Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Mobile and apps/Wikimedia projects automatic reader
Wikimedia projects automatic reader
- Problem: Wikimedia projects contains are until now and exepted with Kiwix mobile app only readable and not audible. However, lisening theses project contain could be very usefull for people from glogal south knowing western langage but unable to read it. It could be also a wonderful opportunity for every body to listen projects contains in public transport or traffic jam.
- Who would benefit: Every user of Wikimedia projects
- Proposed solution: Implement a text to speak engine on the wikimedia projects mobile app.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Lionel Scheepmans ✉ Contact French native speaker, sorry for my dysorthography 20:44, 8 November 2017 (UTC)
- Translations: none yet
- There is already some work in progress (see mw:Wikispeech), though not for some app. --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 15:23, 10 November 2017 (UTC)
- Would be nice to have a "listen" button beside the read button on the desktop version. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 22:09, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for the questions and suggestions! Yes, we do plan to have a "listen" button on Wikipedia.
- Wikispeech works on browser in mobile, but currently not the mobile view and we have not worked to include it in the app. We do however hope to work on that later. We would much appreciate your endorsements here. John Andersson (WMSE) (talk) 11:06, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
Agree with TheDJ for mobile apps its best to use the built in screen readers. Users understand how to use them, they are well supported and most sight impaired users would not know to look for a "special" button or link. However, integrating Wikipeech on web (especially desktop) might be useful. -- JMinor (WMF) (talk) 19:09, 20 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:14, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 22:04, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 05:05, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 10:41, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Sahaquiel9102 (talk) 21:41, 30 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 13:22, 2 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support This is not just for those with vision problems, this is also for those who have limited reading ability. Doc James (talk · contribs · email) 03:08, 5 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support strongly BugWarp (talk) 13:04, 11 December 2017 (UTC)
- Oppose. From my experience people who need this use screen readers, and I am not sure we will develop anything better than already existing solutions — NickK (talk) 17:40, 11 December 2017 (UTC)