Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program/Support/Pooja Jadhav
- Wikipedia username
- Pooja Jadhav
- Email (optional)
I am Pooja Jadhav, posting this request as a representative of Vigyan Ashram. It is an organisation working on theme - Development through Education. The methodology adopted is - Learning while Doing. I am working in Vigyan Ashram, Pabal, Dist. Pune (Maharashtra, India) as a Computer Instructor. I am coordinating Wikimedia projects here for the last 1.5 years. We are training girls from rural villages of Pune District. We have introduced Wikipedia editing as a part of the curriculum. We have focused on agriculture, rural technologies and environment related topics. Personally, I have contributed in Wikipedia, Wiki Commons and Wikisource. I have participated in TTT2018 organised by CIS-A2K. I am leading a group of 17 girls from Pabal working on Marathi Wikipedia project. Names of the trainee wiki editors are -Chaitali Kandrup,Rani Thite,Pratiksha Sukre,Priamila Kamble,Mayuri Gurav,Simaran Maniyar,Ashwini Daundkar,Damini Daundkar,Suvarna Salunke,Jayashri Daundkar,Rupali Tambe,Anuja Pokharkar,Monika Talole,Sonali Waghole,Yusra Patel,Kajal Jadhav). We are editing and uploading images collectively after college hours.
- As a group, we have created various articles related to above mentioned focus areas. We have created 7 village articles on Wikipedia. ( Pabal, Varude, Kanersar, khadakwadi, kanhur, vadgaonpir. )
- We have created 294 new articles about Birds and plants on Marathi Wikipedia along with images. See this google doc for list and related links. on Marathi Wikipedia in this category.
- Here, we are Scanning old & rare books as well as re-licensed content donated by authors like Jayant Narlikar. We have scanned 4 copyright free Marathi Books - गणितातल्या गमतीजमती,गणिताच्या सोप्या वाटा,अद्भुत दुनिया व्यवस्थापनाची,व्यवस्थापनाची मुलतत्वे. We upload these books on Internet Archive and then to Commons using tools. After this, we run the program OCR4Wikisource in Python to convert the book in Unicode and bring it to Wikisource. Our work can be seen on Wikimedia Commons at Category:Books in Marathi. We have done OCR of 5 books on Wikisource - अशोक,अस्पृश्य विचार,तर्कशास्त्र,मराठी रंगभूमी ,गाव गाडा.
- We have also trained schools teachers in Introduction to Basic Technology Program (IBT) of Vigyan Ashram in writing Wikipedia articles about their villages and schools.
Accordingly following IBT schools created their wiki pages -
- चिंबळी - https://mr.wikipedia.org/s/3x78
- मोई - https://mr.wikipedia.org/s/3vi4
- निमगावभोगी -https://mr.wikipedia.org/s/3vmg
- केंदूर -https://mr.wikipedia.org/s/3070
- कोहिंडेबु. -https://mr.wikipedia.org/s/3vme
- पाबळ- https://mr.wikipedia.org/s/300s
The following support is requested for Vigyan Ashram organisation, not for individual.
- LCD Projector
- Digital Camera
- Internet data
At present we are using facility of computer laboratory. For regular training purpose, we need dedicated set-up. The set-up comprises of laptop, projector, wifi router, internet data card and digital camera for photos. We are going to use this set-up for outreach trainings in rural areas of Maharashtra. With this set-up we are also planning Wikipedia Readership program for the students. We are approached by libraries and archives for scanning of the books. The team of trainees would be involved in scanning activity. The education system at Vigyan Ashram is hands-on activity and project based. The trainees generate quality content as well as images and videos. To document the project processes, we need digital camera. The above equipment will be the property of Vigyan Ashram. It will be utilised for about 200 students and community members per year in capacity building outreach programs.
- To train various teams on different topics for content generation
- To organize outreach programs for increasing readership of Wikipedia. During this activity, we shall also assess and record the specific demands of the community.
- We shall upload content about old traditions, culture, agricultural practices in villages and village articles.
- At Vigyan Ashram, we are working on various rural technologies. Our plan is to write articles about those technologies as well.
- Our aim is to develop Wikimedia projects not only as knowledge resource, but also as skill transfer repository. For this we shall develop Open Educational Resources.
- We are planning to take up scanning of old reference books, documents in villages and uploading the same on Commons and Wikisource.
Community discussion and endorsementsEdit
Please keep the discussion friendly, and note number of endorsement may not be the only way to assess an application's merit
- Strong support Very useful for the development of Wikimedia project. --Gazal world (talk) 14:09, 7 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support - Great work by her organization! This request will help more than one individual. --AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 04:29, 8 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I am an Administrator on Marathi Wikisource and strongly appreciate the candidate as well it's team for their contribution to MrWs. Hope they get more boost by this movement --Tiven2240 (talk) 08:34, 8 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support - This is where we need to support, perfect fusion of social movement and open source movement. Regards!Sureshkhole (talk) 09:42, 9 February 2018 (UTC)
- Deserving Candidate. Strong Support — Tulsi Bhagat (talk) 03:23, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sankoswal (talk) 12:09, 12 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support 1997kB (talk) 12:24, 13 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 13:05, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support -- Pooja Jadhav has contributed quite a bit to w:mr from an evidently disadvantaged position. A grant of resources to her and her institution will help greatly advance w:mr's and wikimedia's cause. -- अभय नातू (talk) 07:20, 22 February 2018 (UTC); admin, 'crat; w:mr
- Support- Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 17:09, 22 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Sugeesh (talk) 18:03, 26 February 2018 (UTC)