During the last academic year 2018–2019, we organised a several activities such as Wikidata workshop, Wikipedia and MediaWiki Training programs, a photo walk, advanced training sessions, 1lib1ref sessions, and several other edit-a-thons. All our activities can be read in detail at Grants:Project/Rapid/VVIT WikiConnect/Annual Plan (2018–2019)/Report. In the report, we've explained how our activities went last year, impact and goals, and learning. This year will implement those learnings and improve our activities, and also focus on expanding our community. In the previous semester starting from June 2019 to October 2019 with the support of CIS-A2K we organised activities such as Wiki Awareness sessions,Wikidata and teWikisource Training courses, 24hrs Wikidata Datathon during the Independence Day, MediaWiki Training program and photo walk. All these activities can be read in detail at VVIT WikiConnect/Activities/2019-2020.
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
During the past 12 months, we successfully organized consecutive edit-a-thons and other activities under the college level Wikipedia club at Vasireddy Venkatadri Institute of Technology titled VVIT WikiConnect. During the upcoming academic semester starting from November 2019, we plan to organize various activities to:
- Recruit new editors
- Train existing editors on new skills and projects
- Add/improve the content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- As a part of the semester plan we will organize the following activities:
- Wiktionary activity: We will be doing a 1-2 day activity on Wiktionary using the Pronouncify tool. A list of at least 1000 Telugu words which don’t have speech files. 10-15 participants will split the list among themselves and record these words using the above mentioned tool. These will later be linked to respective Wiktionary pages.
- Photo-walk(s): One of the finest ways to increase awareness about a particular location/ period of time/ or the making of a craft/ art-work is to display them either physically or virtually. Photowalk primarily aims at visiting a particular locality which has an availability to digitalize the works/ items belonging to a particular period of time/ steps involved in making some art-work. We can plan this event a day and engage at most 5 volunteers for this event. Capturing photos and videos of historic monuments, art-work, etc are the major outcomes. The outcomes of this Photowalk can help in increasing the content on Wiki projects and can increase the awareness of that particular art-work/ monuments etc.
- Following Photowalks are planned for the coming semester II activities.
- Guntur Museum Photowalk: This will be done at Baudhasree Archaeological Museum, Guntur. The number of participants for this photowalk will be around 4 to 5. The participants will collect basic details for the photographs of the monuments they collected.
- Fort Photowalk: For this Photowalk, Machilipatnam fort and Bellamkonda fort are the chosen destinations. The number of participants for this Photowalk will be around 4 members. Participants will capture images that have encyclopedic value and upload them to commons.
- Monuments Photowalk: During this Photowalk, a group of 5 participants will be taken to either Kadapa district or Kakinada to capture images of monuments missing taken from the list of missing images under Wiki Loves Monuments list.
- MediaWiki Hackathon: This will be a 3 day hackathon based on MediaWiki, where 5 members will be invited from the indian community and the rest from our club. All of the participants will be divided into 5 groups and will work on different tasks. This event will most probably take place in December 2019. Participants may range from 12-15.
- 1Lib1Ref: We have been running 1lib1ref sessions for the past one year in various formats. We would like to host a session with one of the libraries we regularly collaborate with, Annamayya Library. It will be a whole day session focusing the importance of citations, reliability of sources, and the importance of bibliographic. Participants will include librarians, students, and academicians.
- Art and Feminism Edit-a-thon: Though we tried hosting A+F event last year, we were not able to do so due to logistical issues. But this year, this will be planned well in advance and executed. It will include a list an article pre-curated, with women related to India, and articles will be created/expanded on Telugu and English Wikipedia's.
- Wikisource Campaign: A three-day offline campaign as a follow up to the Wikisource Training Course. Participants are from the course from previous semester. There may be 15-17 participants. This campaign may be in the first week of december.
- Wikidata Campaign: An eight-day online campaign as a follow up to the Wikidata Training Course. Participants are from the course and also the active contributors from the club. There may be 20-25 participants. The online campaign may be at the end of December or in the first week of January.
- Project Tiger Edit-a-thons: As part of Project Tiger 2.0, a minimum of 5 full day Edit-a-thons will be conducted to create and improve articles on Telugu Wikipedia with participants count ranging from 20-30. This will be done between mid November 2019 to January 2020.
- Annual Meet: This will be the ending (last) event of the club. All the club members and coordinators will be meeting at place and will discuss about past, present, and future club activities. This will be a one day event from morning till evening. This will be done in mid March of 2020 or ending of April 2020.
- Apart from the above-mentioned activities, the club will have regular weekly/bi-weekly meetups, coordinators' meetings etc.
Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the plan?
- We've the past club coordinators who have been working on Wikimedia project for more than two years now, and they will support the newly elected coordinators to successfully execute the annual plan, and reach our goals. By this rotational leadership, we would like to make the sustainable for years to come. Our coordinators are listed at VVIT WikiConnect/Coordinators. KCVelaga, who led founded this club and led the previous year's annual plan will be passing out from college, he'll be advising the coordinators from time to time, remotely.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- For workshops, we'll attract the participants through college-wide notices, and social media groups. For communication and notifications among members, we have a WhatsApp group and a mailing list vvitwikiconnect archive - options - send.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By the end of the upcoming academic year i.e. April 2020, we'll have a stronger community and the club will thrive towards building and adopting sustainable practices. We've increased our editor base compared to last year, and we will increase it further this time. More numerical targets, we plan to focus on editor retention and bring in diversity and innovation in the activities.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of students to be engaged: 150
- Number of edit-a-thons: 6
- Number of Wikidata campaign: 1
- Number of Wikisource campaign: 1
- Number of MediaWiki Hackathon: 1
- Number of photo-walk(s): 1
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- All the infrastructural support will be provided by the college as an in-kind donation. We will also be taking the support of CIS-A2K, whenever needed, especially when the activity involves external trainers from other states of the country.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|S.No||Description||Amount (INR) per unit||No. of units/iterations||Total amount (INR)||Notes|
|1||Wiktionary activity||₹10,000||1||₹10,000||For Venue, Food and local travel.|
|2||Photo-walk||₹15,000||1||₹15,000||For travel and food|
|3||MediaWiki Hackathon||₹35,000||1||₹35,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|4||1Lib1Ref||₹5,000||1||₹5,000||For handouts, snacks etc.|
|5||Art and Feminism edit-a-thon||₹5,000||1||₹5,000||For handouts, snacks etc.|
|6||Equipment purchase||₹3,000||1||₹3,000||Internet hotspot data pack.|
|7||Wikisource Campaign||₹10,000||1||₹10,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|8||Wikidata Campaign||₹10,000||1||₹10,000||For online platform.|
|9||Project Tiger Edit-a-thons||₹5,000||4||₹20,000||For Venue, Food and local travel.|
|₹142,000||US$1997.43 (as of 08:32, 10 October 2019 (UTC))|
|2||Globe Stickers (50 pack)||3|
|3||Wikimedia Project Stickers (14 pack)||3|
|4||Wikipedia Globe Buttons (50 pack)||2|
|5||Wikipedia Pens (5 pack)||3|
- Support Asrija1 (talk) 11:21, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support SuswethaK (talk) 11:45, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Mekala Harika (talk) 11:46, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Naga sai sravanth (talk) 11:48, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Nivas10798 (talk) 11:58, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support MNavya (talk) 11:59, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sri Lekha Pathakamuri (talk) 12:20, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Eswar Prabhat (talk) 12:50, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sreemanognyan (talk) 13:18, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support I'm Irfan (talk) 13:34, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support B leelasai (talk) 14:37, 14 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Good Luck! Best wishes from Nepal. Kind regards, — Tulsi Bhagat (contribs | talk) 10:26, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support A group of hardworking and enthusiastic wikimedians. Trust them totally to pull this off and deliver what is being promised. All the best.-Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 16:13, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Best wishes for your work. --Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 06:49, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 16:35, 17 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Best wishes! - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 11:06, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support During the last year's annual plan, the club has formed a decent editor base and did several activities impacting various Wikimedia projects. With all the learning, I am confident that the existing coordinators will do well with this annual plan as well. KCVelaga (talk) 11:46, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Best wishes! Nawaraj Ghimire (talk)