Wikimedia Foundation elections/2022/Affiliates regional distribution for the Analysis Committee/Latin America Caribbean
This page supports North American affiliate participation in the 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections Analysis Committee. The Movement Strategy and Governance team is available to support this process. Facilitators for this region include Tila and Oscar.
The affiliate organizations voted in this election in July to shortlist six candidates from the candidate pool. Each affiliate organization was allowed one vote. This selection used the Single Transferable Vote method. Affiliate organizations discussed the candidates the affiliate organization wanted to select. Candidates ranked candidates in order of preference.
The Affiliate Representatives were able to ask questions for the candidates to answer. Candidates published answers starting on June 24.
To assist with this selection process, an Analysis Committee was be formed.
Analysis Committee edit
The Analysis Committee was formed from the affiliates during late April and May. The Analysis Committee was planned to be composed of 9 representatives of affiliates (including all chapters, user groups, and thematic groups) from regions across the movement. One each from:
- CEE (Central & Eastern Europe);
- ESEAP (East and Southeast Asia, and the Pacific region);
- Sub-saharan Africa;
- Latin America and the Caribbean;
- MENA (Middle East and North Africa);
- North America (USA and Canada);
- Northern and Western Europe;
- South Asia;
- plus one for thematic affiliates.
There was no representative from the Northern and Western Europe or South Asia.
The Analysis Committee evaluated the candidates against the skills and diversity, equity and inclusion criteria shared by the Board of Trustees. The Analysis Committee used the statements the candidates answered on their application to rate the candidates. The Analysis Committee rated candidates with a gold/silver/bronze framework. This rating was used to provide input to the affiliate organizations when they planned their vote. The details of the evaluation of each candidate will not be shared.
After the six candidates were selected during the affiliate organization voting process, the ratings of each selected candidate were published to inform the community vote. This process aims to find the best balance between sharing useful information and minimizing unnecessary exposure of candidates.
Selected committee members edit
|CEE (Central & Eastern Europe)|
|ESEAP (East, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific)|
|Latin America and the Caribbean|
|MENA (Middle East and North Africa)|
|Western & Northern Europe|
|SAARC (South Asia)|
The Analysis Committee worked from late May to mid-June. Details of their meetings and process can be found on the Analysis Committee Discussions.
The Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee developed a set of evaluation criteria for the Analysis Committee to evaluate candidates against. The Analysis Committee members assessed candidates individually. Only two Movement Strategy and Governance facilitators who supported the process had access to these individual scores.
Procedure for determining the committee member edit
|Each region will appoint 1 committee member in a transparent affiliate selecting process to form a 9 member Analysis Committee.
Similar to a previous regional process, the procedure should be defined by the affiliates in the table below.
This page was created to assist the affiliate coordination and should be edited collaboratively.
Users willing to be an Analysis Committee member edit
List of users willing to be an analysis committee member. Self nominations or nominated by others with nominee accepting.
- Chico Venancio - The role I see as necessary in the analysis committee is to confront the WMF proposed classifications with the needs we have in the region. We need a WMF Board that is committed to decentralizing power in the Wikimedia movement; a strengthening of the Latin American and Caribbean communities, especially to provide predictability in the rules for grants; and to provide support to the communities in the region that can empower them to create groups that can leverage the contributions of volunteers. An important suggestion made during our calls was that the person in this role should listen to the region's leaders and debate the proposed questions. In advance, I commit to hold meetings and make myself available to interested leaders so that we can discuss the criteria presented and possible other decisions of the Analysis committee. Chico Venancio (talk) 17:17, 13 May 2022 (UTC)
- Superzerocool -Hi everyone, I want to volunteer in this election to pre-select all candidates who represent the spirit and values of our movement. In this election we must choose candidates who represent our vision -as affiliates- and how they can help us to reach all people in our region, make the leadership of the movement. In my possible role I want include the vision of all affiliates from the region, trying to hear all comments and choosing our best representatives as we want as region. We can't remain silent in this election, and I want spread our voice in this election, as part of my commitment, choosing the best BoT candidate for our local context, even if we don't have a candidacy. Thanks Superzerocool (talk) 03:33, 16 May 2022 (UTC)
Person chosen by the affiliate edit