What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
What problem are you trying to solve by doing this project? This problem should be small enough that you expect it to be completely or mostly resolved by the end of this project.
Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
Galleries, Museums, and Libraries in Punjab have an excellent source of rich content of Punjab Culture, architecture and history but but little or no such resources are available online. To establish good relations with Public institutions and establish a level of credibility about Wikipedia and its sister projects, we want to collaborate with important GLAM institutes of North India and initiate Wiki Loves Heritage project.
This project aims to work around the heritage institutes that play important factor for literature and art of ancient and modern India. There is a severe content gap about Gandharan, Pahari, Rajasthani and other ancient Indian art that is not present on Commons or any other internet archive. The history about how architecture of division of India and architecture plans of North India were formed. Currently, there is little or no knowledge source about the important art on Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons. 
Similarly, important Hindi, English, Sanskrit and Punjabi books about Indian art, history, culture and rare medieval literature are missing from Commons and Wikisource. The work of Collaboration, GLAM staff education and active contribution in different Wiki projects (Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata), Art and Literature documentation, and digitization done would be an important milestone for the Wikimedia communities in North India.
In addition to that, to improve participation on Wikimedia Commons in North India region, so along with GLAM Heritage, one of the other motives would be to do awareness campaigns to recruit more volunteers who can become a part of the movement.
What is your solution to this problem?Edit
For the problem you identified in the previous section, briefly describe your how you would like to address this problem.
We recognize that there are many ways to solve a problem. We’d like to understand why you chose this particular solution, and why you think it is worth pursuing.
Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
For the purpose of documenting the important heritage, this project would be aimed at photographing, uploading the artwork and books on Wikimedia Commons and creating the articles about the artifacts and artists from the GLAM institutions. But the most important part will be the endeavor to establish a collaboration and a long lasting relationship from Wiki community with the following institutes will be the part of the GLAM Heritage Project:
- Government Museum & Art Gallery
- Chandigarh Government Archive
- Museum of Architecture
- Natural History Museum
- Municipal Public Library, Patiala
- Chandigarh Museum Library
Prior to this, we are doing a pilot at Municipal Library, Patiala with WiR for educating the staff about the importance of Wikimedia values, practices and taught them via workshop and daily interactions about digitization techniques. And building a Wikisource community that could work on retain in the productive content distributed and digitized by the Municipal Library. To achieve it, the focus of the project would be to make partnerships with important government museums and libraries in Punjab and educate, inform and involve the staff of the institution in contribution of Wikimedia projects and secondly, raise promotion among public about Wikimedia projects and involve them actively in different platforms. And with the experience from this project and partnerships and to facilitate the future partnerships, WiR will create a learning document on forming partnerships with GLAM government Institutes in Indian Subcontinent and ways to get them to collaborate with Wikimedia projects.
What are your goals for this project? Your goals should describe the top two or three benefits that will come out of your project. These should be benefits to the Wikimedia projects or Wikimedia communities. They should not be benefits to you individually. Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
The goals are to form long-lasting partnerships with the following GLAM institutes described in detail along with endeavor for documentation & digitization of their content with different Wiki Programs, ensuring active staff involvement from each heritage institute. Along with the below mentioned individuals, active involvement of new volunteers recruited during the project and active old editors involvement at various level of workshop and event facilitation would be there to support new recruits for effective contribution. The rare books, archives and documented photographs present at these institutes are at risk because of neglect, lack of resources and represent a special historical value for Punjab and India a whole. There are rare artifacts, letters, maps, manuscripts, archives from 13th century to the time of Partition of India, along with important literature of Punjabi such as, Hindi, Sanskrit and Urdu, such as Guru Granth Sahib, Mahan Kosh from the 17th century, etc. There is no presence of the above mentioned content online with scanned layers and the only way to protect these rare Indian art, literature and archives is to digitize and document them and make their content available online via free licenses.
Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery Designed by Le Corbusier, Chandigarh Museum and Art Gallery is the one of the leading museums of North India, it has centuries old collection to modern contemporary art collection. Some of the important collections are, Basholi, Kangra, Rajput and Mughal paintings, Gandhara sculptures, Pahari miniature painting and contemporary Indian art. Although, it is a popular museum, it’s collections has little or no coverage on Commons.
Chandigarh Museum Library Containing a rich repository of books on subject of art, architecture and history of art, one of the most special part Some of the rare collection books from 12th to 19th century are Journals of indian art from eighteenth century, Randhawa and Corbusier journals, old medals and collection books from old Punjab, Karl Khandalavala collection, etc.
Chandigarh Museum Archives Containing the archival records of correspondence on Making of Chandigarh by Late Dr. M.S. Randhawa, renowned connoisseur and patron of art, and the then Chief Commissioner of Chandigarh and renowned architect Le Corbusier. The archives have national and historical importance about how after partition of India, the city was planned and includes, archives, the first drawn maps by Le Corbusier, historical letter from Jawaharlal Nehru before/after partition.
Natural History Museum This place exhibits featuring fossils, model dinosaurs, exquisite hand-embroidered pictures of birds and a diorama with a caveman using an electric torch to illuminate his cave art. The documentation of the museum will be done under Wiki Loves Heritage commons project with photo-walk. The categorization and other metadata will be edited/corrected by volunteers for precise information in events co-ordinated by WiR.
Chandigarh Architecture Museum This museum has collection showcasing important history of Chandigarh’s planning and development, including the abandoned plan of Albert Mayer and the Natural History Museum.
The photowalks will be done for the GLAM institutions under the pilot of Wiki Loves Heritage Project of Wikimedia Commons that we are hoping to later advance on global level with old heritage GLAM Institutes that have important historical cultural content but are have no online presence due to cultural or resource access problem. A Commons workshop would be organized prior the photowalks for this purpose.
Municipal Library Patiala One of the eminent libraries of the 20th centuries, once a famous place inhabited by the research scholars, professors and students in late twentieth century, now it is a decaying library that desperately needs to be saved. Due to shortage of manpower, books are not removed for years from the shelves, as a result of which they are being eaten up by moths and termites. The place where the library is has been declared unfit and would be shut off, thus, making the books in the library history.
With the ongoing work there, we have been able to explore, number of rare books. The challenges that are encountered in this project are unavailability of repository of Punjabi authors that died sixty years ago according to Indian Copyright but were able to find some rare treasures, such as Mahankosh Part 1 and 2 book, Old edition of Guru Granth Sahib, and several first editions of classical Punjabi, Sanskrit and Persian literature.
How will you know if you have met your goals?Edit
For each of your goals, we’d like you to answer the following questions:
- During your project, what will you do to achieve this goal? (These are your outputs.)
- Once your project is over, how will it continue to positively impact the Wikimedia community or projects? (These are your outcomes.)
For each of your answers, think about how you will capture this information. Will you capture it with a survey? With a story? Will you measure it with a number? Remember, if you plan to measure a number, you will need to set a numeric target in your proposal (i.e. 45 people, 10 articles, 100 scanned documents).
Remember to review the tutorial for tips on how to answer this question.
This project would be considered successful if
- At least 6 collaborations with Museums, archive and libraries
- At least 15000 pages of books and archives digitized
- At least
15003000 digitized pages proofread on Wikisource
- At least 300 images of artwork from museums uploaded with appropriate categories
- At least 20 articles uploaded about artists and authors from Museum on the Punjabi and Hindi Wikipedia
- At least 5% of uploaded files used in new or existing articles
Do you have any goals around participation or content?Edit
Are any of your goals related to increasing participation within the Wikimedia movement, or increasing/improving the content on Wikimedia projects? If so, we ask that you look through these three metrics, and include any that are relevant to your project. Please set a numeric target against the metrics, if applicable.
Planned collaborations with 3 government GLAM institutions and continuation in Municipal library, Patiala for digitization and wikisource. Documentation of museums with Wiki Loves Heritage pilot Project Digitization of archives and libraries Wikiverse Commons Conference to explain the artists of Punjab about open licenses, open access, how they work, and why it makes sense to release their content as freely as possible, and basic education about three most important Wikimedia projects - Wikimedia Commons, Wikipedia and Wikidata and their principles. For this, we will be inviting guest presenters expert at Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons project from Indic Wiki communities and around 15 artists who are well known in the industry. This will be co-ordinated by Wikilover90.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- Photo walk with volunteers
- 5 Meetup cum educational training events with GLAM staff
- 2 workshops for Wikimedia Commons, Wikisource, and Wikidata
- Wikiverse Commons Conference - At Least 10-15 notable artists with 3 veteran Wikimedia volunteers speakers and participants co-ordinated by Wikilover90
- Bibliographical data and metadata about museum paintings in Wikidata
- A lasting relationship with the Chandigarh Art & Gallery Government Museum
- Approximate number of new volunteers to be recruited - 15
- Institutes collaboration - 6
- Get new recruited volunteers involved with minimum 30% women participation to improve gender gap in editor demographics
- Documentation of museums and bridge the content gap about history, culture and art via different programs
- Get the content on (Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia) about artists, paintings and sculptures
- A documentary video about Wikimedian-in-Residence experience in India
What will you have done at the end of your project?
- Partnerships and good relations from Punjabi and Hindi Wiki Community with 6 Government GLAM Institutes.
- 1 GLAM workshop, 1 Wikimedia commons workshop & photowalks in Museums, 1 Wikisource workshop, Wikisource and Wikipedia Contests.
- Wikiverse Commons Conference - Around 15 Artists from North India will be invited for the conference along with volunteer team of Wikimedians as guest speakers about Wikimedia and other facilitators of the event.
- List of copyright free Punjabi, Hindi, English and Sanskrit (200) books present in library that is not present on Commons to be created after verification from online archives and directories and consultation with copyright experts. This process would be complicated since information about old Indic authors is not documented online and would involve a lot of research at offline archives and directories.
- Teach GLAM staff to contribute to Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata and teach them scanning techniques and co-ordinate the digitization of 15,000 pages of copyright free books and other sources of different sizes of delicate archives and historical documents, uploaded by staff members with assistance of Wikilover90 from 2 libraries and an archive in two different cities.
- Organize edit-a-thons and contests to get minimum
15003000 digitized pages for copyright free books proofread on Wikisource.
- Upload around 300 art and sculptures images from art gallery and museums via Wiki Loves Heritage project documentation by photowalk events, uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by participating volunteers. This would be part of the capacity building event where we will involve new recruits in assistance with a team of experienced Wikimedians who can help oversee the process of uploading, licensing and categorization as a part of the Wikimedia commons workshop.
- Wikiproject: Sum of all Paintings - Make meta data of 50 paintings and archives on Wikidata.
- 20 articles about art/artists/authors of India from the museum & archive improved/created in Punjabi Wikipedia via organized edit-a-thons and contests.
We will follow up with the participants involved with a dedicated telegram group and a mailing list for this project.
How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. (You can create a table later if needed.) Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||DIY Scanner and connected cameras||Digitization equipment for creating archivist quill scanner||1||1||2500||2500||USD||Cost of DIY Scanner|
|2||Linux Laptop||Linux/Windows laptop to connect with the scanner and post processing||1||1||400||400||USD||Cost of DIY Scanner|
|3||CRI 95, LED Lamps and other Light equipment for scanning, raspberry card||Other supporting equipment required for Digitization||1||1||200||200||USD||Expense of supporting equipment|
|4||Tripod Stand||1||1||100||100||USD||Needed for digitization|
|5||Travel and accommodation||Expenses for another city travel and stay for program work||1||12||58||700||USD||Overhead Cost|
|6||Event Expenses||Events, workshops, stationery, banners, swag, participation t-shirts, merchandize, contests, food for participants, travel, stay, food for volunteers for events:||1||1||1300||1300||USD||Budget for the Wiki events and workshops|
|7||Wikiverse Commons conference||Expense of venue and other expenses||1||1||800||800||USD||Along with venue, the cost would cover travel expenses of the volunteers who facilitate the conference|
|8||Scanning Personnel for Archive in Chandigarh (20 hours/week)||Need additional manpower with skills to help out staff in archive||1||12||167||1800||USD||Minimum wage for scanning worker|
|9||WiR||Monthly expenses and taxes for program manager at WiR||1||12||730||8760||USD||Full time Manager and Resource person for GLAM institute and Wiki community|
|10||Video Documentary||Cost of professional shooting and editing||1||1||100||100||USD||Documentary of experience of WiR in India|
|12||Miscellaneous||Contingency cost (7.5% of total cost)||1||1||1300||1300||USD||Provision for contingency|
How will you let others in your community know about your project? Why are you targeting a specific audience? How will you engage the community you’re aiming to serve at various points during your project? Community input and participation helps make projects successful.
Target: Government GLAM Institute collaboration and building a relation from Wiki Community, GLAM Staff, Punjabi Wikisource community, Kickstart and grow Hindi Wikisource community, Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons project. Our team participation would involve multiple elements:
WiR will be responsible for:
- Liaising between the Wiki community and the government institution to ensure all legalities and licensing requirements are understood by government institution to the agreement.
- Organize meetups and workshops with government staff associated with the institution to promote understanding of Wikimedia projects.
- Build credibility with Punjab Government institutes about Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource project.
- Organize events, Wikimedia commons, wikipedia and Wikisource workshops, proofreading edit-a-thons and contests for the Punjabi and Hindi community.
- Identifying and building a list of books present in these government libraries that are already in the Public Domain. WiR will identify and build a list of authors and their books whose death happened 60 years back. Copyright laws in India and Pakistan will be kept in mind, the time period and place were published along with keeping in mind US Copyright Laws.
- Will need to make a list of directory, starting as pilot list of 200 books after searching and reaching with the online repositories and offline archives. This task becomes hard due to non availability of information about old books, authors and year of publications online.
- Involve the GLAM staff along while digitization to handle and scan the delicate archives and other sources and the identified copyright books of Sanskrit, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi and English books that have importance in literature and culture of Punjab in library and archive.
- Organize various proofreading contests, events and workshop to proofread at least 1500 pages scanned during this project.
- Will also continue working on finding books to be scanned as a layer for 100 texts taken from internet sources Punjabi Wikisource that we still don't yet have a scan.
- Organize and coordinate photo walks and Commons Workshop at Government Arts College.
- Bring Wikimedians on-site to work with staff on content creation and improvements.
- Organize Wikiverse Commons Conference
GLAM Staff: Will be responsible for (scanning by R.V.D.J. Municipal Library staff), uploading books on Commons or Wikisource and Wir will coordinate and oversee the process and teach them how to correctly scan the different variants of sizes of copyright free books, selected prior by Wir with different equipment, the techniques, the lighting, and processing.
Volunteers will be responsible for proofreading, indexing, validation, and Wikisource task, Wikidata items, Wikimedia Commons uploads, facilitation as instructors and speakers in Wiki events
Copyright lawyer and consultants: We have CIS-A2K - Lawyers and Indic Wikisource Advocate for advising for the copyright issues and its challenges in India. They would advise WiR for verification of books and commons licenses for the listing of books.
Experts of Literature and art, Punjabi research scholars will help in the final verification about author and bibliographical data for Public declaration.
Equipment Punjabi Community already have in Patiala: Fujitsu SV600 and Sony SLT A58 Camera that is currently in use at R.V.D.J. Municipal Library Patiala. This equipment will remain in use at the Municipal Library in Patiala city. For the Chandigarh Archive and Museum, we would require DIY Scanner and lightning equipments as the archives, letters and books are of large size that cannot be covered with SV600 scanner.
Please use this section to tell us more about who is working on this project. For each member of the team, please describe any project-related skills, experience, or other background you have that might help contribute to making this idea a success.
Wikilover90: Wikilover90 has been volunteering for Wikimedia Projects since 2014 and is the co-founder of Punjabi Wikimedians User Group, which is first Foundation recognized User Group in India and Wikipedia Asian Month User Group. Some of the major Wiki projects user has contributed for over the years are, Project co-ordinator and Director of Animation movie, ‘Wikipedia Tales - A Trip To Lahore’, for promotion of Punjabi and English Wikipedia on social media, Wiki Loves Food edit-a-thon in partnership with World Heritage Cuisine Summit & Food Festival 2018, established Chandigarh Wiki Club, was in local Organizing Team of Wiki Conference India, organized Wikidata Workshop Chandigarh, Wikipedia Workshop MM Modi College, National Jury in Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program and organizer from Punjabi Wikipedia in Project Tiger, organizing team of Wikipedia Asian Month 2018 and is the Co-ordinator of upcoming international commons contest Wiki Loves Love. In addition to that, Wikilover90 is actively collaborating with Wikimedians from different Affiliates, including Wikimedians of Levant, Wikimedia France, Wikimedia Deutschland, Wikimedia Belgium. In addition to that, Wikilover90 have formed active collaborations with Wikimedians with participation in Wikimania and Wikimedia Conference 2018. Apart from these, have organized many workshops, edit-a-thons and meetups during these past 4 years. Additionally, Wikilover90 has done GLAM collaborations with Rajindra Victoria Diamond Silver Jubilee Municipal Public Library and Panjab Digital Library. Wikilover90 is currently collaborating with different Indic communities for different projects and Heritage GLAM project would take the government partnerships in India and digitization for rare archives and literature to another level and will be project manager for the Heritage GLAM project.
Nitesh Gill - User Nitesh Gill is one of the most active online editors from Punjabi Wikipedia and Punjabi Wikisource. She has completed her (365 Wikidays) WikiYear in Punjabi Wikipedia and is actively involved in the outreach activities for Punjabi Community, such as Wiki Women for Women Wellbeing, Wikipedia Asian Month, etc. She will be volunteering as facilitator and instructor at Outreach events and workshops and would be co-ordinating with the new Wikimedians with follow ups for the project.
ਲਵਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਿੱਧੂ - Lovepreet Singh is currently volunteering for GLAM-Wiki R.V.D.J Municipal Library project as a resource person for offline directories of authors and Professors at Punjabi University, Patiala to facilitate the information about authors. He is doing Masters in Punjabi Literature and would be volunteering for facilitating and indexing scanned books at Punjabi Wikisource.
ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਵਿਰਦੀ - Nishan Singh Virdi is an active contributor for Punjabi Wikisource and has been a levelled participant at community workshops and events and would be volunteering in the project as resource person for Punjabi Wikisource to co-ordinate the Wikisource community for proofreading and integration with the WiR for the content scanned from the R.V.D.J. Municipal Library.
Sushma Sharma - User Sushma Sharma is an active contributor on Hindi Wikipedia, Hindi Wikisource, and Wikidata and have been co-ordinator of Wiki Women for Women Wellbeing, Wikipedia Asian Month from Hindi Community. She would volunteer as resource person from Hindi community and active contributor and facilitator from Hindi Wikisource.
Charan Gill - Charan Gill is one of the most Veteran members of Punjabi Wikimedians User Group and is the top contributor of Punjabi Wikipedia. He is an active participant of various Wikipedia edit-a-thons and contests and have been resource person for collaboration with various educational institutes in Punjab. His immense knowledge about contact persons for Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi Literature would be instrumental in further identifying the list of work by authors that is out of copyright in India and would volunteer as advisor.
KCVelaga - KCVelaga has been contributing to Wikimedia projects since 2014 and has extensively been involved in on-Wiki and outreach activities, also an OTRS member. He is a board member of Wikipedia & Education User Group and a volunteer Coordinator of The Wikipedia Library. He will be assisting in the project as volunteer, specifically for Commons Categorization and Wikiverse Commons Conference.
J ansari - J Ansari is one of the greatest contributing member of Hindi Community and has been working consistently to advance various Wiki Projects for Hindi language. He would be assisting as volunteer and advisor for Hindi Wikisource project.
Jay Prakash - I am the Technical person in MediaWiki. And currently most active technical user in indic community. I would like to join this project as Technical Advicer. My role will provide all type of technical service which make this project work easier.
Diwan Manna - Artist Diwan Manna is one of the most renowned figures and is known for his soulful images and is a pioneer among art photographers in India. He would be facilitating and assisting with invitation of artists for Wikiverse Conference. Diwan Manna is the President (Honorary) Punjab Lalit Kala Akademi, State Academy of Art, Ministry of Culture, Government of Punjab, India.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a Village Pump, talk page, mailing list, etc.--> Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Commons Mailing List
- Punjabi Mailing List
- Heritage GLAM Telegram Group
- Hindi Wikisource TalkPage
- Punjabi Wikipedia VillagePump
- Punjabi Wikisource VillagePump
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- --مصعب (talk) 20:22, 30 November 2018 (UTC)
- ਲਵਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਿੱਧੂ (talk) 00:43, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support -J. Ansari Talk 01:16, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Isaac (talk) 12:43, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support ਪੰਜਾਬ ਵਿਚ ਸਰਕਾਰੀ ਹਿੱਸੇਦਾਰੀ ਅਤੇ ਸਮਰੱਥਾ ਨਿਰਮਾਣ ਲਈ ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰਾਜੈਕਟ ਬਹੁਤ ਲਾਭਦਾਇਕ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ। ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਵਿਰਦੀ (talk) 08:53, 2 December 2018 (UTC)
- Psychoslave (talk) 13:52, 3 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support, because this project appear by the necessities and the current problems in the management of the cultural heritage. Promoting GLAM activities and projects in a network of museums, libraries and another type of institutions could be the first piece to begin a strong movement that even could be diffused by the own institutions to another. This project is specific from India, but it aboard a wide concept: preserve the cultural heritage digitally because the humanity needs to avoid disasters in our cultural heritage. Ivanhercaz | User talk 12:00, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Per Ivanhercaz above. Sannita - not just another it.wiki sysop 09:41, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support-Jayprakash >>> Talk 00:14, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
- Jagseer01 (talk) 07:34, 11 December 2018 (UTC) Strong support
- Benipal hardarshan (talk) 07:41, 11 December 2018 (UTC) Strong support
- Strong support (Mr.Mani Raj Paul (talk) 07:42, 11 December 2018 (UTC))
- Strong support We need such indic projects. Good one. --Tiven2240 (talk) 07:48, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Sushma Sharma (talk) 13:55, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Collaboration with GLAM in India is very much needed. Wikilover90 is a dedicated and experienced contributor, so I am confident about the goals set in the proposal, specially with the latest changes. Yann (talk) 06:41, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Pablísima (talk) 16:44, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Definitely one of the best Indic project initiative. Rajeeb (talk) 07:03, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Sounds like a well planned and useful project. Totally support!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 18:58, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Highly appreciated such Indic events. JogiAsad (talk) 00:25, 20 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Supporting on the grounds of trust in the applicant's ability to deliver the expected outcome. All the best - Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 10:06, 23 January 2019 (UTC)
- Support Kaizenify (talk) 01:07, 28 January 2019 (UTC)