Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- With a several consecutive edit-a-thons in the earlier months, we've succesfully formed an established a college level Wikipedia club at Vasireddy Venkatadri Institute of Technology titled VVIT WikiConnect. During the upcoming academic year starting from June 2018, we plan to organize various activities to:
- Recruit new editors
- Train existing editors on new skills and projects
- Add/improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- As a part of the annual plan we wish to organize the following activities:
- Wikidata Edit-a-thons: As Wikidata is much easier for the students to understand and contribute to, we plan to organize at least three such edit-a-thon engaging twenty students in each.
- English Wikipedia Training Course: From our previous edit-a-thons, we observed that short edit-a-thons aren't very much effective in terms of editor retention. So we wish to run a training course on English Wikipedia, that'll will spread for about one month, during which the participants will be engaged through both online and offline classes, and upon successful completion, they'll be awarded a certificate. Initially, we'll engage ten to twelve editors in this program.
- MediaWiki Training: At the beginning of the year, we'll conduct a basic training workshop on MediaWiki for 8–10 students. These students will later work on that, and we target to develop at least one tool/bot/script by the end of the year.
- Wikisource Workshop: As of now, we don't have any contributors to Wikisource. So to start off with that project as well, we'll conduct one workshop for English/Telugu Wikisource engaging at least twenty students.
- Photo-walk: We'll organize one photo-walk with four editors at any nearby site of public interest.
- Travel and Participation Support: We'll fund at least three editors to travel and participate at regional and national-level Wikimedia activities.
- Reference Material: We'll support editors who're in need to reference materials such as books, access to journals etc. to improve Wikipedia articles.
- Apart from the above mentioned activities, the club will have regular weekly/bi-weekly meetups, coordinators' meetings etc.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- For workshops, we'll attract the participants through college-wide notices, and social media groups. For communication and notifications among members, we intend to form an IRC channel and a mailing list. We've also appointed club coordinators, who will responsible for executing the annual plan under guidance.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By the end of the upcoming academic year i.e. April 2019, we'll have formed a stronger community in the college, and have a diverse group of contributors. This plan also helps in grooming the leadership of new editors.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of students to be engaged: 75
- Number of Wikidata Edit-a-thons: 3
- Number of English Wikipedia Training Program(s): 1
- Number of MediaWiki Workshop(s): 1
- Number of Wikisource Workshop(s): 1
- Number of Photo-walk(s): 1
- Number of Travel & Participation Supports to be awarded: 3
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- All the infrastructural support will be provided by the college as an in-kind donation.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|S.No||Description||Amount (INR) per unit||No. of units/iterations||Total amount (INR)||Notes|
|1||Wikidata Workshop||₹4,000||3||₹12,000||For handouts, snacks etc.|
|2||English Wikipedia Training Program||₹4,000||1||₹4,000||For handouts, and snacks during physical sessions|
|3||MediaWiki Workshop||₹20,000||1||₹20,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|4||Wikisource Workshop||₹20,000||1||₹20,000||Requires external trainer(s)|
|5||Photo-walk||₹4,000||1||₹4,000||For tickets at various places, and travel|
|6||Travel & Participation Support||₹8,000||3||₹24,000||Funding for the expenses of individual editors to participate in regional/national level workshops/meetups, for example, CIS-A2K/Events/Train the Trainer Program.|
|7||Resource support||—||Variable||₹4,000||For purchase of books|
|8||Equipment purchase||₹12,000||1||₹12,000||Camera to be operated by the Club|
|9||Swag and merchandize||—||Variable||₹2,000||Stickers, pins etc. with Club logo, and general Wikimedia labels and stickers|
|10||Club meetings||—||Variable||₹8,000||Weekly/bi-weekly, coordinators' meetings|
|11||Operating and stationery expenses||—||Variable||₹8,000||Papers, printing, files, communication etc.|
|2||Globe Stickers (50 pack)||4|
|3||Wikimedia Project Stickers (14 pack)||4|
|4||Wikipedia Globe Buttons (50 pack)||2|
|5||Wikipedia Pens (5 pack)||6|
- This seems a great initiative and I fully support it. Great strategy! Wikilover90 (talk) 13:17, 14 April 2018 (UTC)
- A great plan. I completely support the initiative. Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 07:02, 16 April 2018 (UTC)
- Support This is a great plan. I strongly support it. Good luck. Shypoetess (talk) 07:38, 16 April 2018 (UTC)
- Strong Support, this is an interesting project plan. Krishna has been actively working on this education project, and we have seen good improvement here. The plan is well-designed and involve the students into the movement in a better way. The amount requested for a 10-months' program is reasonable in my opinion. I am specially interested in the Wikidata plan(s).
A few suggestions: a) please continue the good documentation work you do, here also, b) connect some of your best editors with the larger Wikimedia community and encourage them participate in some of the global events such as Wiki Love, WAM etc, if possible. Thanks. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 09:30, 25 April 2018 (UTC)