The 2018 steward elections are finished. No further votes will be accepted.
- Languages: ko, en-3
- Personal info: (English)Hi. I’m revi. I started editing in 2013, and have been admin @ Wikidata since Nov 2013, @ Commons since January 2014, and @ Korean Wikipedia since September 2014. I have also been a global renamer since November 2014 and a global rollbacker since January 2015.
I believe my specialized knowledge in Korean and the timezone (I live in KST which is UTC+9 for 365 days a year, so I can cover European and American night times when most of the current Stewards are asleep) will make me a great addition to the Stewards team. Meanwhile, I have to admit that I was not super-active in countervandalism/SWMT in 2017.
As a steward, I would continue my global renaming with more complex procedures (i.e. usurping), and locking/blocking LTAs (examples include this one or this one, both primarily Korean), working with spam blacklists and title blacklists. However, I know I’ll be spending time doing ‘what needs to be done’, which is not necessarily ‘what I’d like to do’, so I believe I will be doing things more than these things.
Full Disclosure: I work for / provide service to the Wikimedia Foundationlink to WMF account userpage, but I do not think my status as WMF staff conflicts with the steward position, as my role as a staff member is “communicating with Korean Wikipedia” which is only involving contributing to Korean Wikipedia, my homewiki under Steward policy. WMF have Support and Safety (SuSa) and Office IT dedicated for handling staff related actions, so they don’t have any reason to ask me to do something for them, but if I am requested to do something for the WMF that is against community’s opinion, I’d quit my job at WMF rather than doing it.WMF SuSa is aware of my SE candidacy, and they are ok with this. I signed confidentiality agreement long ago, and OTRS confidentiality agreement.
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#-revi
- Languages: nl-N, en-3, de-1, fr-1, af-1
- Personal info: (English)I'm a Dutch Wikipedia admin since October 2006 and a Commons admin since 2008. Member of the Dutch OTRS team since 2007. As an OTRS-member and former member of the Arbitration Committee I have experience with confidentiality. I have some more time on my hands for 2018 and would like to pick up another task for the movement, for instance fighting vandalism on small wiki's.
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Ciell
- Languages: en, id-1, jv-1, es-1
- Personal info: (English)I have been an administrator at en.wiki for over 10 years now. I've also been trusted as an OTRS member for several years as well, assisting in some of our more controversial cases to try to work towards a solution. I do not intend to use my entrusted user right to my advantage at any point, as I have never done so on en.wik (regardless of the half-dozen editors I've had to sanction or warn who would attempt to argue otherwise). Outside of Wikimedia, I am currently retired from the en:USAF, where I was entrusted with the highest-level clearance there is (a fact the foundation is aware of) to analyze intelligence, for cyber and nuclear missions. I also was trusted as the battle staff Assistant Director during every nuclear exercise and inspection we had (a position typically filled by a LtCol) during 2009-2010. For my actions I received the the Air Force Achievement Medal, Nuclear Deterrence Operations Medal, Outstanding Unit Award (x2), Good Conduct Medal, Honor Graduate Ribbon, among other awards such as Airman of the Year, Airman of the Quarter, Airman of the Month (x2), Non-Commissioned Officer of the Quarter, and the Chief's Choice award.
Outside of the military I was elected President of a 501(c)3 (a non-governmental organization) with over 2,200 members included. We raised over $40,000 for the local Salvation Army and assisted in schools across the local area to help underprivileged children. The Base commander stated at the end of my annual tenure that I "saved the organization from being shut down". (Words that I didn't even expect to hear... not to brag on myself too much, but I'm supposed to be selling myself here.)
Beyond that, in my civilian life while I was still active duty, I volunteered and became appointed by a Judge to be an "Officer of the Court" in my role as a en:Court Appointed Special Advocate, which I worked at for 3 years, receiving the CASA of the month award at one point. I spent hundreds of hours doing that, and it paid off to see children end up in safe homes, or back with their families when it was healthy to do so.
I could continue to list my qualifications, but I think you all can get the point: many organizations (including the WMF) have entrusted my ability to keep confidential information confidential, and that I won't/haven't abused the authorities given to me. I fully hope this community also extends me this same trust. As I'm running for this position purely because I see a real need for stewards... Too often on IRC or other means of communication, there simply isn't one around to handle sensitive matters. I will take my role very seriously. And I will ensure to act very slowly until I have a handle on the new position fully.Edit: I'm glad for those willing to support my candidacy at all, although I can see this is definitely not going to pass. Some of you were deliberately harsh in your comments here, sadly I find that uncalled for considering I doubt none of us here have not made mistakes in our past, we are all humans regardless of our roles in life. However, I still - as always - take every concern mentioned seriously and attempt to calibrate myself based upon them. This is not a statement of withdrawal however, as I see no reason to when there can always be something new to learn from someone's comment. Everyone knows something you don't after all. Thank you all and good luck to the rest of the candidates! — Coffee // have a cup // 01:25, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Coffee
- Languages: en, de
- Personal info: (English)Hi, I'm Cyberpower678. I didn't initially plan on running for stewardship, but after some words of encouragement, I decided to throw my name into the hat. I am an administrator on the English Wikipedia, as well as a global renamer. While I haven't been very active in global renaming lately, I have been very active developing InternetArchiveBot, and moving to deploy it cross wiki. I've started picking up on my renaming activities, however. My development of IABot and engaging with different language communities have definitely broadened my understanding of different cultures on different language Wikipedias, as well as partially learn new languages. :-)
My activity is mostly on the technical side things, so if elected, I will of course continue work on rename requests, and carry out more complex requests that requires a steward to perform. In addition to that, I will also monitor the requests to globally lock and/or unlock accounts. The rename queue has been getting abused by an LTA. Obviously my steward experience is limited, but I'm not one to hastily push buttons when I'm new to something, and will of course work with other stewards to ensure I don't end up locking everyone. :-)—CYBERPOWER (Chat) 18:52, 28 January 2018 (UTC)
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Cyberpower678
- Languages: en-N, pt-2
- Personal info: (English)Real Name Scott Thomson. Meta Userpage Faendalimas. Wikispecies user page Faendalimas. I have been active on Wikipedia EN and Wikispecies for over 10 years. On Wikispecies I am a Bureaucrat and a CheckUser. On Wikispecies I developed the CheckUser pages I also have managed the active versus inactive admins. This has resulted in my applying on several occasions to Meta for removal of privelages. I spend significant time mediating issues that come up and have also been involved in the Wikipedia Copywrite cleanup, OTRS etc. In the course of my adminstrative activities I have had to go to Stewards on a number of occasions. As a CheckUser I have already signed the confidentiality agreements.
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Faendalimas
- Languages: en-N, fr-2, de-1
- Personal info: (English)User:Green Giant (Meta) and c:User:Green Giant (Commons). I have been active on several Wikimedia wikis on and off for twelve years. There are several gaps in activity, mainly due to work commitments but I am now able to devote more time to volunteering. Currently I have been given the privilege of three trusted permissions. I have been an OTRS volunteer since September 2014 (I have signed the confidentiality agreements), a Commons Administrator since October 2014, and an English Wikiversity Curator since April 2017. The links to check these are on my main userpage. Usually, I try to split my time between Commons, English Wikipedia and English Wikiversity plus some OTRS activities. Some of the crosswiki work I have done in the past or currently do can be viewed on my user subpage at User:Green Giant/Work, including transferring PD or licensed files to Commons from other wikis and trying to fix the summaries of those that cannot go to Commons. Some of my work on Commons itself includes deletion requests, changing permissions for users and some blocking of disruptive users. In particular I try to give such users an opportunity to change their actions by encouraging them to use their talk pages constructively, which I think is often the key to ameliorating vandalism. For anybody who is interested I am and have been a content creator on several wikis including articles on English Wikipedia and images on Commons, but one of my current projects is to improve the coverage of English Law on Wikiversity and Wikibooks.
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Green_Giant
- Languages: ja-N, en-1
- Personal info: (English)Hello, everyone. I'm rxy (formerly known as Hosiryuhosi). This is my second run for steward election (First is 2016).
I joinned to Japanese Wikipedia in 2008, and I'm active sysop at Japanese Wikipedia. In addition to this, I joined to SWMT in 2010, then I appointed as the global-sysop in Dec 2011. However, I resigned that for busy in real world in Oct 2014. After that, I returned at Japanese Wikipedia as temporary sysop for suppressed massive vandalism (log) in Jan 2016. With this, I returned as SWMT member and global sysop too.
In related with SWMT, I am one of the CVN staff, I manage CVNBots and IRC channels. This bots is used in SWMT.
In the last year, I suppressed massive open proxy attacks at Russian wiktionary (History of wikt:ru:MediaWiki:Titleblacklist / block logs). If I had a steward permissions, I can able to global block quickly for those open proxies in this case.Thank you for reading my statement.
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Rxy
- Languages: en-N, de-3, es-3, it-3, fr-3
- Personal info: (English)Hi, I'm There'sNoTime, an English Wikipedia admin, CheckUser and Oversighter. My cross-wiki contributions are a lot less than many other stewards, though I believe that where I lack this specific experience I make up in technical knowledge, communicative skills and my drive to help identify, resolve and prevent harassment and abuse. If elected, I will of course work closely with other stewards to fill in the gaps in my experience, and I am keen to learn.
I was granted both the CheckUser and Oversight permission on the English Wikipedia, so am familiar with the use of both tools. Through my real-world work in healthcare IT, I am appreciative of the strict importance of data privacy, and would apply skills I've learnt there in this role. I've also been a member of OTRS and ACC, where I have gained experience working with both new and experienced editors who need assistance.Ultimately, I'm putting myself forward for consideration in a bid to help counter cross-wiki harassment and abuse, which is a significant problem the Wikimedia projects face, as well as broadening the areas in which I can assist editors. I hope you can put your trust in me.
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#There'sNoTime
- Languages: nl, en-4, fr-1, de-1
- Personal info: (English)Hello everyone,
I'm Wiki13. I'm a native Dutch speaker, but also can contribute in English when needed. Furthermore I can read a bit of French and German. Unfortunately I am not able to have an conversation in those two languages.
I created my account back in 2009 on the Dutch Wikipedia. Four yours later I became administrator there. Not long after that a colleague administrator introduced me to way smaller wiki's at which point I decided I wanted to help them out in any way I can. To do this work more efficiently I am a global rollbacker. Also, to note, I have been global sysop twice. Also I helped with Wikidata when it started, being in the first batch of administrators. I resigned voluntarily from that position after some time.
In terms of the global work I do: I'm mostly busy patrolling small wikis for vandalism and/or spam as part of SWMT. This also includes the occasional LTAs (Long term abuse) I come across. As a steward, I would like to help in several areas like blocking/locking spambots/spammers/LTAs/vandals, user rights, etc (basically any steward request page where I think I can help people). I'm almost daily on IRC too, and if elected, I would plan to also help out with requests made from that medium.If there are any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask me! I'll be happy to answer them. Thanks for your time and consideration. With kind regards, Wiki13 talk 22:55, 26 January 2018 (UTC)
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#Wiki13
- Languages: ar-N, en-4, he-1, es-1
- Personal info: (English)Hello,
My name is Alaa (In Arabic: علاء). I am a native Arabic and near native English speaker. I created my account in October 2010, and I have been active (on a regular basis) since December 2014, so, I am active for over three years now. I am currently a bureaucrat, sysop and checkuser on Arabic Wikipedia, sysop on Wikidata and sysop on Arabic Wikibooks. I serve also as an OTRS member for Arabic queues. On Meta, I hold Global renamer permission since February 2017, and I am an active member of SWMT. I am active almost on all projects that I hold advanced rights in. Over the years, I have made more than 300K edits on Wikimedia wikis. I also run my bot, AlaaBot, on several wikis to do various maintenance tasks. In addition to this, I frequently spend time on various IRC channels, including #cvn-sw, #wikimedia-stewards and #wikimedia-rename.
Moreover, I attended and helped in the organization of many Wikimedia-related events. For example, I helped in the organization of WikiArabia 2017. I am also a member of Wikimedians of the Levant since May 2015. In addition to this, I am one of the members of Arabic Wikipedia's social networking team. That's the team that manages the official accounts of Arabic Wikipedia on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
As a steward, I would like to help with the steward requests backlog. I would like to handle requests on Meta, mostly on SRUC, SRCU, SRGP, SRP and various other maintenance tasks from time to time. I want, also, to use my steward access for fighting crosswiki vandals/spammers. I also believe that, being an Arabic speaker and from the Global South, I will bring linguistic and cultural diversity to the steward team, as there is no currently-active Arabic steward.
As a CheckUser I have already signed the confidentiality agreements.Thank you for your time and consideration and don't hesitate to ask any questions. Best, --Alaa :)..! 15:52, 26 January 2018 (UTC)
- Questions: See Stewards/Elections 2018/Questions#علاء