Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana
Formerly Active Affiliate
This page is kept for historical interest. It documents a formerly active affiliate group whose recognition has ended.
To find active Wikimedia affiliates throughout the world visit the Affiliates Portal.
Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana is an independent Wikimedia User group which is Officially Recognised by WMF to serve volunteers of the republic of Botswana. This Volunteer group seeks to promote the use of Wikimedia and its sister projects by the residents of Botswana, and to also help in creating awareness on how the everyday Botswana can contribute to the pool of free knowledge, which is Wikimedia; most especially in the translation efforts into the major local languages (Setswana).
|Wikimedia Community |
|Approval date||11 December 2017|
|Official language(s)||Tswana, English|
|Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana|
|YouTube||Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana|
We aim to achieve this by hosting several projects and events such as: edit-a-thons, GLAMs, Wikipedia Education programs and other Wikimedia projects, which aim to promote Wikimedia projects in Botswana and the content of the nation online.
Objectives of Wikimedia Community User Group BotswanaEdit
- We aim to achieve this by hosting several projects and events such as: edit-a-thons, GLAMs, Wikipedia Education programs and other Wikimedia projects, which aim to promote Wikimedia projects in Botswana and the content of the nation online. Mainly to;
- To increase the number of new editors and the retention ratio.
- To promote and increase age and gender diversity content.
- Increase Participation - cultivating sustainable communities of Setswana content creators, librarians to create content about Botswana & Africa both in Setswana and English languages
Missions of Wikimedia (CUG) BotswanaEdit
- Our mission is to promote and create awareness of free and open access to knowledge in Botswana and to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain to disseminate it effectively globally.
If you have a new page or article in mind please use the template belowEdit
Preload Draft TemplateEdit
Once you have done that, use the form below to create a Draft article or select a subject below:
Proposed Activities for Wikimedia (CUG) BotswanaEdit
- Organizing Edit-a-thons for Wikipedia, Wikisource, and Wikidata in Botswana
- Promote editing of Botswana-related content on Wikimedia projects
- Training around Botswana on how to edit Wikimedia projects
- Wikipedia Education Program
- Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana (Facebook page)
- Or Contact
- Candy Khohliwe : (Shoodho)Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oteng Kolobetso: (Kolobetsoo)Email: email@example.com
OR Kindly copy and paste this * ~~~~
Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana in PhotosEdit
Community Dashboard 2022/23Edit
IMPORTANT: join the [Activating Botswana Dashboard]
- Art & Feminism 2023 Award session 5 March
- WikiLoves Africa 2023 (11March) Photowalk and uploading session
- WikiLoves Africa 2023 (18 March) Photowalk and uploading session 2
- WikiGap 2023 (13 May ) Editathon
- WikiGap 2023 (21 May ) Editathon session 2
- Art & Feminism 2023 ( 13 February) Editathon
Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana volunteers organised and participated in projects and events:Edit
Be mobile under the girls in ICT commemoration to engage them in to Wikimedia and its sister project and also to introduce the Wikipedia Zero initiative to avail the use use of free knowledge using mobile phones without any data charges.
Past Events and ProjectsEdit
Wikimedia (CUG) Botswana Projects
Affiliations Committee ResolutionsEdit
- Recognition Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana - Approved December 11, 2017
- The Wikimedia Foundation is offering new kinds of funding for projects, including grants for individuals. Get Involved