Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Archive/Allow multiple entries within each category
Created after proposal phase ended
- Problem: Sometimes, multiple entries within a category would be useful. For instance, on the French wiktionary there is a listing of French verbs that includes both the infinitive form (e.g. aimer) and a pronominal form (s’aimer). But which sort key should be given to the pronominal form? Equally valid arguments apply for a « aimer s » key and a « saimer » key. Ideally, the entry would appear twice in the category, under those two keys. There are other examples, such as proper nouns beginning with a definite article (e.g. Le Mans should be categorised under « Mans Le » and « Le Mans »).
- Who would benefit: Wiktionaries, other wiki projects.
- Proposed solution: Possibly add to the wiki software a magic word that can be used to specify a second (third, fourth, etc.) entry in a category’s index. Other wikicode approaches may be possible.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Translations: none yet
- Last year's proposal received a terse opposition comment that merely stated the proposal was "not well-cooked". That was unhelpful. It is not for the proposer to advance a technical answer, it's up to the developers to figure out the least disruptive, most efficient way of satisfying the proposal.
- I'll conclude by adding that this could be merged with the proposal for Context-dependent sort keys, depending on the technical solution chosen. Urhixidur (talk) 17:32, 8 December 2017 (UTC)