This online meetup is open to all members of the LGBT+ User Group, and is intended as an opportunity to discuss shared opportunities, challenges, and issues.
- Date: Thursday, June 25, at 1:00pm EDT
- See your local time here
- Location: Zoom https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82833697853
Please help us take rolling notes - Wikimedia LGBT etherpad (it will be transferred to wiki (below) after every meeting)
The Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy will be followed for this meeting.
- Welcome, Introductions, and Agenda Review (FULBERT)
- WMF Movement Branding -- Wikimedia LGBT+ response / feedback (RachelWex)
- What we can learn from 15 years of attempts to delete Friends of gays should not be allowed to edit articles or the speedy adoption of a gender neutral "Ombuds" default. (Fæ)
- What the evidence at Talk:Black Lives Matter#Scientific racism can tell us about tackling and identifying systemic "anti-LGBT+ bias" in 300+ languages (Fæ)
- Example Ukranian article on transsexual which relies on a 30 year old article about gender dysphoria to assert that transwomen are 0.003% of the population.
- Branding Project and our User Group vote on it (FULBERT)
Planning to AttendEdit
25 June 2020
People who write LGBT+ articles can get postcards - see more information here
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Pride/2020/Postcards or share information about various Wiki Loves Pride 2020 events here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Pride/2020
Discussion about the survey related to the re-Branding initiative. We can respond to it on an individual survey and also have an affiliate survey.
- this is the individual survey https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9G2dN7P0T7gPqpD
- here is the location for the overall discussion https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_open_letter_on_renaming
- and further ongoing discussion https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project/Community_feedback_and_straw_poll
We discussed laying the options out to our User Group, and Rachel and Nattes will seek to replicate this and send to our user group and then take the majority votes.
Rachel will take some suggestions
Fae discussed how Ombudsman as a term was changed to Ombuds, as an example of gender neutral language
Fae discussed Scientific racism and how the WMF supports equality and fairness, but is not going to enforce these issues. Scientific racism can help us see how many issues related to trans or other sources that may be outdated but sometimes these are not misrepresented. It is something that can be logged as problematic articles for all language Wikipedias. The WMF could help facilitate global policies for logging problems. Creating a Meta page for these lists of these articles (such as scientific racism or outdated sources or alt-right) or behaviors (mentioned by Nattes)
Scientific racism may make for an interesting project.
Links to previous monthly meetingsEdit
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group April 2020
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group March 2020
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group February 2020
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group January 2020
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group December 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group November 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group October 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group September 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group August 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group July 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group June 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group May 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group April 2019