The Global Council is a planned body that is intended to serve as "a global structure that responds to the needs of our Movement as a whole and represents communities in an equitable way", and would be "representative of the Movement in its role and composition". It was proposed as part of one of the 2018-20 Strategy recommendations, titled "Ensure Equity in Decision-making", which was then, together with the rest of the recommendations, approved by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
The recommendation states that "Any decision affecting our communities has to involve those communities to prevent imbalanced outcomes", and describes the Council as "providing representation of communities" and "ensur[ing] shared responsibility and accountability". The Council will be composed of both elected and selected members, "in a way designed to reflect the breadth and diversity of participation not only in the Movement at present but also in communities we wish to serve".
Rôles et responsabilités
From the strategy recommendations:
This body will have authorities and responsibilities outlined in the Charter, and these should include, but not be limited to:
- Overseeing the implementation of Movement Strategy, with community input wherever possible, and its alignment across established structures of the Movement;
- Superviser la poursuite du développement et l'approbation de la Charte du Mouvement ;
- Renforcer la responsabilité de toutes les organisations du Mouvement autour :
- Utilisation des fonds du Mouvement ;
- Alignement avec la mission, la vision et la direction stratégique de Wikimédia ;
- Respect de la Charte du mouvement ;
- Utilisation appropriée de la marque et des marques du mouvement;
- Définir des cadres pour l'allocation des ressources et la génération de revenus pour le Mouvement.
- Any responsibility that the Interim Global Council has identified as needing to be delegated by the Board.
The Global Council should oversee the implementation of the guidance given by the Movement as described in the Movement Charter, including recommendations for funds allocation to regional and thematic hubs and other Movement organizations while recognizing the involved organizations’ legal and fiduciary obligations.
Board good practices accountability
The Global Council will be responsible for holding boards accountable for following good practices, and will create mechanisms to review and provide support for boards that do not follow good practices. Good practice guidelines for how boards function (such as term limits, election and selection processes, and approaches to other governance questions where applicable and relevant for a community) will be established.
Several proposals for global bodies representing the community were made previously, including the Wikicouncil (also called "Wikimedia Global Council") proposal in 2005, and the Wikimedia Federation proposal in 2008.
The Global Council proposal was initiated by the Roles and Responsibilities Working Group during the 2018-20 Strategy Process. The proposal went through three iterations (1, 2, 3), before arriving at the final version in May 2020. The proposal, together with the rest of the strategy recommendations, was then approved by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
Transition and Interim Global Council
- “Immediate steps” comment from Ad Huikeshoven (in English)
- Global Council distribution formula - a proposal by Yair rand (in English)
- Global Council proposal by Ziko (in English)
- Movement Charter Input by The Land
- Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network: IGC-MC
- Nano Charter by Pharos
- Project wiki representatives
- Proposal by Ramzy Muliawan (in English)