This page supports North American affiliate participation in the Movement Charter Drafting Committee Set Up Process.
The Movement Strategy and Governance team is available to support this process.
- Main article: Movement Charter/Drafting Committee
The Movement Charter Drafting Committee will create a draft of this Charter. The content will follow the Movement Strategy recommendation “Equity in Decision-Making”. The committee's work extends to writing a draft. It includes research and consulting with communities, experts, and organizations. This draft will need to gain consensus by Movement-wide ratification before it becomes the Charter.
This Drafting Committee will have around 15 members. It is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation. For further detail consult Drafting Committee matrices.
- In order to help complete the Drafting Committee with the selection of the six (6) appointed members: each region will appoint 1 selector in a transparent affiliate selecting process to form a 9 member Selection Committee.
- Each region decides their preferred selection method.
- The selectors need to be appointed and the committee formed by October 10, 2021
- The selection process will run in parallel to the election process and will focus on adding diverse expert profiles to the Drafting Committee based on the Diversity and Expertise matrices.
- Every selector will create their list of preferences.
- There will be a meeting to discuss the preferences and to finalize the selection across the group.
- The selection will be conducted between October 11 - 24, 2021
- The results of the selection process and the Drafting Committee members will be announced before the end of October 31, 2021.
- Appointed selectors cannot be candidates for the Drafting Committee.
Procedure for determining the selector Edit
- REVISION AS OF October 10, 2021, after a brief meeting of WMF and WikiConference North America participants:
- DEADLINE has been extended to October 13, 2021
- A PROVISIONAL representative has volunteered to temporarily serve in the short term for procedural matters, but is not the long term selector (Kevin Payravi/User:SuperHamster)
- A PROPOSED PROCESS has been put forth to allow for nominations and final "vote" by affiliates:
- October 11 - Urgent meeting of WALRUS and Wikimedia Canada community to explain process (meeting info)
- October 11-12 - nominations open (currently, on this page)
- October 13 (end of day) - Deadline for affiliate representives to fill in chart below with preferred candidate
- Simple majority determines the selector, not all affiliates are required to vote
- Previous meetings
- Notes from previous meetings can be found at WALRUS/October 2021
- Google Meet
October 8, 2021 21:00 EDT / 18:00 PDT (October 9, 2021 01:00 UTC) October 10, 2021 21:00 EDT / 18:00 PDT (October 11, 2021 01:00 UTC) October 11, 2021 21:00 EDT / 18:00 PDT (October 12, 2021 01:00 UTC) October 12, 2021 21:00 EDT / 18:00 PDT (October 12, 2021 01:00 UTC) - hangout and information session
Users willing to be a selector Edit
(Self nominations or nominated by others with nominee accepting)
Open until October 12, 2021, 11:59 p.m. Pacific US time
- en:User:Liannadavis (self nomination if nobody else wants to be) - eligible
- Personally second the nomination. - Fuzheado (talk) 02:01, 13 October 2021 (UTC)
- Enthusiastically third the nomination! Thank you for being willing to serve! (all of you who self-nominated or were nudged, thanks to you all as well!) -Eyoungstrom (talk) 13:11, 13 October 2021 (UTC)
- +1 -- LiAnna has been following the movement charter/consultation/election process closely and I am glad that she wants to continue in this role! -- phoebe | talk 16:50, 13 October 2021 (UTC)
- en:User:Calliopejen1 (nominated by: User:RightCowLeftCoast) - not eligible, given no acceptance
- en:User:Rimmel.Edits (nominated by: User:RightCowLeftCoast) - not eligible, given no acceptance
- w:User:North8000 (nominated by: User:RightCowLeftCoast) - accepted, eligible
Selector choice Edit
Open until October 13, 2021, 11:59 p.m. Pacific US time
The voting period is over.
Representative in italics = tentative