Wikimedia LGBT/2019-05-13

This online meetup is open to all members of the LGBT+ User Group, and is intended as an opportunity to discuss shared opportunities, challenges, and issues.

  • Date: Monday, May 13, at 2:00pm EDT / 8:00pm CEST (see timezone calendar here).
  • Live Online Location: Zoom (link is here). Download and install the Zoom player before the meeting for best results.
  • Please help us take rolling notes - Wikimedia LGBT etherpad (that will be transferred to wiki (below) after every meeting)


The Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy will be followed for this meeting.

NotesEdit

>> Please add your agenda item and who will lead the discussion (if possible) <<

  1. Welcome and Introductions (Jeffrey)
  2. LGBT+ Wikimedia Summit report (currently under construction) (Shikeishu)
  3. Movement Strategy Process via Organizational Strategy Liaison update (Shikeishu)
    Thomas / Shikeishu was representative to Wikimedia Summit
    Thomas says, "This was the first time that I felt connected to Wikimedia LGBT+"
    Thomas says that report is coming! Draft in development
    Thomas said that the meetup was important than anything he personally did;
    lots of encouragement to Thomas to secure representation for LGBT+ in the Wikimedia strategy
    topics - Josie / UK's Wikimedian at large, and also development of manual of style
  4. LGBT+ Wiki Manual of Style (Jeffrey)
    Jeffrey introduced this topic by saying there is continual interest in the development of Wikimedia guides for LGBT+ issues in editing and conduct
    WikiJournal Code of Conduct: WikiJournal’s Code of Conduct (and some more): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n4SYJ9pdrfmVSSRuhuyfLInOFQxh7k4y7FRsYcYVGPw/edit?usp=sharing
    Rachel said that she will fork this into the LGBT space for further development and localization in that context
    From Thomas: should the Wikimedia LGBT+ independently create a manual of style and guidelines to share with the broader Wikimedia community?
    Rachel - why don't we take something that is a model and adapt it
    Rachel says that Crystal Steigenburger reports that the Wikimedia Foundation is trying to make something that is all-encompassing
  5. Wiki Loves Pride 2019 (Pharos)
    idea is to run this like a typical photo drive in June
    there will be an event in NYC on 23 June
    Rachel will promote on LGBT+ twitter
    if anyone has anything to propose for LGBT+ distribution, email Rachel
    Richard soliciting ideas for inclusion of health topics
    Start generating list of health articles on Meta page
  6. LGBT+ Wikimedian at large (Josie)
    Josie described the devleopment process, including her soliciting comment over about the past 2 years.
    Now there is a budget proposed - seeking comments especially about this - to what extent does this budget match people's expectations?
    there is still a standing question - is this best in UK versus anywhere else? UK has most organized this and has not identified other interested countries
    Josie is in touch with her colleague Wikimedia chapter chairs
    Josie is in Vienna for EuroPride
    Josie's schedule is to potentially have funding by Wikimania, in 3 months. This could mean a month to propose seriously to chairs' meeting, a month to draft, and a month to get #:funding from the WMF
    support from partner orgs
    Thomas soliciting support from Wikimedia Austria and their director Claudia
    Josie is soliciting support from the "chairs association", a regular meeting of the chairs of the larger Wikimedia organizations.
  7. Affiliate-Selected Board Seats election (RachelWex)
    deadline to vote is 31 May 2019
    non-participants
    Lane Rasberry and Jeffrey are 2 of the 5 election facilitators
    Richard as a candidate
    voting is already open
    Rachel calls for an open discussion about the candidates so that the group can collectively decide a vote
    what should the group's decision making process be?
    already posted to talk page of Wikimedia LGBT+
    ideas - Rachel coordinates selection by receiving suggestions by email, telegram, and various places on wiki
    need multiple communication channels, including public and private. Some people benefit from public discussion, some people will have private comments.
    there was interest in another special meeting the week of the 27th to talk by voice to determine the candidates (separate from June regular meeting)
    the 27th in the UK is a holiday - 28/29/30 preferred
  8. tabled till next meeting
  9. Wikimania 2019 Submission (TBD)
  10. Wikipedia book ethical dilemma (RachelWex)
  11. What are our next steps?

Planning to attendEdit

Actually attendedEdit

  • Lane Rasberry - taking notes
  • RachelWex - with Wiki LGBT+ group, also designated voter for the Affiliate election we are discussing today
  • AJ - librarian and first time joining, hoping to put on Wiki Loves Pride in St Louis
  • Thomas - Austrian, living in Berlin, active in German speaking Wikipedia, organizes social justice project in Europe, representative at Wikimedia Summit and also strategy liaison
  • Jeffrey - mostly in English Wikipedia, contemporary religious movements, with PCORI
  • Josie - will be sharing an update on the Wikimedian at Large project
  • Richard - New York

Previous online meetingsEdit

Post-meeting discussionEdit

For those of you who attended the May meeting, please take a look at the following two surveys to help us determine our next TWO gatherings. Both polls close at noon (EDT) on Friday, May 17:

  • LGBT+ User Group ASBS Election Discussion & Voting - This meeting will be an opportunity for our User Group to discuss the candidates for the Wikimedia Board of Trustees and determine our vote for them. Our votes will be cast by RachelWex.
  • LGBT+ User Group Meeting (June, 2019) - The June, 2019 meeting is next in our monthly series of user group live, online meetings (following our meetings in April and May). The times this month are earlier for those in North America to try to allow for the attendees of Wikipedia for Peace at Europride 2019 in Vienna to be able to attend as a group.

Thank you. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:17, 14 May 2019 (UTC)

Pinging Josie Fraser, Blue Rasberry, Shikeishu, Pharos, Lastchapter, RachelWex to make sure you see these two options. --- FULBERT (talk) 19:20, 14 May 2019 (UTC)

The LGBT+ User Group will meet for their ASBS Board Election discussion and vote with RachelWex on May 29. More information here.