Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Bots and gadgets/Fix ListeriaBot memory issues
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Fix ListeriaBot memory issues
- Problem: Since the release of ListeriaBot v2, there is a problem with lists with many links to big entities (for example, links to countries), which make the list generation fail. See some previous discussions: 1, 2. The issue is reported in the official repository: magnusmanske/listeria_rs#66.
- Proposed solution: Fix the issue with loading big external entities, possibly a caching problem.
- Who would benefit: ListeriaBot is used to automatically maintain lists of Wikidata items in various Wikipedias. It is used intensively by Women in Red in various languages, as well as other projects (3,204 lists in English, 1,152 in French).
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: MarioGom (talk) 19:49, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
- I'm afraid this might be out of scope, although I'm not sure. Listeria is a tool by Magnus Manske. If the issue is the tool running low on memory or resources, this should probably be addressed by Toolforge and/or Cloud VPS admins (if it runs there) and ask them to increase the memory quotas. If the issue is with the tool code itself, however, I'm afraid this can only be fixed by Magnus. I note that the repository does not have any license (Issue #80) so contributing patches over there might not be possible or advisable either. CC: MusikAnimal (WMF). Best regards, —MarcoAurelio (talk) 12:27, 11 January 2022 (UTC)
- I haven't done much investigation but I assume we'd be able to help in some way, either assisting the bot operator or building something new from scratch, if we have to. Perhaps a job queue system needs to be introduced, or assuming it lives on Toolforge, maybe this is deserving to move to VPS where we have more memory to work with. Or maybe it's a simple as giving the bot more memory on Toolforge. So while there is a reliance on Magnus Manske, I wouldn't necessarily say this is out of scope, in my view. MusikAnimal (WMF) (talk) 14:27, 11 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Listeria is a really useful tool, it would be great if it was better supported and more reliable. Thanks. Mike Peel (talk) 18:12, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Bluerasberry (talk) 19:53, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support At cswiki we introduced several listeria lists in mainspace. Some of them are not updated because of memory issues, which is pretty embarrassing. Jklamo (talk) 21:19, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support -sasha- (talk) 13:47, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support No problem Thingofme (talk) 14:31, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support This is a key way Women in Red helps participants find topics to work on, so it would be really great especially for newer users if the lists updated reliably. Innisfree987 (talk) 19:13, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support josecurioso ❯❯❯ Tell me! 00:13, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support lists with country statistics are of especial interest as they are tidious to manually update. Tomastvivlaren (talk) 08:31, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Darwin Ahoy! 14:06, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:02, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 05:09, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Suonii180 (talk) 11:46, 9 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ecritures (talk) 22:42, 9 February 2022 (UTC)