon from May 20-22. We hope to see you there! You can share the update with your community as well.

The main event will be held online this year. We have an open call for sessions on our schedule page. If you'd like to host a session, you can simply pick an open slot in the category which best fits your topic. The developer advocacy team also put together some suggestions for how to create a fun session.


You can also add project ideas to the Phabricator Board

We will share more information soon about how to join the online space. You can also check through the list of local meetups holding around the world, you may find any closer to you.

If you have any enquiry or translation requests, please contact hlepp@wikimedia.org


See you there!

Best regards,

James Popoola

On behalf of the 2022 Wikimedia Hackathon Committee.

James Moore200 (talk) 16:35, 5 May 2022 (UTC)Reply

(Initial Review) Notification of Affiliate Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting

edit

Greetings group contacts,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia Affiliates are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2022 annual reporting became past due in 2022-04-26. Please be sure to:

  • Post your 2022 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  • Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  • Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to wadportal wikimedia.org.

Best regards,
Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal

Dear Frank Schulenburg I hope you are doing well, I think we need to submit the report of the user group as soon as possible Mounir Touzri (talk) 09:05, 8 June 2022 (UTC)Reply
Mounir, just submitted it. Thanks, --Frank Schulenburg (talk) 15:09, 8 June 2022 (UTC)Reply

Notification of upcoming reporting due date

edit

Greetings group contacts,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization reporting date is coming up in 29 day(s). Wikimedia Affiliates are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2023 annual reporting will be due in 2023-05-26. Please be sure to:

  • Post your 2023 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  • Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  • Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to wadportal wikimedia.org.

Best regards,

Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal

--User:DNdubane_(WMF) 08:42, 27 April 2023 (UTC)Reply

(Initial Review) Notification of Affiliate Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting

edit

Greetings group contacts,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia Affiliates are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2023 annual reporting became past due in 2023-05-26. Please be sure to:

  • Post your 2023 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  • Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  • Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to wadportal wikimedia.org.

Best regards,

Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal

--User:DNdubane_(WMF) 10:48, 29 May 2023 (UTC)Reply

I uploaded the report. Ailura (talk) 11:55, 30 May 2023 (UTC)Reply

WikiWomen Camp 2023 Scholarship Application

edit

Hello all,

We are thrilled to announce the opening of the scholarship applications for Wiki Women Camp 2023 which will run from 20-23 October in New Delhi, India. The scholarship application deadline is July 4th, end of the day (anywhere in the world), and applicants will receive notification of decisions in mid-July.

Please submit your application directly through the provided forms available here.

If you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at admin@wikiwomencamp.org.


Cheers,
Maffeth.opiana (talk) 12:28, 23 June 2023 (UTC)Reply
On behalf of the WikiWomen Camp 2023 Team

(First Reminder) Notification of Affiliate Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting

edit

Greetings Ailura, Suyash.dwivedi,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia Affiliates are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2023 annual reporting became past due in 2023-05-26. Please be sure to:

  • Post your 2023 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  • Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  • Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to wadportal wikimedia.org.

Best regards,

Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal

--User:DNdubane_(WMF) 22:12, 26 June 2023 (UTC)Reply

Call for Highlight Videos for WikiWomenCamp 2023

edit

Dear Community Members,

As we gear up for the upcoming WikiWomenCamp in India, we are excited to announce a unique opportunity to share your incredible work and its impact with the global community.

What We're Looking For: We invite you to submit short (3-5 minute) videos highlighting your projects, initiatives, or efforts that have made a significant difference in addressing gender gaps. We know that many of you are doing remarkable work in various corners of the world, and we want to shine a spotlight on your achievements.

Why Short Videos: Our camp sessions are extensive, covering a wide range of topics and discussions. In the interest of time and with a commitment to showcasing the amazing initiatives across our movement, we believe that short videos are an effective way to capture and share the essence of your work.

How Your Videos Will Be Used: The selected videos will be featured on our social media channels and played during breaks at the camp. This provides an excellent opportunity for you to showcase your work to a broader audience and inspire others to get involved or collaborate with you.

Submission Guidelines:

  1. Videos should be 3-5 minutes in length.
  2. Please focus on the impact of your work, highlighting how it contributes to addressing gender gap.
  3. Be creative and engage in your presentation.
  4. Ensure video quality is clear and audible.
  5. Narration (optional): If possible, include a brief voiceover or text captions to provide context and explanation.
  6. Language: While English is preferred for wider accessibility, videos in other languages are also welcome. Kindly ensure that non-English videos are accompanied by English subtitles or captions.

Submission Deadline:

To be considered for inclusion in our camp programming, please submit your videos by Thursday, 28th September 2023. Late submissions may still be featured later on our social media channels.

How to Submit:

To avoid any issues with file sizes, we recommend using a file transfer service like WeTransfer or Google Drive while sharing your videos with us at admin@wikiwomencamp.org. In your email, include a brief description of your project, affiliate name / your name or username, and contact information.

We believe that your stories and experiences are powerful tools for change. By sharing them with our community, you contribute to a collective effort to bridge the gender gap and empower women and girls worldwide.

Thank you for being a part of the camp initiatives, and we look forward to receiving your inspiring videos.


Warm regards,
WikiWomenCamp 2023 COT


Maffeth.opiana (talk) 09:57, 21 September 2023 (UTC)Reply

Introducing the Wikimedia photo library and a workshop invite

edit

Dear Wikimedia affiliates communications leads,

We are so excited to share a new resource with you: The Wikimedia Photo Library. In it you will find high quality images that help to tell the story of free knowledge. We hope that this library will help you in the important work you do as a communication lead. Alongside this library, we’ve also updated guidelines on how to effectively use imagery to tell brand stories.

Curious to learn more about these resources?

We will be holding a short workshop for 45 minutes on Tuesday 3 October 2023, at 16:00 UTC (add event to your calendar) and again on Thursday 5 October at 7:00 UTC (add event to your calendar) to accommodate different time zones. During these workshops, we will walk you through some examples of images that align with the Movement Brand Guidelines, some basics of quality photography and answer any questions you may have about this topic.

The need for a Wikimedia Photo Library

Our research showed that there are lots of photos available from Wikimedia events, usually featuring people using computers. There were very few images showing mobile editing or reading, and even fewer showing people using the projects in their everyday lives.

These images are the first steps in creating a photo library that is representative of the whole movement. We have added images that are aligned with the Movement Brand Guidelines in this category on Wikimedia Commons. Photography is a powerful tool to create cohesion in Wikimedia communication. Our hope is that all of you will help to build this resource out with images from your region.

By continuing to add to this category, we will be helping one another tell more impactful stories of the free knowledge movement – learn how on the Brand portal on Meta-wiki.

Thank you so much and please let me know if you have any questions. We hope to see you at one of the workshops!


Best,

Samir and the Brand Studio team --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:53, 23 September 2023 (UTC)Reply

Follow up on the last message about the photography workshop

edit

Hi everyone,

This is a reminder about our photography sessions happening this week. Also, some people reached out with concerns about not being able to open the links to meetings in the previous message. Please find a direct link to the Google Meet sessions here:

Thank you and please let me know if you have any questions. If you have any questions please reach out to selsharbaty wikimedia org . --MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 08:21, 2 October 2023 (UTC)Reply

Opportunities open for the Affiliations Committee, Ombuds commission, and the Case Review Committee

edit

Hi everyone! The Affiliations Committee (AffCom), Ombuds commission (OC), and the Case Review Committee (CRC) are looking for new members. These volunteer groups provide important structural and oversight support for the community and movement. People are encouraged to nominate themselves or encourage others they feel would contribute to these groups to apply. There is more information about the roles of the groups, the skills needed, and the opportunity to apply on the Meta-wiki page.

If you are aware of participants in your affiliate who may be interested in these roles, please share this message with them.

On behalf of the Committee Support team, Keegan (WMF) (talk) 20:22, 18 October 2023 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia Foundation Affiliates Strategy: Summary and Report

edit

Dear Wikimedia affiliate,

Last year, the Wikimedia Foundation Board announced they started the process with creating an Affiliates Strategy in collaboration with the Affiliations Committee, the affiliates, and the broader communities with the intention to develop a strategy that will help guide the Foundation’s immediate work in supporting affiliates for the next few years, with a primary focus on the recognition process, as a direct responsibility of the Board.

Over several months, the Wikimedia Foundation Board engaged with an outside consultant to drive a review process of what work the Foundation was doing to support affiliates. The end goal was to have several recommended actions.

You can read more about the findings and the recommendations on this Meta-Wiki page.

Best,

MPossoupe_(WMF)21:28, 23 October 2023 (UTC)Reply

Notification of upcoming reporting due date

edit

Greetings Ailura, Suyash.dwivedi,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization reporting date is coming up in 20 day(s). Wikimedia Affiliates are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2023 annual reporting will be due in 2023-12-31. Please be sure to:

  • Post your 2023 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  • Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  • Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to wadportal wikimedia.org.

Best regards,

Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal

--User:DNdubane_(WMF) 11:28, 11 December 2023 (UTC)Reply

(Initial Review) Notification of Affiliate Expiration - Renewal pending submission of reporting

edit

Greetings Ailura, Suyash.dwivedi,

This is a notification to bring to your attention that your organization is currently past due on its required annual reporting. Wikimedia Affiliates are required to submit an annual activity report covering the entirety of the 12-month agreement period in order to prompt review for a renewal. Reports must be written in English, posted to meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal.

This page is used to track how organizations and groups are meeting reporting requirements described in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation (e.g. chapter agreements, thematic organization agreements, user group agreements). It is the central place where affiliates can add reports about their activities, share their plans, and even news or social media channels with the wider movement. When new reports are available, organizations and groups should add them to this page to keep their columns up to date.

As noted on the meta Reports page, your organization’s 2023 annual reporting became past due in 2023-12-31. Please be sure to:

  • Post your 2023 annual reporting to the meta via the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal as soon as possible to return to compliance with your user group agreement.
  • Check that your group’s page is also up to date with past report links for historical record-keeping, and
  • Please send an email to Wikimedia-l in order to share with a movement-wide audience.

If you have any questions or need any further guidance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to wadportal wikimedia.org.

Best regards,

Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal

--User:DNdubane_(WMF) 14:53, 8 January 2024 (UTC)Reply

I uploaded the report on 2024-01-01. Ailura (talk) 13:13, 8 January 2024 (UTC)Reply

Feedback invited on proposed requirements for affiliates & user groups recognition changes

edit
You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,

Following up on the development of Wikimedia Foundation Affiliates Strategy, we would like to invite you to give feedback on requirements for affiliates & user groups recognition changes. You can find the details of the proposed changes in this message from Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees liaisons to the Affiliations Committee, as well as the ways to give your feedback.

We have also reached out to your contact persons via the emails provided.

Best regards,

Xeno (WMF) (talk) 14:40, 9 February 2024 (UTC)Reply

The full draft of the Wikimedia Movement Charter will soon be shared

edit
You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Hi there,

The Movement Charter Drafting Committee is happy to announce that the full draft of the Movement Charter will be published on April 2nd, 2024. This will kick off the community engagement period from April 2nd to April 22nd.

The Movement Charter is a proposed document to define roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia Movement, including to lay out a new Global Council for movement governance.

Everyone in the Wikimedia Movement is invited to share opinions on the full version of the Charter draft – this is the last chance to offer feedback before the Charter draft is updated for the ratification vote in June 2024.

How to share your feedback?

Read the Committee's latest updates for more information.

On behalf of the MCDC,

RamzyM (WMF) 13:58, 28 March 2024 (UTC)Reply

The full Movement Charter draft awaits your review on Meta

edit
You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Hi everyone,

The full draft of the Movement Charter has been published on Meta for your review.

Why should you care?

The Charter is important as it will be an essential document for the implementation of the 2030 strategy recommendations. Participating in the Charter discussions means that you ensure that your voice is heard and your interests are represented in shaping the future of the Movement.

Community Engagement – April 2nd to April 30th, 2024

The Movement Charter Drafting Committee (MCDC) cordially invites everyone in the Wikimedia movement to share feedback on the full draft of the Movement Charter.

Let your voice be heard by sharing your feedback it in any language on the Movement Charter talk pages, attend a community drop-in session, or email movementcharter@wikimedia.org.

Please read the Committee's latest updates for more information.

Thank you.

On behalf of the MCDC,

RamzyM (WMF) 13:07, 3 April 2024 (UTC)Reply

Affiliations Committee News (January-March 2024)

edit
 
Group photo of the 2023 EduWiki Conference in Belgrade, organized by Wikipedia & Education User Group

You can find this newsletter translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Quarterly newsletter sharing news and events about the work of Wikimedia's Affiliations Committee.

read this newsletter in fullsubscribe/unsubscribe

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:55, 18 April 2024 (UTC)Reply

Board of Trustees selection call for candidates

edit

Hello all,

The call for candidates for the 2024 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees selection is now open from May 8, 2024 - May 29, 2024 at 23:59 UTC. The Board of Trustees oversees the Wikimedia Foundation's work, and each Trustee serves a three-year term. This is a volunteer position.

This year, the Wikimedia community will vote to fill four (4) seats on the Foundation Board in August 2024. You can see the timeline of the full selection process here.

Traits

Wikimedia is a global movement and seeks candidates from the broader community. Ideal candidates are thoughtful, respectful, community-oriented and align with the Wikimedia Foundation mission. Candidates should think about what experiences and perspectives they will bring to the Board.

The Board would like to find perspectives and voices that are essential but underrepresented in our movement. Accordingly, all candidates will be asked to include statements in their application that speak to their experiences in the world and in the movement and share how those experiences have equipped them to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Trustees commitment

Trustees serve a three year term and can serve up to three consecutive terms. The expectation is that Trustees serve on at least one of the Board’s committees. The time commitment is about 150 hours per year, excluding travel. This time is not evenly spread throughout the year. The time is concentrated around meetings.

Trustees requirements

English is the language of business for the Board. Candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English. Previous experience serving on a collective decision-making body, especially Boards or committees, and significant experience in Wikimedia (or equivalent) movement building and organizing are expected from candidates.

Apply

Candidates from all projects and communities who meet the criteria to become a Wikimedia Trustee are welcome to apply. Could you - or someone you know - be a good fit to join the Wikimedia Foundation's Board of Trustees? Encourage them to run for election. Candidates can find information and submit their nomination on the candidate application page. If you want to learn more about the role of Trustees or have questions, refer to this candidate resources page.

Community questions for candidates

All community members, including affiliates, are invited to submit questions for the Board of Trustees candidates to answer. From the list of questions, the Election Committee selects 5 questions for candidates to answer, which the candidates are expected to answer. The selected questions may be a combination of what’s been submitted from the community, if they’re alike or related. Questions can be submitted between May 8 - June 12 at 23:59 UTC. Learn more about how to submit your questions on this Meta-wiki page.

Best regards,

The Elections Committee and Board Selection Working Group

MPossoupe_(WMF) 18:33, 8 May 2024 (UTC)Reply

Feedback invited on Procedure for Sibling Project Lifecycle

edit
You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language
 

Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,

The Community Affairs Committee (CAC) of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees invites you to give feedback on a draft Procedure for Sibling Project Lifecycle. Affiliates play important roles in the Movement, working with communities and external partners, and thus they bring valuable perspectives to the table. We warmly welcome you to the conversations. In addition, please share information about this with your affiliate membership, and any project communities your affiliate works with or supports. You can also help translate the procedure into more languages so that people can join the discussions in their language.

This draft Procedure outlines proposed steps and requirements for opening and closing Wikimedia Sibling Projects. It aims to ensure any newly approved projects are set up for success. This is separate from the procedures for opening or closing language versions of projects, which is handled by the Language Committee. It is also separate from the closing projects policy.

You can find the details of the proposal on this page, as well as the ways to give your feedback from today until the end of the day on June 23, 2024, anywhere on Earth.

We have also reached out to your contact persons via the emails provided.

On behalf of the CAC,

RamzyM (WMF) 16:08, 21 May 2024 (UTC)Reply

The final text of the Wikimedia Movement Charter is now on Meta

edit
You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Hi everyone,

The final text of the Wikimedia Movement Charter is now up on Meta in more than 20 languages for your reading.

What is the Wikimedia Movement Charter?

The Wikimedia Movement Charter is a proposed document to define roles and responsibilities for all the members and entities of the Wikimedia movement, including the creation of a new body – the Global Council – for movement governance.

Join the Wikimedia Movement Charter “Launch Party”

Join the “Launch Party” on June 20, 2024 at 14.00-15.00 UTC (your local time). During this call, we will celebrate the release of the final Charter and present the content of the Charter. Join and learn about the Charter before casting your vote.

Movement Charter ratification vote

Voting will commence on SecurePoll on June 25, 2024 at 00:01 UTC and will conclude on July 9, 2024 at 23:59 UTC. You can read more about the voting process, eligibility criteria, and other details on Meta.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment on the Meta talk page or email the MCDC at mcdc@wikimedia.org.

On behalf of the MCDC,

RamzyM (WMF) 08:43, 11 June 2024 (UTC)Reply

Wikimedia Foundation Affiliates Strategy: Affiliate health criteria and changes to User Group recognition process

edit
This communication has been adapted from the original message.

Dear all,

We would like to thank all of you who shared feedback with us during this phase of the Wikimedia Foundation Affiliates Strategy process that started in November 2022, both on- and off-wiki. You can read the report from the first phase here.

Since that point, AffCom has been working with the Board of Trustees, Foundation staff, affiliates, and wider community members to enable them to provide appropriate guidance to affiliates regarding what it means to be an active and healthy Wikimedia organisation. As a result of those conversations, the committee has voted to adopt the following 10 criteria for affiliates, grouped into four main areas:

  • Goal delivery
  • Organisational Development
    • Good governance & communication
    • Financial & legal compliance
    • Affiliate health & resilience
  • Leadership & Inclusion
    • Diverse, skilled, and accountable leadership
    • Diversity balance (especially gender)
    • Universal Code of Conduct compliance)
  • Engagement & Collaboration
    • Internal (membership) engagement
    • Community connection
    • Partnerships & collaboration

You are encouraged to read more details about each of these criteria here, including guidance on how each can be met. All criteria will be tracked for all affiliates, except for the criteria around financial and legal compliance, which only apply to those affiliates receiving funds and/or that are incorporated.

Staff and AffCom are working on streamlining affiliate reporting requirements, and responding to feedback raised during the community feedback period about the reporting burden. The new requirements of data collected in reports would be useful also for different Foundation teams and departments, and allow for the creation of detailed regional or global reports that demonstrate affiliate health and impact.

In July 2024, AffCom will work to finalise the implementation plans for the changes to the affiliate requirements and application process. In August 2024, updates will be made to Meta-wiki and other supporting platforms.

You can follow the process here.

The insights from the 2023 process also included recognising a need to strengthen AffCom processes for evaluating potential User Groups’ furtherance of shared movement goals, sustainability, and general ability to be healthy and active movement participants. AffCom has adopted a revised process for User Group recognition, and will be pausing new User Group recognitions until September 2024.

No immediate changes are happening, except the pause of considering new User Group recognitions until September, for applications received after today, June 12, 2024. Once more detailed implementation plans are developed, there will be an update here and on the relevant Meta pages with the next steps after Wikimania.

To provide your feedback, please leave a comment on the main talk page on Meta.

Alternatively, you can join AffCom's open office hours on June 19 at 14:00 UTC or request a conversation as a part of Talking:2024. You can use the Let’s Talk to sign up for a time to speak with us.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best regards,

Nat, Mike & Lorenzo

Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Liaisons to the Affiliations Committee

Sunday June 23 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting (WMF BoT statement on Movement Charter ratification)

edit
 
A group of SWANs heading to the meeting

Hello everyone!

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas about current developments in the Wikimedia Movement. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for further Wikimedia 2030 strategy process work.

At this meeting we will focus on the recent statement by the WMF Board of Trustees liaisons statement on the Movement Charter in which the liaisons stated that they will be recommending the Board of Trustees not to ratify the final draft of the Movement Charter. The community and affiliate votes on the ratification are supposed to start on Tuesday, 25 June. This meeting offers a venue to discuss the situation and formulate the "next steps".

This month, we are meeting on Sunday, June 23, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

UTC meeting times are and

Nadzik (talk) 16:30, 22 June 2024 (UTC)Reply

Affiliations Committee News (April-June 2024)

edit
 
AffCom group photo at Wikimedia Summit 2024 in Berlin, Germany

You can find this newsletter translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki. Please help translate to your language

Quarterly newsletter sharing news and events about the work of Wikimedia's Affiliations Committee.

Return to "Commons Photographers User Group" page.