Lastest Wikizine on WikinewsEdit
Per my previous posting, I've taken the latest Wikizine and put it on Wikinews . You noted previously that it can still be "Wikizine" as long as I don't muck with the content. All I did was make the formatting more wiki friendly. I'd appreciate if you could take a quick look at let me know if that is ok with you. Thanks. --ShakataGaNai ^_^ 00:53, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
- Hi, yes it is good for me. The point of making a wikizine is to get people to read it. Putting it on Wikinews can help.
- I can not say that it looks very good now on Wikinews from a layout POV. For inspiration see at w:de:Wikipedia:Wikizine , w:es:Wikipedia:Wikizine, w:id:Wikipedia:Wikizine. The last one, from the Indonesian Wikipedia I find looks the best. For the logo see w:en:Wikipedia:Wikizine--Walter 07:50, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
Talk:Wikizine and Talk:Walter :)Edit
Has the topic of licensing come up again recently? I'd like to see wikizine available under a totally unencumbered license - PD or CC-zero. -- sj | help translate |+ 08:48, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
- To keep it at the same place, see Wikizine/feedback --Walter 19:53, 28 May 2009 (UTC)
Wikimedia Australia is hosting Glam-Wiki as part of this WM-au has organised the Wikimedia Australia/GLAM challenge with real prizes. We think both the event and the challenge would be of interest to readers of Wikizine Gnangarra 12:34, 3 July 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks --Walter 19:35, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
Walter, op Wikimedia Belgium pleit je min of meer jullie mooie land op te knippen in Wikimedia Flanders en Wikimedia Walloon. Mij lijkt dat geen recht doen aan de Duitstalige gemeenschap die dan toch evenzeer zou kunnen pleiten voor Wikimedia Eupen. Wat zijn de kansen voor een koepel chapter Wikimedia Belgium met een Afdeling Vlaanderen en een Departement Walloon en een Abteilung Eupen? Dedalus 20:27, 13 August 2009 (UTC)
- Dat is mogelijk in theorie. In praktijk vrees ik dat het niet zal werken. Beter het voorkomen dan het te proberen en vast te moeten stellen dat het niet werkt. Er is vanuit franstalige hoe interesse om een chapter op te richten. Goed, dat ze dat doen. Mijn mening is wel dat ze dat best doen als Wikimedia Wallonie, niet als Wikimedia Belgium. Vooral omdat dit het eventueel oprichten van een Wikimedia Vlaanderen zou kunnen bemoeilijken. --Walter 14:44, 16 August 2009 (UTC)
Notice of review of adminshipEdit
In accordance with Meta:Administrators/Removal and because you have made fewer than ten logged actions over the past six months, your adminship is under review at Meta:Administrators/Removal/October 2009. If you would like to retain your adminship, please sign there before 2009-10-9. Kind regards, —Anonymous DissidentTalk 15:12, 2 October 2009 (UTC)
exit steward WalterEdit
Hi, by this I resign as Steward. I am to inactive and do not wish to ask to overlook that fact again on the upcoming confirmation again. --Walter 18:47, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
- wish you best of luck :) thanks for all your efforts for the project --Mardetanha talk 19:02, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks, --Walter 19:05, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
The "award" section somewhat contradicts the official report; see ref in w:Wikipedia:2009, under October 13. Can you provide your source? w:user:Altenmann 02:45, 16 March 2010 (UTC)
- Never mind; I have found the original source; see w:Wikipedia:2009, under October 13. I suspect you got this info from some pl:wp mirrors. In this case please keep in mind that "Paweł Jochym, a co-founder of pl.wiki, and Prof. Janusz "Ency" Dorożyński" have received a totally different award, in 2005, see w:Wikipedia:2005, so most probably your post got confused in this respect as well, since there was no award received in 2009. Altenmann 03:07, 16 March 2010 (UTC)
- P.S. Your w:User talk:Walter gives the 403 Forbidden and 404 Not Found when clicking " my talk page on Meta". Altenmann 03:10, 16 March 2010 (UTC)
Notice of review of adminshipEdit
In accordance with Meta:Administrators/Removal and because you have made fewer than ten logged actions over the past six months, your adminship is under review at Meta:Administrators/Removal/April 2010. If you would like to retain your adminship, please sign there before 2010-04-11. Kind regards, Ottava Rima (talk) 17:05, 4 April 2010 (UTC)
Notice of removal of adminshipEdit
I regret to inform you that you have been stripped of your administrator access, because you did not indicate your wish to retain it at confirmation page during a week. Thanks for everything you have done, and especially for the Wikizine (will there be new issues?). Kind regards, vvvt 17:41, 11 April 2010 (UTC)
Hi Walter, we are in a bit of a time crunch to get the Dutch translations for the fundraising materials. As you may know, we launch next Monday the 15th – and really don't want to have English pages on Dutch projects.
Could you help us translate the Jimmy Appeal, FAQ, Core Messages and Benefactors page? Here is the translation hub on meta. Please help recruit other translators so we can complete them this week!
Thanks so much, please contact me for anything you may need. --Deniz (WMF) 18:47, 8 November 2010 (UTC)
I want to thank you for your help translating throughout this year's fundraiser. The fundraiser has greatly benefited from all your contributions. Currently, the Kartika, Liliaroja, Abbas and Joan Gomà appeals need to be translated, as we are running appeals from editors. You can find all translation requests at the translation hub on meta and you can follow the progress of the fundraiser in real time by tracking the fundraiser statistics. It is important to check the Core Messages as many languages still need updating. Also if you haven't already, you can subscribe to the translators-l mailing list for all new requests and major changes. Many thanks for your help in truly making this a global fundraiser that you can edit.Klyman 19:51, 7 December 2010 (UTC)
I wanted to personally thank you for your help with Dutch translations during the fundraiser. I appreciate the work you put in, and we couldn't have done it without you. Thanks again - Deniz (WMF) 21:55, 26 January 2011 (UTC)
- Euh...thanks. I was not under the impression I have a done a lot about that. But it is always nice to get a thank you. --Walter 22:17, 26 January 2011 (UTC)
Translator, We need you!Edit
You have helped us in previous years with translations and for that we are most grateful. Now we turn towards the 2011/12 fundraiser. It may seem forever away, but work has already begun getting everything ready to go. This year we want to have landing pages covering as many countries in as many languages as possible.
Right now, we want to figure out who is interested in translating for the fundraiser. This year we're hoping to have more of a solidified "core" group of translators that we can count on to have work done by a few key dates, but we'd also welcome help from people who are willing to just help out when they can.
If you would be interested please take a look at this little sign-up survey and fill it out http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=13638&newtest=Y&lang=en. With that we can start building a list of people and filling any gaps in the languages we serve.
Joseph Seddon (User:Jseddon (WMF))
Jseddon (WMF) 00:40, 9 July 2011 (UTC)
Esperanto Vikimanio in Czech Republic (Oct 26-30)Edit
To celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Esperanto Wikipedia, there will be a Wikimedia conference in Esperanto in the city of Svitavy (Czech Republic) on Oct 26-30.
Conference details in Esperanto: http://www.vikimanio.estranky.cz/ Interview in English: http://www.transparent.com/esperanto/wikipedia-conference-in-esperanto-oct-26-30-2011/
Source: Chuck Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
praise for a GSoC projectEdit
Thought you might want to see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:User_talk:NeilK/Kudos_for_Kevin%27s_ArchiveLinks_extension which is a Wikimedian's praise for an intern's summer project. 126.96.36.199 00:25, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
"try this gadget" publicity?Edit
I have an idea: in a future WikiZine, could you suggest to people, "log into (specific wiki) and go to your user preferences and look at the gadgets available, and try (gadget)"? A lot of people don't know about the useful gadgets that could make their experiences of reading & editing easier, like HotCat. It could be a regular feature. 188.8.131.52 00:27, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- Will do. Can be a "Did you know" item --Walter 18:21, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
Hi, we need your help in completing the (partially complete) Dutch translation for the Second Annual Editor Survey 2011: Research:Wikipedia Editors Survey November 2011/nl We would really appreciate your help. Thank you! Akhanna 21:35, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
New Wikimedia Foundation jobs?Edit
As new jobs become available, I'd love to be able to post them to announce-l.
May I do that?
Warm regards, Gayle Chief Talent and Culture Officer Wikimedia Foundation
- Hi Gayle. Well, Announce-l is the list for Wikizine since 2005. At least after it existed for a few years as a stillborn mailing list. Wikizine, as "An independent internal news bulletin for the members of the Wikimedia community" was never a success in the best of times. Currently it is like a coma-patient. Technically speaking alive. I am still not ready to pull the plug myself even knowing that (trying) to continue with Wikizine is fairly pointless. The support, interest and certainly the reader feedback is nearly zero since years. The list membership of Announce-l is currently 704 (and I am subscribed several times). That is the number of subscribers I had in 2008. It was never more then about 750. So it is a very small list in list number members, the subscribers are old hands. I have no indication that anyone actually reads what is send to that list. So it is not a very interesting list to send stuff to in its current state.
- To answer your question; so long that Wikizine is not formally dead I would like to keep this list reserved exclusively for Wikizine. So I would not like that this list is used to send jobs opening notifications to.
- But ... Announce-l is a WMF-list. I am a guest at this list. So you do not need my permission. Objectively speaking I can understand that the Wikimedia Foundation would wish to reclaim a list with the nice name "Announce-l".
- Greetings, --Walter 21:52, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
- But ...now I think about it... maybe this can be an opportunity for Wikizine. I am against using Announce-l for postings that are not under the Wikizine-flag because the current list members, how few the may be, have not subscribed for that. The have subscribed to Wikizine. Would I / we could do is - I send an notification to Announce-l as Wikizine about that this mailing list will from now on also will be used for job openings notifications and possibly other WMF notifications, besides of Wikizine. And offer the option & instructions to migrate to an other mailing list exclusively for Wikizine for those who wishes to do so. (I do not expect many if any will actually do that)
- New subscribers to Wikizine are presented the option to subscribe to the jointed list or the Wikizine only list. The benefit is Announce-l can be used to send the job openings to and, because that will hopefully draw some new attention and list members, increases the exposure to Wikizine. And maybe, just maybe, can that lead to once more a resurrection of Wikizine.
- --Walter 22:13, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
- Gayle, I think you might mean Wikimedia-announcements-l, which is a different thing entirely. Jay Walsh owns that Philippe (WMF) 23:23, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
Pulling the plugEdit
I've sent you an email, so please check it - but it's about Wikizine. ℳono 01:36, 1 January 2013 (UTC)
Fundraising translation feedbackEdit
I wanted to ask for your help. As you may be aware we have been running banners on many language wikis. We have a lot of new content this year and I really want to conduct a thorough review of our translations. This is a combination of feedback from the community, readers, donors as well as those with professional translator experience. This will help us ensure the highest quality of translations used in our messaging.
To help us out with this I wonder if you would be willing to give us feedback for Dutch using This Link
Simply follow the simple instructions on that page and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my talk page.
Jseddon (WMF) (talk) 18:58, 1 April 2013 (UTC)
Would it be possible to take over the account wikizine? That way we could make sure that the new Wikzine Post will be published on every wikimedia version on its homepage. That way we can distribute it by mail and on the Wikimedia projects self.