Destaques da Wikimedia, abril de 2014
Destaques do Relatório da Fundação Wikimedia e do relatório de engenharia da Wikimedia para abril de 2014, com uma seleção de outros importantes eventos do movimento Wikimedia
Destaques da Fundação Wikimedia
Wikimedia Labs migrou para o novo data center
O Wikimedia Labs é uma plataforma que permite os voluntários hospedar ferramentas de software para apoiar o trabalho da comunidade, e de se envolver nas operações técnicas dos servidores da Wikimedia. Como parte dos trabalhos, em curso, da Fundação para reduzir a dependência do antigo centro de dados, em Tampa, Flórida (EUA) , Labs foram transferido para o novo data center em Ashburn, Virginia, em abril, completando vários meses de trabalho por parte do pessoal da WMF e por voluntários que atuam nos projetos Labs. Entre as vantagens está a mudança para um novo sistema de arquivos (NFS), que é muito mais confiável do que o utilizado usado para o Labs no antigo data center (GlusterFS, que causaram a maior parte das falhas do Labs e paradas nos meses anteriores). Além disso, no novo data center, muitos dos projetos do Labs, agora estão usando a web proxy interno do Labs, que proporciona vários benefícios, incluindo acesso HTTPS e aumentou a privacidade dos dados do usuário. O Toolserver, o antecessor da Ferramenta "Tool Labs" do Wikimedia Labs, está prevista para encerrar no dia 30 de junho.
Nova MediaViewer começa a ser lançado nos sites da Wikimedia
The Foundation's multimedia team released Media Viewer v0.2 on 14 pilot sites in April, in preparation for a wider deployment in May. The overall response was favorable, and a growing majority of survey respondents was finding this new multimedia browser useful. The team also developed a set of metrics dashboards to track how often MediaViewer and its various features are used, and how fast it performs over the Internet, as well as local metrics dashboards for selected sites: first results showed a decline in image load time, and suggest that Media Viewer loads faster than the old file description pages.
Novo Diretor Executivo e chefe de Comunicações
In April, preparations took place to welcome the Foundation's incoming executive director Lila Tretikov, who was announced on May 1. She will succeed Sue Gardner on June 1, who will move into a new role as special adviser. Lila Tretikov was born in the Soviet Union and moved to the United States as a teenager. She has been working for technology companies, primarily in open source, in the San Francisco Bay Area for the past 15 years, most recently at SugarCRM.
Também em Abril, Katherine Maher foi announced como a nova Oficial Chefe de Comunicações da Fundação.
Dados e Tendências
Global unique visitors for March:
- 495 million (+4.44% compared with February; -4.33% compared with the previous year)
- (comScore data for all Wikimedia Foundation projects; comScore will release April data later in May)
Page requests for April:
- 20.697 billion (-1.6% compared with March; -0.6% compared with the previous year)
- (Server log data, all Wikimedia Foundation content projects including mobile access, but excluding Wikidata and the Wikipedia main portal page.)
Active Registered Editors for March 2014 (>= 5 mainspace edits/month, excluding bots):
- 79,352 (+4.59% compared with February / -2.84% compared with the previous year)
- (Database data, all Wikimedia Foundation projects.)
Report Card (integrating various statistical data and trends about WMF projects):
(Financial information is only available through March 2014 at the time of this report.)
All financial information presented is for the Month-To-Date and Year-To-Date March 31, 2014.
|Receitas||40 957 259|
|Grupo de Engenharia||12 358 813|
|Grupo de Arrecadação de Fundos||2 989 855|
|Grupo de Atribuição de Verbas||1 198 163|
|Grupo de Programas||1 358 725|
|Subsídios||3 961 161|
|Grupo Governança||582 854|
|Grupo de Direito/Advocacia Comunitária/Comunicação||2 831 941|
|Grupo Financeiro/Recursos Humanos/Administração||5 034 754|
|Despesas Totais||30 316 266|
|Superávit total||(10 640 993)|
|em dólares dos EUA|
- Receita para o mês de março é de US $ 1.71MM contra plano de US $ 0.01mm, de aproximadamente US $ 1.70MM ou 29,215% em relação ao plano.
- Year-to-date revenue is $40.96MM versus plan of $45.05MM, approximately $4.09MM or 9% under plan.
- Expenses for the month of March is $3.22MM versus plan of $4.57MM, approximately $1.35MM or 30% under plan, primarily due to lower personnel expenses, internet hosting, FDC grants, payment processing fees, and travel expenses partially offset by higher legal fees and outside contract services.
- Year-to-date expenses is $30.32MM versus plan of $36.37MM, approximately $6.05MM or 17% under plan, primarily due to lower personnel expenses, capital expenses, internet hosting, legal fees, payment processing fees, staff development expenses, grants and travel expenses partially offset by higher outside contract services.
- Caixa e Investimentos - $ 50,69MM desde de 31 março de 2014.
Outros destaques do movimento Wikimedia
Conferência Anual da Wikimedia junta as organizações Wikimedia em Berlim
From April 10-13, representatives of Wikimedia chapters, the Wikimedia Foundation and other organizations and committees from the Wikimedia movement attended Wikimedia Conference 2014 in Berlin, hosted by the German chapter. In previous years, many presentations covered program activities by chapters, but this year's conference focused more on organisational issues and the future of the Wikimedia movement in general. Examples from the schedule:
- Wikimedia Germany presented the results of its Chapters Dialogue project, which assessed the needs, goals and stories of Wikimedia chapters. Representatives from all chapters had been interviewed for the project, alongside other actors.
- Several other sessions and workshops at the conference discussed how to evaluate the success of program activities in the movement.
Wikimedians se lembrar de Adrianne Wadewitz e Cynthia Ashley-Nelson
The Wikimedia movement mourned the unexpected deaths of two prominent female Wikipedians in April.
Adrianne Wadewitz (User:Wadewitz) began editing Wikipedia in 2004, reaching over 50,000 edits. She was known as a scholar who advocated the use of Wikipedia in education and helped to pioneer the approach of letting students contribute to Wikipedia as part of their courses (today the Wikipedia Education Program). Her work to overcome Wikipedia's gender gap earned her wide recognition.
Cynthia Ashley-Nelson (User:Cindamuse) began editing Wikipedia in 2007, reaching over 33,000 edits. She participated in the Volunteer Response Team (OTRS) and was a moderator of the gender-gap mailing list. She passed away at the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin where she had just been elected vice-chair of the Affiliations Committee.
Wiki Education Foundation recebe uma doação de 1,39 milhões dolares
The Wiki Education Foundation was initiated in 2013 as a spin-off of the Wikimedia Foundation, assuming responsibility for supporting the Wikipedia Education Program in the United States and Canada, formerly run by the Wikimedia Foundation. The program, in which students write Wikipedia articles in place of traditional term papers, created the equivalent of more than 7,000 printed pages of new, high-quality content during the fall term of 2013 and the equivalent of more than 36,000 printed pages of content since its start in 2010.
On April 14, the Wiki Education Foundation announced that it had received a $1.39 million grant from the Stanton Foundation. The grant covers the first year of a three-year funding period, and supports improvements in the education program in the US and Canada, as well as additional programs to improve underdeveloped content areas on Wikipedia.