I see you are an administrator on als.wikipeida so you can probably appriciate the difficulties of dealing with multiple dialects better than most others. als.wikipeida is like an incubator as well as eventually contributors may want to separate into individual language editions. Consider a scenario were all but one of the dialects got their own language edition and only one of them remain on als.wikipedia. In such a scenario wouldn't it make sense to rename als.wikipedia to the remaining dialect? -- とある白い猫 chi? 14:20, 14 September 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, if at some point we at als. were to decide that the time is ripe for one or several dialects to split off, why not. Swabian would be a hot candidate for that, which someone has even started a request for already. But it should be a community decision. Consider this scenario: a Swabian Wikipedia is approved and created, but some or all of the active Swabian editors on als.wiki prefer to keep writing on the als. project (and my guess is that they would). In that case, should the community at als.wiki be forced to limit their scope? I think not. A similar example is the Serbocroatian Wikipedia (sh.). Even though there are separate Serbian, Croatian, and Bosnian (and perhaps a Montenegrin one some day) language editions, there are still some people who prefer contributing to the common one. --Terfili 16:28, 14 September 2011 (UTC)
- I cannot comment on individual examples you mentioned without spending the time to analyse them (which I may end up doing eventually). I can however tell you that they do not appear to have parallels to the problems concerning ku.wikipedia based on what you told me.
- Consider a situation that there is only one dialect remaining on als.wikipedia and the remaining edition refuses to change its name to refer to the relevant dialect. It could be a problem as then that language will be over-representing the language it is supposed to represent. This is a problem for two reasons. 1) It is confusing to the reader and 2) wikipedia is used to essentially declare a "superior" dialect of that particular language. That is why macrolanguages should only be used if multiple dialects are housed under it. This is more of a problem when there are political issues involved as evident on the ku.wiki proposal discussion.
- While I am a supporter of local community decisions - particularly for content, I also feel that wikis do not have the liberty to act like sovereign countries. We need to have inter-wiki harmony and that is impossible if we don't even have any kind of consistency in language codes. Exceptions can be made when relevant of course. Redundancy hampers Wikipedia's goal of creating a complete encyclopedia of all human knowledge.
- -- とある白い猫 chi? 17:56, 14 September 2011 (UTC)
- Terfili, this is not analogous to the case you mentioned (where some Swabian contributors "stay behind" at als.wp). If there are Sorani contributors still at ku.wp, why are there only 6 Sorani articles at ku.wp? The fact of the matter is, despite the fact that Kurmanji Wikipedians claim that "all dialects are welcome here!", speakers of other Kurdish languages don't actually contribute to their Wikipedia because it is impossible; most non-Kurmanji articles were actually written by Kurmanji speakers to give the appearance that ku.wp includes more than just Kurmanji. The fact is, there are no active contributors at ku.wp with any Kurdish language OTHER than Kurmanji. --Node ue 19:05, 14 September 2011 (UTC)
Hi Terfili, just wanted to let you know that I have added the autopatroll right to your account, as you are a trustworthy user. This feature will have no effect on your editing, and is simply intended to reduce the workload on new page patrollers. For more information on the patroller right, see Meta:Autopatrollers. Feel free to leave me a message if you have any questions. Happy editing! Ruy Pugliesi◥ 17:01, 14 September 2011 (UTC)
A barnstar for you!Edit
Hi! I just want to thank you and give you this barnstar for your help with the translation of the 2011 fundraiser! The fundraiser was the best we ever had, both in terms of the amount we collected and in terms of number of translations. We couldn't have done either one without the help we got from you and other translators. If you are interested, we made a report, which has some statistics about the translations.
And: I have one more request, and that is that you take this survey. You may have got an e-mail about it, and if you did, please ignore this. But if you didn't it would be great if you would take this survey too, so we can learn to improve the translation experience.
Again, thanks for your help with translations – you're awesome! Jon Harald Søby (WMF) 14:32, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
Hola, gràcies a la teva firma donant suport a la nostra associació. El passat dia 5 de juny Amical Wikimedia (Associació Amical Viquipèdia) va ser reconeguda pel Consell d'Administració de la Fundació Wikimedia com a Organització Temàtica. Pots veure el comunicat de l'associació en català aquí o el comunicat de la WMF en anglès aquí. Per a la nostra associació és una fita molt important, portàvem 5 anys demanant ésser un organisme oficial. Nosaltres continuarem la nostra tasca de promoció al carrer i a les institucions de la Viquipèdia i els seus projectes germans arreu dels territoris de parla catalana.
Hello, thanks for your signature giving support to our association. Last 5th of June Amical Wikimedia (Associació Amical Viquipèdia) was recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as a Thematic Organization. You can read the news bulletin of our association in Catalan here or the WMF's bulletin in English here. For our association, this is a very important achievement: we have been pursuing the official recognition for the last 5 years. We are going to continue the task of promoting Wikipedia and its sister projects all around the Catalan-speaking regions.
Dear Terfili, since you are an administrator on a wiki from which no user participated in this discussion, I'd like to make sure you are aware of some recent events which may alter what the Wikimedia Foundation lets you do on your wiki: Superprotect.
- Request for comment: Requests for comment/Superprotect rights
- An open letter about its implementation: Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer
Peteforsyth 09:51, 12 September 2014 (UTC)