Wikimedians in Residence Exchange Network/minutes 2019 05

This meeting edit

2nd Wednesday of the month at 12 noon New York time.
Wed May 8 12pm – 1pm Eastern Time - New York
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,829633878# US (New York)
+14086380968,,829633878# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 829 633 878
Find your local number:

Attendees edit

  1. Hilary Thorsen
  2. Richard Knipel
  3. Andrew Lih
  4. Lane Rasberry
  5. Esther Jackson

Agenda and notes edit

Items for every meeting
  • etherpad
    • Take notes here during meeting
    • Transfer notes from etherpad to this page after meeting
    • Anyone can take notes and format them here!
  • Note - anyone can add to this agenda or the agenda of any future meeting!
    • At start of meeting, we will move items around
    • Quick items first!
    • Confirm agenda at the start of the meeting!
  • New attendee introductions
    • What do you do as a Wikimedian in Residence?
    • What organizational support do you want?
  • Media featuring Wikimedians in Residence
  • updates
    • Esther - NYBG considering adding Index to American botanical literature to Wikidata. No timeline or specific plans yet.
    • Hilary - two meetings of the Wikidata Interest group in the Linked Data for Production group
      • Hilary Thorsens' Wikidata Affinity Group
      • considering inviting special guests to future meetings
      • meeting again in 2 weeks
      • agenda - present the concept of WikiProjects
  • Time to vote in Affiliate Selected Board seats election
    • consider candidates Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Nominations
    • deliberate merits in this meetup!
    • Voting 8-31 May - Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Voting
    • Lane's recommendations -
      • Lane is an election facilitator - will not participate in decision-making process
      • the group should deliberate
      • in single transferable voting, more information is better - rank as many candidates as the group deliberates
      • encourage everyone to vote, get out the vote to other organizations holding votes
    • Richard currently registered as voter - as he is a candidate, he should pass the vote to someone else
      • Esther volunteers to be designated voter!
      • Richard asks for the group's vote!
      • the group needs deliberation
    • Esther's proposal -
      • organize a video group meetup
      • ask for voting decision by email
      • Esther will email to propose this
  • WREN participation in Wikimedia Foundation Strategy discussions
    • goal - advocate for the environment and conditions which encourage Wikimedian in Residence programs
    • Esther Jackson, Wikimedian in Residence at the New York Botanical Garden, has been coordinating discussion
    • notes
    • We need to get these notes from doc into an on-wiki position document
      • Lane: We could put this in our own space--one page broken into subsections and put link to subsection on appropriate talk page
      • Richard: Esther could put a link on talk pages to a WREN summary document. Do we want to change some of the language in the official strategy?
      • Esther: We could talk about changes to language at next meeting
    • 2nd meeting on May 3rd
      • talked about advocacy, revenue streams, partnerships
      • Esther will be synthesizing to send to Wikimedia Foundation Coordinator
      • Esther will set up another call to talk further
  • Event announcements and reports
    • en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Cannabis/420 Collaboration - April
      • Lane presents the importance of this event to Wikimedia Cascadia
      • 3rd year of commemoration
    • en:Wikipedia:Wiki Loves Pride/2019 - June
      • the Met is hosting an event of general interest to LGBT community in NYC
    • mw:Wikimedia Hackathon 2019 -17 - 19 May, 2019, Prague
      • Andrew Lih presents the proposal from a WREN collaborator -
      • a backend developer wants to match queries to visualization services
      • hot new development - Structured Data on Commons, anticipate queries at the time of collection uploads
      • idea is from quickstatements to Pattipan
      • Announcing the WILDCAT idea - Wikidata Import of Linked Data for Cataloging and Templates
    • Wikimania 14-18 August 2019, Stockholm
      • Andrew is coordinating the GLAM forum
      • requests proposals
      • requests participation
    • Wikidata:WikidataCon 2019 - 25 – 26 October 2019 | Berlin, Germany
  • Wiki LGBT+ + Wikimedia UK
    • Situation: people in geographic proximity historically have had an easier time becoming organized in Wiki governance. Distributed communities, like LGBT+ necessarily is, have to overcome barriers. Wikimedia LGBT+ is considering supporting a grant application by Wikimedia UK to hire an administrative staff person to assist with global wiki LGBT+ administration.
    • notes on April meeting at Wikimedia LGBT User Group April 2019
    • draft of funding request
    • Lane presented the situation - proposed WREN support for grant application and ongoing support for both this case and the model of funded administrative support based in mature Wikimedia chapters to coordinate geographically separated organizations like LGBT+ users