Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wiktionary/Context-dependent sort key
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Context-dependent sort key
- Problem: In most Wiktionary projects, words of different languages share a page if their spellings are identical. Currently, the magic word DEFAULTSORT works for an entire page, which means we cannot define a default sort key for each language in the same page. That is an issue especially for Chinese, Japanese and Korean (hanja). They share characters but their sort keys are totally different (radicals or pinyin for Chinese, kana for Japanese, hangeul for Korean). If it is allowed to define a default sort key for each section, it will be much easier to correctly categorize pages.
- Who would benefit: Editors of Wiktionary, especially those who edit Chinese and Japanese entries.
- Proposed solution: Introduction of a new magic word, say, SECTIONSORT, that works for all categories after it up to the next usage of the same magic word. SECTIONSORT should override DEFAULTSORT if both are defined. The use of SECTIONSORT without a sort key should clear the previous sort key (and should not define an empty sort key).
- More comments: see Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Wiktionary/Context-dependent sort key for a discussion in 2017. It is still a problem.
- Phabricator tickets: phab:T183747
- Proposer: TAKASUGI Shinji (talk) 12:19, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- Currently, one adds a sort key to an entire page. The goal of this proposal is to allow more than on sort key per page: one per section; e.g. one sort key for the Chinese section of 子, one sort key for the Japanese section of the same entry, etc. This is because a same word may not be sorted the same way in different languages, and Wiktionaries often have entries from multiple languages in the same page, as a page corresponds to a specific spelling (which may occurs in multiple languages). — Automatik (talk) 14:06, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Notifying Wargo — Automatik (talk) 14:07, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
See also my somewhat related proposal (I keep missing the deadline) Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Archive/Allow multiple entries within each category. Urhixidur (talk) 13:30, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 11:55, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Urhixidur (talk) 13:15, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Noé (talk) 16:16, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Support JogiAsad (talk) 17:44, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sounds useful for many types of info besides just words. Wikicat (talk) 20:01, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 01:01, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Psychoslave (talk) 03:49, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Pamputt (talk) 21:02, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support DaraDaraDara (talk) 09:39, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Otourly (talk) 10:05, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Vulphere 13:03, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support This solution is necessary to allow per-language manual sort keys when an algorithm may not determine the correct sort key by itself (which is the case for Japanese and Chinese, according to Shinji). Automatik (talk) 13:40, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Thibaut120094 (talk) 14:17, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Unsui (talk) 14:48, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Lyokoï (talk) 14:59, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Pom445 (talk) 16:34, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 15:25, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Nuevo Paso (talk) 07:36, 24 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support A garbage person (talk) 17:25, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Peter Bowman (talk) 11:40, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Curious (talk) 21:18, 28 November 2018 (UTC)