User talk:Pine/Archive 2

Add topic
Active discussions

Re: you and I bothEdit

I didn't particularly like messages like «I think [...] directions that you and I both agree». I appreciate your interest in connecting and mediating but I suggest you may want to be more careful in making assumptions about my thoughts and intents beyond what I express myself. --Nemo 09:14, 22 May 2014 (UTC)

Hi Nemo, I apologize if I misrepresented your position. I thought that you were advocating for more quantitative performance data from WMF, which I would agree with. Could you help me understand where I misunderstood your thinking? Thanks, --Pine 06:33, 23 May 2014 (UTC)
No I can't, because again that's not what I said. --Nemo 07:26, 23 May 2014 (UTC)

Request for Comment: Evaluation portal redesign previewEdit

Dear Pine - The Learning & Evaluation team at the WMF is currently redesigning the Evaluation portal! Before we take the next steps in the redesign process, we'd really like to hear your thoughts and feedback about the new design. You have been involved in evaluation portal over the last year and can help us design an improved site.

When you have a moment, please visit the link below for screenshots and more information. We'd really like to hear your feedback by July 21 07:00 UTC so we can incorporate your ideas or comments into the design process.

Thank you so much! --EGalvez (WMF) (talk) 20:17, 8 July 2014 (UTC)

Hey Pine! Just wanted to remind you that we'd really appreciate any feedback on this by Monday July 21 7:00UTC. Thanks so much! --EGalvez (WMF) (talk) 23:06, 17 July 2014 (UTC)
EGalvez (WMF) my only comments are that the new design should be simple to navigate and that there should be clear step-by-step guidance for program designers and evaluators about what is expected of them, which would include standardizing reporting. --Pine 04:43, 18 July 2014 (UTC)

Letter petitioning WMF to reverse recent decitionsEdit

The Wikimedia Foundation recently created a new feature, "superprotect" status. The purpose is to prevent pages from being edited by elected administrators -- but permitting WMF staff to edit them. It has been put to use in only one case: to protect the deployment of the Media Viewer software on German Wikipedia, in defiance of a clear decision of that community to disable the feature by default, unless users decide to enable it.

If you oppose these actions, please add your name to this letter. If you know non-Wikimedians who support our vision for the free sharing of knowledge, and would like to add their names to the list, please ask them to sign an identical version of the letter on

I'm notifying you because you participated in one of several relevant discussions. -Pete F (talk) 22:17, 20 August 2014 (UTC)

Re: Interaction data visualizationEdit

Thanks for your work on this Pine! I'm not sure if you were aware of the existence of this page when the proposal page was drafted. It's a bit outdated, but thought it might help. Feel free to drop me or/and Aaron any questions anytime on-wiki or off-wiki, I will be glad to help. Good luck! --HaithamS (WMF) (talk) 18:15, 1 October 2014 (UTC)

you've got mailEdit

regards,--Poupou l'quourouce (talk) 21:01, 7 October 2014 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign surveyEdit

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.

Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:37, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

Follow up from the Process Ideas pageEdit

Hi there, I know you were a big advocate for the Technology committee, and I finally responded on the process ideas page. We can discuss here, or on the Discussion page there. I did want to thank you for the idea though. I hope you're otherwise having a good week. -Rdicerb (WMF) (talk) 23:45, 22 April 2015 (UTC)

@Rdicerb (WMF): thanks for the response. I have a positive first impression of some of the recent Engineering reorganization. I will probably have discussions with the Board and/or Lila about a variety of governance matters in Berlin, but the Technology Committee is no longer at the top of my wish list after these recent changes. I might bring it back depending on how things go from here. Thanks for following up, --Pine 05:48, 24 April 2015 (UTC)

WMCON 2015 BerlinEdit

I'm looking forward to meet in person and share a big pint of beer (or any other bev of your liking) with you and share horrorstories ;-) --DerekvG (talk) 17:40, 28 April 2015 (UTC)

  • Hi DerekvG I look forward to seeing you in Berlin! If you will be present on Wednesday, do let me know so we can meet ahead of the official events that start on Thursday. --Pine 21:55, 2 May 2015 (UTC)
  • I wil, arrive on the 13th around 13:00 hrs
DerekvG I may be on DerHexer's tour when you arrive, but perhaps we can eat after dinner. --Pine 01:04, 6 May 2015 (UTC)

Sunday 17 May 2015 User groups meet up at WMCONEdit

Hi! Today Sunday 17 May 2015 there will be a User Groups meet-up at 14h at room E. If you are interested, please join, the main topics to be discussed is the relationship between WMF and user groups, and diaspora user groups as described on Wikimedia diaspora organisations. If you are interested, please join! Thanks. --Micru (talk) 08:29, 17 May 2015 (UTC)

Hi. I applaud the boldness, but there's no need to re-locate other people's pages in the process of making your own page. --MZMcBride (talk) 06:24, 24 July 2015 (UTC)

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?Edit

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:24, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Hi @I JethroBT (WMF): are you interning for WMF or are you a contractor? --Pine 08:20, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Hey Pine. I'm working as a contractor for the WMF. I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 09:33, 19 August 2015 (UTC)
@I JethroBT (WMF): ok! I like what you and the CR team have done with the grantmaking rework so far. --Pine 18:15, 19 August 2015 (UTC)
Hey thanks, that's great to hear! If you haven't already, feel free to provide your feedback on the survey above, or feel free to swing by the discussion page. (Also, I just started earlier this month; I'm more or less still getting my feet wet.) Take care, I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 19:03, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback!Edit

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:09, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?Edit

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:33, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns resultsEdit

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:55, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Request for post to Asturian Wikipedia's Village pumpEdit

Hello Pine. I have been trying to copy Grants:IEG/Motivational and educational video to introduce Wikimedia/January message to village pumps/ast to Asturian Village Pump as you requested. Unfortunately I have been unable to get an «Edit» link to copy the source code from the page, I have just the «Translate» tab. Can you give me a hint about how can I do it? Thank you. --Oriciu (talk) 04:53, 28 January 2016 (UTC)

Harassment workshopEdit

Greetings! You are receiving this message because, at some point in the past, you have participated in a discussion around the topic of harassment. The Support and Safety team is holding a series of consultations gathering feedback on the best potential solutions to the problem. The next stage is a workshop where we hope to narrow the focus to individual actionable ideas and explore how to bring some of these ideas to life.

Best regards, the Support and Safety team via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:35, 17 February 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & reviewEdit

I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Open Call for Individual Engagement GrantsEdit

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Request for collaborationEdit

Hi Pine,

I'm applying for an IEG for improving the Upload to Commons Android App and had a chat with Marti (WMF) today about my application. She suggested that we talk to you about potentially collaborating on a tutorial that we intend to make as part of our project, to educate new users of our app as to what sort of images they should upload.

Would you be interested in collaborating? Do let me know. :)

Cheers! Misaochan (talk) 15:32, 29 May 2016 (UTC)

Hi Misaochan, I'm glad that you're interested in improving the Commons app for Android. In my current video tutorial project, I already have more ideas for content than I can squeeze into my existing timeline and budget, but it might be possible to adapt the content that I'm planning to create regarding Commons uploads for the purposes of the mobile app, meaning that the amount of time required to create tutorial for the mobile app might be cut in half. I'd suggest that you contact me again in August, when my project will be nearer to the production phase and it will be easier to determine how much of my project that's already planned for Commons could be adapted to the mobile app. I hope that helps! --Pine 16:44, 29 May 2016 (UTC)
Thanks Pine, will contact you in August then. Cheers! Misaochan (talk) 05:59, 30 May 2016 (UTC)
Hi Pine, just checking back in. Any luck? :) Misaochan (talk) 05:43, 4 August 2016 (UTC)
Hi Misaochan, progress on my project has been slow but I believe that the quality will be high. Perhaps it would be helpful to you to look at Grants:IEG/Motivational and educational video to introduce Wikimedia/Scripts where I'm continuing to refine the script outline. I've recently started writing actual script for modules based on the current version of that outline, although I know that the outline needs more work especially on the modules toward the bottom of the page. I definitely feel that some of the tutorial information that I'm planning to create about Commons could be helpful for your project. If it's helpful to you, after I hear back from VGrigas (WMF) and Mjohnson (WMF) about the draft that I just sent them of a different module and get that script up to Victor's standards, I can next focus on developing scripts for the modules that will be the most relevant to Commons so that they are available earlier for you to review and to include in the scope of training materials for your app. --Pine 05:51, 4 August 2016 (UTC)
Thanks Pine, that would be great! We would very much appreciate that. Misaochan (talk) 04:13, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Misaochan would you like to review and provide comments about the scripts that are focused on Commons? If so, I can add you to the list of project collaborators. --Pine 22:35, 15 August 2016 (UTC)
I'm not very experienced re: Commons policies, but if you don't mind that, I'm more than happy to try and help. :) Misaochan (talk) 06:40, 16 August 2016 (UTC)
  • @Misaochan: just wanted to let you know that I'm currently working on writing the scripts. They involve a lot of fine detail so this is taking some time. I'll let you know when there's a batch ready for you to look at. If you have time, you might try walking through them with corresponding on-wiki actions to see if you learn anything new and/or if you find errors in the scripts. Thanks, --Pine 19:07, 29 August 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for the update! No worries, I can work on other tasks in my project first, and get back to the tutorial whenever the scripts are ready. :) And I'd be more than happy to help review them when they are ready. Misaochan (talk) 05:18, 30 August 2016 (UTC)
Hi Pine, just checking in to see how things are going? Cheers! Misaochan (talk) 03:51, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
Hi, Misaochan, things are going slowly but there continues to be movement. This week I'm planning to send out a fairly thorough status update about the project and include a request for comment about the first batch of scripts. I will be placing that update on talk pages, including yours. Thanks for checking in! --Pine 03:56, 19 October 2016 (UTC)
@Misaochan: I have an update almost ready for publication to talk pages. I was starting to publish it yesterday but ran into a problem. I have some other issues to deal with early this week, but hopefully I'll have time to finish the publication in the second half of this week. --Pine 21:45, 24 October 2016 (UTC)
No worries, thanks for keeping me updated! I really appreciate it. :) Misaochan (talk) 02:23, 25 October 2016 (UTC)

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:46, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)




Hi, Pine!

I am thrilled if you can use my words in any way whatsoever. Just glad the problem is being addressed. I will try to follow your progress.

I returned to the article of my recent harassment anecdote, just to see if anything had changed. I believe my edits and their reversions have been deleted from the edit history. I need to check more carefully before jumping to conclusions, so I will do that when next at the library. I almost asked if that were possible. Silly me! This is a virtual community: ANYTHING is possible, if an admin of sufficient clout is available to help. C'est la vie. He has already demonstrated that he can stalk me. I think, though, that he is not an administrator on WikiMEDIA! And, as I have said several times, what can he do? Block me? I almost never edit NOW.

Thanks for what you are trying to do. Rags (talk) 04:25, 5 July 2016 (UTC)


hello! it seems for me that you haven't understood my message on wikimedia-l, so I wanted to clarify:

  1. I believe in using mailing lists when there is a problem/question one wants to solve and needs some feedback/thoughts rather quickly. like Asaf did here in this thread [1]. I do not write much, I read usually, but I can understand that people may prefer mailing lists... but there are also people who are not particularly fond of communicating via emails. and watching a talk page seems a safe way to stay tuned to the discussion
  2. I believe that for mailing lists to be useful, the topic of the thread should be respected... or a new one created. Dariusz here started a thread about New Elections Committee, and then you asked about Board structure/composition. the topic you started is an important one and requires its own thread, I think, so people interested in discussing this matter will read the thread and (if) they have arguments, they may as well go and list them on Meta page here. the reason to have these arguments on a relevant talk page is that this task is not on the table right now. and we are going to talk about it seriously after the governance review (and that process can take months). and people may forget their arguments by that time. or move on. and (probably) not a lot of people would remember to check wikimedia-l for the arguments mentioned in a thread called New Elections Committee...
  3. I believe that it is not okay to receive 9 letters in our email boxes in a thread about Board structure discussing pros and cons of wikimedia-l vs Meta, and in no way related to the Board structure

thank you :) --アンタナナ 23:16, 28 July 2016 (UTC)

p.s. I also "do believe in fairies", but it is another story :) and not for this thread about wikimedia-l --アンタナナ 23:16, 28 July 2016 (UTC)

Hi Antanana,

  1. I realize that some users have a preference of communication tools. It seems to me that most of the time they can co-exist, and in many cases there are parallel discussions on multiple talkpages as well as mailing lists and on social media. I'm unclear on what you mean by "watching a talk page seems a safe way to stay tuned to the discussion", so can you clarify how reading a talk page would be any different than reading an email thread in terms of safety?
  2. I had mixed thoughts about the elections thread. On the one hand, my question is related since it pertains to election of Board seats. On the other hand, the question is likely to be resolved by the Board rather than by the Elections Committee. In hindsight I would have started a separate thread; the question is related but as you say it is significant enough that it should have its own thread with a title that people can more easily identify in the archives.
  3. Here the situation to me is clearer. You made a request in your email to divert a discussion off of a mailing list where the discussion is clearly within the scope of the mailing list. I specifically disagree with the statement "Mailing lists are not very useful for things like that." That is your personal opinion, and while that is OK that you have that opinion, I feel that it was inappropriate for someone in their capacity as a Board member to attempt to divert discussion on the basis of their personal preference. If you had left out the statement "Mailing lists are not very useful for things like that" and instead said "In addition to discussing this subject on the mailing list, I would like to welcome people to post comments on this talk page", and you had also posted links from the talk page back to the discussion on Wikimedia-l, that would have been good from my perspective. Does that make sense?

(I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by fairies. Can you explain?)

Maybe it would be good to set up a Hangout discussion. I'd be glad to meet with you, if you would like.

Thanks, --Pine 02:25, 29 July 2016 (UTC)

  • Antanana just pinging you again about this. I'm glad to have this conversation and I'm hoping that we can come to a mutual understanding. I feel that a brief conversation on Hangouts might be best. If you are worried about your English, I assure that it's fine; your English is better than my Ukrainian. I appreciate the governance review and the efforts that the Board is making, and I would like to have a good working relationship with you. --Pine 06:07, 4 August 2016 (UTC)
    Hello! I am sorry for the delay in response, I was travelling. I'll try to explain:
    1. I hope you can agree that different communication tools can be also more or less useful in some situations. Staying tuned is easier via talk page, than a mailing list. And thus it is safer to keep updated. One does not receive letters every time somebody decides to just thank-you or +1. And one can read the whole discussion (to catch up) or the summary (and that's definitely more complicated to do with emails). So I was talking about safety to have all discussion in one place, easy to find.
    2. Okay, I see :)
    3. I apologize if it sounded stronger than I intended. I didn't mean to not allow people to discuss it via mailing lists or any other channels of communications (well, I even could not think that anybody can interpret it in this way, no board member has authority over this). But I meant that people are welcome to post comments on the talk page. And of course, people reading these discussions via mailing lists can add summary to that talk page, so all relevant arguments are in one place. As you seem to like communicating via mailing lists and read it carefully, could you please add the links to the talk page of the relevant letters in wikimedia-l? It would be a great help for the future discussion about the Board composition --アンタナナ 21:13, 10 August 2016 (UTC)
    P.S. Oh, of course we can talk. About this, if you still do not understand my point. Or about other things :) Though I think I shall be able to schedule a talk only after August 17, 2016 --アンタナナ 21:13, 10 August 2016 (UTC)
  • Hi @Antanana: OK, I think we are understanding each other a little better now. However I am curious about the fairies that you mentioned, so let's schedule a conversation! We probably only need 15 minutes. If that sounds OK to you, then I will email you some suggestions for times that we can meet. --Pine 05:41, 11 August 2016 (UTC)

Survey on Inspire Campaign for addressing harassmentEdit

Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on addressing harassment from June 2016. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating.

Please feel free to let me know on my talk page if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 03:23, 10 September 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)


I'm sorry to hear that you are retiring. I've rarely commentated but I have followed your work, in particular your messages on mailing lists. Kudpung (talk) 01:25, 19 September 2017 (UTC)

Hi Kudpung,
All good things come to an end.
I still like the LearnWiki project, and I still like Catherine Munro's vision for Wikipedia in her poem "This is an Encyclopedia".
I might return in January 2018, or later, or never, depending on circumstances. As Yoda once said, "Always in motion is the future."
I hope that Wikipedia and the sister projects will be healthy and vibrant.
--Pine 02:30, 20 September 2017 (UTC)

Just wishing you all the best for 2018. Kudpung (talk) 04:24, 26 December 2017 (UTC)

  • Thanks Kudpung. I have updated my user page to reflect the reality that I am now more semi-retired than fully retired. I have plans to become more active in 2018, although I'll probably never be as active as I once was until I retire from real-life work. Happy 2018 to you as well. --Pine 07:13, 27 December 2017 (UTC)

Retention and onboarding in 2018/2019Edit

Hi Pine -- I'm Marshall Miller; I'm a product manager on DannyH (WMF)'s team at WMF. Thank you for commenting on the annual plan and for pointing out the LearnWiki project, which I hadn't yet heard about.

Along with others, I'm going to be managing our team's efforts to increase new editor retention through onboarding materials and interactions. We're in the early phases of gathering information, developing hypotheses, and planning research for that effort, without specific plans of action yet set in stone. For instance, one of the major pieces of research we will be drawing on is the New Editor Experiences project, which researched the journeys of new editors in Czech and Korean wikis in 2017.

I would definitely like to learn more about your plans and ideas for LearnWiki. Is this page the right place to start?

Thank you. -- MMiller (WMF) (talk) 22:04, 12 April 2018 (UTC)

Hi MMiller (WMF), that is a good starting point for what I now refer to as Phase 1 of the project that I originally called LearnWiki. There is a considerable amount of material that I produced for Phase 1 that is still relevant and I am intending to move further along in my production pipeline in Phase 2. However, there have also been important changes since Phase 1 was originally conceived, and these are worth keeping in mind as you read through the Phase 1 materials. Also, you might be interested in learning from the problems that became apparent with Phase 1. Here are some thoughts to consider as you read through the materials from Phase 1.
  1. The 2017 WikiText Editor (which I call "NEWT") was moved into Beta. My plan for Phase 2 is to teach the use of NEWT and VE rather than the previous WikiText editor and VE.
  2. After starting Phase 1, I learned by difficult experience that I vastly underestimated the time and budget requirements for the scope of work that I originally had in mind.
  3. I have more advanced web programming skills than I did when I started Phase 1, and I intend to make use of those skills in Phase 2.
  4. In my original planning for Phase 1, I significantly underestimated the importance of having non-video resources available to accompany the videos that were originally in scope.
  5. Wikipedia is a very complex environment, with an enormous number of ways for people to make mistakes, and I personally find it to be very difficult -- I am strongly inclined to use the word "impossible" -- to teach new editors everything that they should know to edit unassisted within 20 minutes. With the benefit of hindsight I am thinking that we should resign ourselves to the thought that advising people that they can start editing with very little training and guidance is a risky idea that is likely to result in newbies making mistakes and being reprimanded or reverted, and also is likely to require precious volunteer time of experienced editors to clean up. With that in mind, I think that a longer period of onboarding, at least as long as The Wikipedia Adventure which in my experience new editors generally complete in 35 to 45 minutes, and with live help available in person or remotely, is highly advisable. (Personally, I benefited significantly from live help on IRC when I was new.) With this in mind, I might have designed the structure of LearnWiki's modules a little bit differently.
  6. I would recommend against attempting to execute a project of this scope and complexity on a rigid schedule, particularly while also working on other complex Wikimedia or non-Wikimedia projects.
  7. Wikimedia's social and technical environments are always in motion, and I underestimated the complexity of hitting a moving target. Examples of changes that developed after the original conception of the LearnWiki project were NEWT, syntax highlighting, ORES filters for watchlists, and Citoid.
  8. In hindsight, after completing the outline of modules, I would have attempted to write and fully produce a very small number of modules as a pilot. This would have allowed me to develop more realistic budget and time projections for the development of future modules. I would continue to produce modules incrementally instead of attempting to produce many modules in a single batch.
  9. I plan to rename the project for Phase 2, partly out of concern of potential trademark disputes with WMF concerning "LearnWiki" as a trademarked name. While I think that the likelihood of WMF and I getting into a trademark dispute regarding the name is low, it is not 0%, and I prefer certainty where I can get it with a reasonable amount of effort, so I plan to use a different name for the project for Phase 2.

I am pinging Mjohnson (WMF) and VGrigas (WMF). They might also have comments that would be good for you to keep in mind as you read through the materials for LearnWiki Phase 1. --Pine 19:32, 13 April 2018 (UTC)

  • Hello WJifar (WMF), I hope that the Rapid Grants pause was successful. I am pringing you here because I would like to invite you to become familiar with the project which I previously called LearnWiki. I currently plan to request Rapid Grants funding to continue the project in modified form and with a more incremental approach. I also would like to invite you to read the conversation that I had above with Marshall, and the conversation that I am having with him on his talk page. This is a complex project with large scope, and as I mentioned I intend to continue the project in a more incremental way. I hope that you can take about 30 minutes to review the project's history. If you have a chance to discuss this project with Marti, I would encourage you to do that as well. I hope to submit a funding request to Rapid Grants in July and/or August, depending on a few issues that I want to resolve before doing more paid work on this project with WMF funds. Thank you for your time, and I am happy to answer questions if you have any before I sumbit a request to Rapid Grants. --Pine 03:20, 2 July 2018 (UTC)
Hello Pine thank you for asking about the pause. I do believe it was a success and I was able to do some long term thinking while clearing my backlog. Thank you also for reaching out on this grant. I will take a look later today and tomorrow and will reach out if I have any questions on Thursday. I'm currently in transit to Wikimania so I might not be able to connect with Marti as easily; however, if I find it necessary I will reach out to her before getting back to you. Best regards, WJifar (WMF) (talk) 14:02, 3 July 2018 (UTC)
  • Hello WJifar (WMF), I hope that you arrived successfully in South Africa. I think that you might like to know that I currently have a small but important backlog of multiple issues to address before I will feel reasonably confortable with requesting WMF funding. My backlog is likely to take me at least another week to reduce to a reasonable level, so I am likely to request a rapid grant during the August application window. --Pine 02:52, 10 July 2018 (UTC)

preserve metadata optionsEdit

hi pine, you said that you know of options how to preserve metadata? if you could add the details you know here please: --ThurnerRupert (talk) 07:13, 6 November 2018 (UTC)

Return to the user page of "Pine/Archive 2".