Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Financial plan/Contract Wikimedia Foundation/Report
This reports is specifically related to the Grant agreement between Wikimedia Foundation and Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus.
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
- Yes and no. Wikimania 2016 Esino Lario is completed, but the larger project framing Wikimania 2016 and titled Wikimania Esino Lario - Protagonismo culturale offline e online is planned to end in May 2017 (we are actually considering to ask a 6-months extension to include in the activities also summer 2017 which would be really relevant for our territory).
Activities and lessons learnedEdit
This page is meant to provide a full report about the implementation of Wikimania Esino Lario and how things were organized and set. The report also highlight the differences with the executive project of Wikimania Esino Lario as it was presented for the 2016 bid. In general Wikimania Esino Lario was implemented as planned with the main difference that we were able to do more than we expect we could.
|Area||As planned||Differences compared to the initial plan|
|Programme during Wikimania||
|Programme before and after Wikimania||
Designing a program of activities during Wikimania for children to support the involvement of volunteers with children and to facilitate the participation of families.
Program team on wikimania2016 website.
|Location||Safety (on site)||
|Organization||Budget and fund-raising team||
Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects
Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects
Documentation on site
Municipalities, images, cultural heritage, natural sites, history, culture of the territory; Esino Lario [w:it:Esino Lario on it.wikipedia], [w:en:Esino Lario on en.wikipedia], [commons:category:Esino Lario on Wikimedia Commons], [voy:it:Esino Lario on it.wikivoyage], Province of Lecco, Province of Como, Province of Sondrio, Valsassina, Ticino. Collaboration with the project The Alps on Wikipedia.
- What worked well?
- Working on a specific territory.
- Creating a truly strongly collaborative project. Astonishing fundraising and true engagement of people.
- Creating a programme of 2-3 years around Wikimania.
- Establishing a series of pillars we actually used during the project.
- What didn't work?
- The practical results of the contest Adotta un comune (meant to produce knowledge of Lombardy Region on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects). The initiative was actually not planned, it was very well supported but it was not the best approach to produce content or we were not able to make it work.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
It is difficult to know how to plan Wikimania Esino Lario (or a similar project) differently. Wikimania Esino Lario was such a complex project that it was not and it could not be a project conceived in a straight-forward way; Wikimania was the result of many different minds who rigorously prepared the project (a very important and indispensable step) but who also fabricated the event while doing it. Only now we know how to increase the electricity, to connect the water line to a tensile structure, which are the technical details of each building of Esino Lario, the names of people working on visa at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and at the Consulate of Calcutta... We did not know the things we know now (and now we can use our knowledge for new and different projects); but to make a project similar to Wikimania Esino Lario you can't know it all. Wikimania was a mixture of planning, competences, intelligences, acquisition of knowledge, fights, improvisation, dance, miracle and sunshine.
Outcomes and impactEdit
- Provide the original project goal here.
- Organizing a pleasant and affordable conference designed for 1'000 participants.
- Testing a new collaborative format for Wikimania.
- Develop a sustainable Wikimania, which generates a long-term impact on the territory where it is organized (scalable experience).
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Done We organized a pleasant and affordable conference designed for 1'000 participants and welcoming 1368 participants. The survey provides us feedback about the conference.
- Done We tested a new collaborative format for Wikimania.
- Done We develop a sustainable Wikimania, which is generating a long-term impact on the territory where it is organized.
Progress towards targets and goalsEdit
|1. Done Organizing a pleasant and affordable conference designed for 1'000 participants.||
|2. Done Testing a new collaborative format for Wikimania.||
|3. Done Develop a sustainable Wikimania, which generates a long-term impact on the territory where it is organized (scalable experience).||
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||700||Please note that the number is an estimation based on the tribal nature of Wikimania (it is essentially a gathering for people already active in the Wikimedia movement). Below the information we have:
|2. # of new editors||20||All volunteers contributing to Wikimania has released the content they produce for Wikimania (texts and photo) under cc by-sa and we made uploads of images and content produced by Paolo Boncompagni, Pier Carlo Barindelli, Guido Barindelli, Serena Nasazzi, Michele Casanova, Catherine de Senarclens, Carlo Maria Pensa, Vincent Plisson, GianClaudio Ferraroli, Simone Sala.
|3. # of individuals involved||
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (Optional)||6000||
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||
Learning question: Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
According to the survey 324 people out of 361 answered that they are planning at least a new project or collaboration in the next 6 months that will involve people they met at Wikimania Esino Lario.
According to the follow up of the project we have the impression that Wikimania has increased the motivation of contributors
- An Italian gathering of Wikimedia editors was immediately conceived and it is under evaluation. The gathering involves 2 very active volunteers of WIkimania.
- Volunteers of Wikimania without previous experiences in the Wikimedia community have been involved in the selection phase of Wiki Loves Monuments with great enthusiasm.
- The Wikimania programme is continuing until May 2017 (and we are asking an extension) with a very intense programme of initiatives related to open knowledge, freedom of panoramme, acquisition of skills and production of content related to the Lombardy Regione on the Wikimedia projects.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Wikimania is the main event related to the Wikimedia projects. Indeed participating in Wikimania means participating in a Wikimedia project.
Wikimania Esino Lario had worked in two directions:
- focus for 5 days on the international community attending the event (with a programme in English) by:
- involving active editors,
- reaching potential new editors,
- addressing topics related to the community,
- activating diabetes
- supporting the planning of projects and the design of new projects
- focus for two years on a local and national audience (in Italian) by:
- collaborating with Wikimedia Italia, supporting and organizing activities of outreach (presentations, training, a communication campaign in libraries, Youth Hackathon, Wiki Loves Monuments) in the Lombardy Region and Ticino,
- increasing the visibility of the Wikimedia projects with the visibility of Wikimania on the press
- using Wikimania to bring attention to the issue of Italian cultural heritage on the Wikimedia projects.
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
Reporting and documentation of expendituresEdit
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Yes. All receipts and the detailed final budget to document the contribution from the Wikimedia Foundation is on the shared folder Report Wikimedia Foundation 2016 on google drive and notified to Ellie Young. Please note that the financial documentation can not be public for privacy reasons but the Wikimania Committee and the team who contributes or reviews the budget have access to the folder.
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Food and participants||
||47'131,48||EUR||All the other expenses related to food and accommodation have been managed by Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario with funds coming from participants. Please note that this budget will be available in 2017 when we close the association final year.|
|2||Venue and technical||
||134'216,77||EUR||Please note that we had the support of the insurance company for the cost of the insurance and that we receive the support of Eolo for the connectivity (value of 100'000 euro) and Eolo for computers and equipment (value 30'000 euro).|
|3||Organization and communication||
Please note that this financial report is meant to explain how the contribution of 200.000 euro from Wikimedia Foundation was spent. This is not the final budget of the entire project which will end in 2017.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 281'121 euro in the bid. Please note that the total project budget has increased to 435'000 euro with a confirmed contribution of 200'000 euro from Wikimedia Foundation, 190'000 euro from Cariplo Foundation and contributions from Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus / Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Wikimedia Italia, Comunità montana della Valsassina Valvarrone Val d'Esino e Riviera, ODL, A+E Milano srl. All expenses will be fully reported with receipts and reports of payments within the project Wikimania Esino Lario - Protagonismo culturale offline e online (in Italian).
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 200'000 euro
- Total amount spent on this project
- 230'445,13 euro in this report. We will have the final budget in 2017 including all the income (including the registration fees and the contribution of Cariplo Foundation)
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 200'000 euro.
Please note that Wikimedia Foundation was supposed to cover also the badges and lanyard; due to some delivery issues we decided to manage it directly. Wikimedia Foundation covered the cost of 4'200,22 euro with a contribution to the Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 (two bills of 2'909,09 euro and 671 euro; one bill of 620,13 euro has been paid by Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016 = 4'200,22 euro). This report only presents payment done by Associazione Amici del Museo delle Grigne Onlus.
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
|Confirmed income||Euro||Managed the the City Council||In-kind||Total in euro||Notes|
|Wikimedia Foundation||200.000||Funds used specifically for the conference.|
|Wikimedia Foundation (badges and lanyards)||4.200,22||Reimbursement for the costs of the badges and lanyards.|
|Cariplo Foundation||190.000||Funds used for a 2-years programme of Wikimedia and cultural activities in the region. Please refer to the full project Wikimania Esino Lario - Protagonismo culturale offline e online.|
|Lombardy Region (Regione Lombardia)||200.000||300.000||Funds for renovation and accessibility of public buildings and the Varenna-Cortenova street. The funds have been managed by the Esino Lario city council and the Province of Lecco.|
|Province of Lecco (Provincia di Lecco)||200.000||Funds for the Varenna-Cortenova street and conference space at Villa Monastero.|
|Esino Lario City Council||60.000||Funds for renovation and accessibility of public buildings.|
|Elmec Informatica||30.000||Technical support and collaboration in the communication of the project.|
|BIM Bacino Imbrifero Montano||30.000||Funds for renovation and accessibility of public buildings (Sport Hall).|
|Wikimedia Italia||20.000||In-kind contribution of time of staff member. Wikimedia Italia receives € 20.000 to implement Wikimedia activities in the region.|
|SUPSI||10.000||In-kind contribution for the involvement of team members of the Laboratory of visual culture.|
|BCC Credito Cooperativo Valsassina||6.000||Funds for the renovation of the former cinema.|
|Comunità montana della Valsassina, Valvarrone, Val d'Esino e Riviera||5.000||The Comunità montana receives € 5.000 to implement Wikimedia activities in the region.|
|O.D.L. srl||5.000||Financial support.|
|Mauri||4.000||Excursion to the company and the village of Pasturo (bus, organization and aperitif), event in Esino Lario with their products (cheese).|
|Norda||4.000||Products (water and baverage).|
|Vendomat||4.000||Products (coffee machines and coffee).|
|HDI Maglia Assicurazioni||4.000||Support with the insurance.|
|SAL Servizi Automobilistici Lecchesi - Arriva||3.000||Financial support.|
|A+E Milano srl||3.837||Funds for the communication of Wikimania. The amount is included and subtracted in a bill.|
|Lufthansa||3.000||Funds for merchandizing and airplane tickets.|
|Casa dell'Economia – Camera di Commercio di Lecco||2.000||Funds for the communication of the project.|
|Other companies supporting the event||15.000||The support of companies and institutions provided services and products for the event.|
|Participants registration fee||This budget will be available in 2017 when we finalize the budget of the Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016, managing it.|
|Total income||417.200,22||290.000||698.837||1.406.037,22||Please note that we spent for the project management and coordination € 10.938,10.|
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
Subpages included in this document:
- Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Report
- Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Team/Roles
- Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Evaluation
- Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Financial plan/Contract Wikimedia Foundation/Report-WMF metrics
- Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Final income
- Wikimania 2016 bids/Esino Lario/Financial plan/Contract Wikimedia Foundation/Report-financial summery
- Grants:Learning patterns/Wikimania anywhere
- Grants:Learning patterns/Conferences leaveraging open knowledge and the Wikimedia projects in a specific territory