Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Cantonese
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikivoyage Cantonese|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||yue (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Cantonese||Language name in English|
|Language name||粵文||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9186 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||維基遊埠||"Wikivoyage" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikivoyage||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Wikivoyage talk||"Wikivoyage talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||[[:would be discussed as the project gets created]]||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Hong Kong||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||index, index talk||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
We should open a cantonese wikivogage page, since most of the people in Hong Kong and Macau is also speaking cantonese, creating a cantonese wikivoyage page helps people speaking cantonese become more more easy to write a guide. Additionally that there are 25,049 articles on cantonese wikipedia.
- There are a lot of people speaking Cantonese want to use Cantonese Wikivoyage--Melody33921 (talk) 13:50, 15 August 2013 (UTC)
- That's pretty good. Super Wang (talk) 23:23, 15 August 2013 (UTC)
- Weak oppose: There are over 70 million Cantonese speakers, but there are not many editors in Cantonese Wikipedia and the size of Cantonese Wikipedia is still very small. Before creating other new Cantonese projects, efforts should be concentrated on improving and strengthening Cantonese Wikipedia. Besides, the importance of Wikivoyage Cantonese is not as high as other projects, such as Wiktionary Cantonese.--Yueman (talk) 08:50, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
- I think that we should also look at the needs of the Cantonese speakers. Besides, I think that developing several Cantonese wiki is better since this helps to develop more users to edit Cantonese wikis. Also, I think that all wiki is also the same importance to Wikimedia, they are also wikis that are supported by Wikimedia and there lots of people using Wikivoyage. I hope that we may satisfy the need of the Cantonese speakers. Thank you!--Gabrielchihonglee (talk) 09:48, 17 August 2013 (UTC)
- Why not?燃玉 (talk) 14:24, 18 August 2013 (UTC)
- Support--安可 ‧對話（中文維基百科用戶） 08:32, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
- Support壮大我汉语各语系。--Qa003qa003 (talk) 08:54, 22 August 2013 (UTC)
- SupportIt is helpful for the Cantonese community which is quite large.--William915 (talk) 14:07, 7 September 2013 (UTC)
- Conditional Support, it's just full native community, however please note the zh-yue: should change to yue: per bugzilla:28441. --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 23:49, 6 July 2014 (UTC)
- Support壮大我汉语各语系。--Richard923888 (talk) 09:23, 28 February 2016 (UTC)
- Support. LC (talk) 04:05, 17 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support. Travel guides written in colloquial Cantonese already exist. A Cantonese Wikivoyage makes a good addition to the Wikimedia portfolio. (I'm yue.wikipedia admin, native Cantonese speaker, and globetrotter) Deryck C. 22:19, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
- Support Cantonese is a very popular language since Chinese (Macrolanguage) Wikivoyage already exists. --126.96.36.199
- Support--夢蝶葬花 (talk) 08:23, 16 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support Many Cantonese travel books are published in HK and other Cantonese communities each year. Weblogs and tourism websites are also common. A Canto Wikivoyage will surely be a magnet of Cantonese travellers.--Roy17 (talk) 20:04, 5 May 2018 (UTC)
- Support Rubbish computer (Talk: Contribs) 14:26, 21 October 2019 (UTC)