This online meetup is open to all members of the LGBT+ User Group, and is intended as an opportunity to discuss shared opportunities, challenges, and issues.
- Date: Tuesday, February 18, at 1:00pm EST
- See your local time here
- Location: Zoom https://zoom.us/j/495261334
Please help us take rolling notes - Wikimedia LGBT etherpad (that will be transferred to wiki (below) after every meeting)
The Wikimedia Friendly Space Policy will be followed for this meeting.
- Welcome, Introductions, and Agenda Review (FULBERT)
- Queering Wikipedia Conference 2020
- Status of Planning
- Fae: There has been a lot of discussion among all committees planning the conference to do strategic planning, document any lessons learned when someone attempted something and it turned out differently, and also to get more information about the community we have.
- Jeffrey: Any documentation is helpful about what works and what does not work. Perhaps we could include more of these check-ins in 5 minutes at our group meetings, just so that we have records of them.
- Fae: I am on the scholarships committee. The first round of scholarships have been offered. If anyone turns down their scholarship then those will be offered in a second round. The scholarship committee . There were about twice as many people applying for scholarships as expected. This was the first conference so we did not know what to expect, but people had experience with other Wikipedia conferences and the usual number of applicants. Having so many applicants does mean that we are able to be selective. There has been discussion about what kind of events Wikimedia LGBT should have. For example, if we had a Spanish language conference, then that could be useful for many applicants and made the conference more accessible. There has been discussion about the goals of events and what outcomes we should expect of them.
- Fae: I am not part of the program team but I heard their update. The program committee is discussing the program and there is nothing decided. Submissions are closed. One major point of
- Status of Planning
- Movement Strategy & feedback to the Recommendations (FULBERT)
- Jeffrey is one of the liaison for summarizing the recommendations.
- Nicole Ebber sent out an email in the past few days reporting that there is about a week left for sharing comments for strategy
- only feedback which is posted to meta will get processed, organized, and summarized into a report for the board
- there is a group which will meet in NYC in the first week of march to condense the recommendations, mostly Wikimedia Foundation staff in a group of about 10 people, and Jeffrey who lives in NYC will be there
- Lane commented that it is so rushed, 5 weeks to discuss 4 years of discussion. These summary recommendations are so surprising, and this makes it even more important our user group reviews and offers input into the process.
- Wikimedia Summit
- The person which Wikimedia LGBT+ selected for an attendee at this event was unable to get a visa
- How should we respond?
- one option - another selection process
- another option - choose the next eligible content
- It was decided that we should reach out first to the next candidate who offered to attend and was vetted by the User Group at the time and see if that individual can still attend.
- Wiki Loves Pride 2019 wrap up
- no one here to present
- John Cummings presents at Switched on - Sexuality education in the digital space, February 2020 event
- He is presenting Wikimedia LGBT at this event
- question: what engagement should Wikimedia LGBT+ have with general sexual education?
- Lane shared the situation - should we in Wikimedia LGBT+ also take in sexual education as our scope
- Lane shared this new Bollywood movie, which presents sexuality in India - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shubh_Mangal_Zyada_Saavdhan
- context is that there are all sort of relationships in the world, and we could present these in Wikipedia
- Fae talked about Wellcome Trust a few years ago promoting the development of Wikipedia articles on cancer, which had similar regional diversity
- people ask all kinds of questions and this is a popular topic
- gay men have a proficiency in sexual education after having navigated the AIDS crisis and the intense discussion of sex which is related
- people have all kinds of questions about sex and Wikipedia presents a perspective on these
- some issues are common in some communities, like "top surgery", which outside communities and even within our own communities may know little to nothing about
- Scheduling an AGM for the UG?
- issues: should we have membership (potentially needed for some clear, internal voting)?
- should we have more formal status in the Wikimedia Foundation affiliate system?
- should we manage money as an organization?
- Thomas proposed to have the annual group meeting at the Queering Wikipedia conference
Links to previous monthly meetingsEdit
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group January 2020
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group December 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group November 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group October 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group September 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group August 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group July 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group June 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group May 2019
- Wikimedia LGBT User Group April 2019