Are you organizing a hackathon? We improved the documentation for hackathon events on mediawiki.org! You can find it on https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Hackathons and its sub-pages, including an improved timeline and handbook for organizers.
This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.
Resources for target groups
Resources for evangelists
A kit for events, large and small.
- events calendar
- press release from local Chapter
- WMF Blog
- swag -- can come from the WMF
- sample featured picture & article -- what does featured content look like
- usb drive with stuff on it?
- stuff to buy: tshirts ?
- A welcome page on Meta to welcome newcomers and give them an gentle introduction to Wikipedia:
Handouts, cheatsheets, etcEdit
- need a .ppt slide template ... for presentations
- and basic presentation resources
People who have organized events, large and small. List yourself!
- svHannibal 11:59, 30 July 2009 (UTC) (two Wikipedia Academies, two other conferences, several workshops, etc)
- Frank Schulenburg (several Wikipedia Academies, several workshops, one exhibition)
- phoebe 18:02, 31 July 2009 (UTC) (4+ Wikimanias, classroom visits, local meetups, Maker Faire)
- Elitre (small local events in Italy)
- Nicole Ebber (several Wikimedia Conferences, Hackathons, Wikipedia Academies, BarCamps, local and international events in DE)
Lists of eventsEdit
- events -- events
- Wikipedia Academy -- Links to past Academies
- en.wp meetup page -- includes meetups all over the world
- w:Wikipedia:Academy -- Description of what a Wikipedia Academy is
Things to considerEdit
- How many IP addresses will there be? Normally only 6 accounts can be registered at one time per IP. See Mass account creation for what to do.
- planning meetings – finding good meeting times, (volunteers mainly work on the weekends; staff don't) (see also IRC guidelines)
- technical support
- room reservations
- Events/Accessibility for advice on increasing participation in your event