IRB / manteloj
On freenode, the network which hosts the Wikimedia IRC channels, an IRC hostmask cloak replaces the display of your IP address or host name with a cloak to show your affiliation to one of our projects. For example,
email@example.com could become
alex@wikimedia/AlexZ in several IRC-related messages (
/whois, and various join/part/quit notifications, depending on the client of the person seeing the notification). Many people make use of cloaks because an exposed IP can often be considered sensitive and private information. However, using a cloak will not securely hide your IP and users who are concerned about the visibility of their IP address should use a VPN or bouncer/VPS instead.
Celoj de mantelo
- Verification on IRC: The primary reason to use a cloak is to prove that you are the user on-wiki who you say you are on IRC. For example, jwales'
wikipedia/Jimbo-Walescloak shows that he is who he says he is, as you cannot add a fake cloak onto yourself.
- Community pride: According to Rob Levin, the late founder of freenode, user cloaks are a way to show off your pride as a Wikimedian to those who see you in other IRC channels, and are intended to help build a sense of community.
Homoj kiuj trakti Wikimedia manteloj
- Az1568 (talk) (IRC nick
- Dungodung (talk) (IRC nick
- Fox (talk) (IRC nick
- Snowolf (talk) (IRC nick
All cloaks must conform to the DNS hostname specification as described in RFC 1034 and RFC 1035. They may include upper- and lower-case Latin characters, Arabic numerals and dashes. They may not include spaces or underscores; hyphens should be used instead.
- En februaro 2005, la lingva kodoj en ajnan Wikimedia mantelon jam ne permesis. Ĉiuj manteloj prenos la formon de
project/Username. Nomo konfliktoj estos manipulitaj sur kazo-per-kazo bazo.
- De marto 2006, kontaktoj sidigi manteloj Vikimediaj projektoj krom Vikipedio. Vidu la liston sube, kaj se via projekto ne listigitaj, parolu al kontakto.
Cloaks can be requested by sending a private message via following command:
/msg wmopbot cloak and follow the link in the response given. Please submit only ONE request. Submitting duplicates may cause your request to be rejected.
If you do not have a freenode account, you must set one up first.
Our project cloaks are only issued to users who meet the following criteria:
- User must have a verified e-mail address (throwaway/disposable emails are not acceptable)
- User must have at least 250 edits on Wikimedia projects
- User must have a Wikimedia project account registered for at least three months
- User must not be actively blocked from a project
The requirements are designed to prevent abuse of cloaks around freenode. It is hoped that the vast majority of the time they won't prevent genuine contributors from getting cloaks. In the meantime while waiting to meet these requirements it is pointed out that unaffiliated cloaks can be acquired from freenode staff by asking staff listed on
/stats p. Wikimedia Foundation staff are automatically exempt from the requirements for edit count and account age.
Please note that you will only be contacted by a group contact if there are questions or issues regarding your request. You will otherwise not be notified directly.
You may, however, check the status of your cloak using wmopbot via the following command:
/msg wmopbot cloakstatus - which will return one of the following:
- Pending - Request is submitted and needs to be vetted by a group contact
- Approved - Request was approved by a group contact and they will reach out to freenode staff as soon as possible
- Cloaked - Request was submitted to freenode staff and successfully cloaked
- Rejected - Request was rejected due to not meeting one of the requirements and/or by group contact and/or freenode staff discretion
Aktivigante vian mantelon
Once you get a cloak, you need to identify yourself to NickServ to activate it. Type
/msg nickserv identify <your password> or just put your NickServ password as your server password in your IRC client.
There is normally a few seconds delay between identifying to NickServ and your cloak being set. This can result in the following:
[21:00] » Join: An_IRC_User (~User@126.96.36.199)
[21:00] × Quit: An_IRC_User (~User@188.8.131.52) (Changing host)
[21:00] » Join: An_IRC_User (~User@wikimedia/Example)
This usually happens because the IRC client has been configured to automatically join channels upon a successful connection to the server. You can use SASL to prevent this from happening as SASL allows identifying to NickServ before anything else happens such as automatically joining a channel. See the page on freenode.net for more information.
En la pasinteco, nur Vikipedio manteloj estis proponita; tiuj manteloj prenis la formon de wikipedia / Uzulnomo (vian mantelon estas farita de via on-vikio salutnomon, ne via IRC kromnomo). Uzantoj nun permesitaj peti projekton specifa mantelon (sed ne estas lingvo bazita mantelon) uzante la normalan sistemon.
Manteloj povas (depende de via prefero):
- Ĉu la unua letero de via uzantonomo estu supra aŭ suba kazo
- Estu tute en minusklon
- Enhavas la karakterojn az, AZ, 0-9 kaj streketoj (-).
Aktuale permesitaj manteloj inkluzivas:
- "Cloaks do not effectively hide your IP", freenode knowledgebase
Por uzantoj kiuj partoprenas en multnombraj projektoj aŭ ili aniĝis al la Fondaĵo.
Por MediaWiki desarrolladores kun +2 aliro.