Hi Saqib—keen to review, but we've had a raft of applicants in the past year applying very late, after their project starts. In principle I oppose this as undue pressure and faulty process.
- Saqib, BTW, I really want this grant to happen. Sorry that it's become enmeshed in an issue at a critical point in the evolution of GAC. I think I'm going to suggest that we turn a blind eye to this unfortunate retro thing just now—because of the unusual circumstances surrounding it, and because it involves a trivial sum—as long as it's dealt with by the system later. I'm going to ask for a few clarifications and make a few suggestions that you may or may not wish to adopt. I'll try to do it soon. Tony (talk) 13:11, 16 June 2014 (UTC)
The Affiliations Committee is looking for new members. The committee's work requires communication with volunteers all over the World, negotiating skills and cultural sensitivity and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members.
Members are usually selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. The applications will be voted on by the current members not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisers, WMF staff and board liaisons based on the membership criteria. A final decision will be made by the end of October 2014, with new members expected to join on or around 1 November 2014.
Please read the full call for candidates for more information, membership criteria, and details on how to apply.
Chair, Affiliations Committee
Please Read CarefullyEdit
It's best to inform the sender that we need to be CC'ed on the correspondence, otherwise we can't independently verify the permission release. :) In regards to your email I have send a query to the sender, as their permission release is incomplete and needs to specify which version of the creative commons license they wish to use. While a CC-BY-SA request over the phone is valid, it becomes very difficult to enforce if it were challenged. On occasion, users may contact us stating that they wish to revoke their license for an image. To ensure that the appropriate course of action is taken with the image we need to have the proper documentation, especially if the image was challenged via a DMCA take down notice. Mike V • Talk 21:01, 16 January 2015 (UTC)
- Well good. I hope the sender will reply and confirm it. Otherwise please do let me know. For me, it was not easy to get their photos so I hope they reply you too. Next time, I will make sure they send emails CC'd you guys. And whenver any of image that I upload got challenged, I will take care of it and held responsibility if any one said that they never released their photos under CC BY SA. But anyways thats another discussion. --Saqib (talk) 21:06, 16 January 2015 (UTC)
Request for urdu wikivoyageEdit
- عثمان خان شاہ: You'll be blocked soon. You're damaging your crediblity. --Saqib (talk) 21:11, 20 January 2015 (UTC)
Mujhe maaf karlijye naa, Yaqeen kijye yaha kaam karna mera din raat ka masrofiyat hai isliye aap se guzarish hai ke esa kuch na kare mai dubare Wikimedia mai edit nahi karoga.Ok.--عثمان خان شاہ (talk) 21:15, 20 January 2015 (UTC)
Request for Guidance for Urdu WikivoyageEdit
Dear Saqib, I request you to kindly help the incubator project (Urdu Wikivoyage) by getting some inputs/advice from experienced Wikivoyagers of either English project or any other project as suggested by you so that others can prepare for basic groundwork for the project. This input/advice can be done on the project page itself.--Muzammil (talk) 05:52, 27 January 2015 (UTC)
- Muzammil: I think I told you that I won't be able to work on it until March. Please ask interested fellows to join English Wikivoyage and ask for comments. --Saqib (talk) 09:31, 27 January 2015 (UTC)
- Hi, hope you are free now. Else, will appreciate if you could atleast help me to connect with some of the English Wikivoyage people. --Muzammil (talk) 11:39, 24 March 2015 (UTC)
- Please share the link with me. --Muzammil (talk) 17:10, 25 March 2015 (UTC)
Wikimedia user groups are groups of Wikimedia users who support and promote the Wikimedia projects in the offline world by organizing meetups and other projects. The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee's responsibilities include approval of new Wikimedia user groups.
The committee will seek community input until Friday, May 1, 2015. The committee will then review the community's input, and publish the new process and agreements on Meta-Wiki. The committee will again seek community input approximately six months after any changes are adopted to gauge effectiveness and if any additional changes are necessary.
Please see the RFC page on Meta-Wiki for more information and to provide feedback.
Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee
How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?Edit
Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.
After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!
In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:
- Respond to questions on the discussion page of the idea.
- Join a small group conversation.
- Learn more about this consultation.
This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.
Please help expand learning patterns about coordinating successful photo contestsEdit
Hi Saqib, I left a note for you on the talk page of this learning pattern on promoting photo contests. It seems like your team has been very successful in reaching a large number of participants for photo contests, and I know many contest coordinators would benefit from any advice or strategies you could share. Would you be willing to take 30 minutes to help out? Please send me a message if you need clarification. --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 02:05, 27 August 2015 (UTC)
Last call for WMF grants feedback!Edit
Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.
The Wikimedia Affiliations Committee is pleased to introduce the launch of the Wikimedia Affiliates mailing list, which is basically a place for all the affiliates (chapters, thematic organizations, user groups) to discuss issues related to affiliates, make announcements to other affiliates, and collaborate on activities and community-wide events. The idea is to help facilitate the dialogue affiliates across our movement, plus collaborative discussions like community-wide activities, joint edit-a-thons, regional conferences, blog/report posts, or other communications from affiliates.
Each Wikimedia movement affiliate is allocated three spots on the mailing list. All affiliates may contact the Affiliations Committee to request additional spots if needed.
Thank you - Wikimedia Affiliations Committee
The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!
The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.
The committee consists of twelve members, six of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms.
- Key skills
Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We try to get a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members. The key skills and experience that we look for in candidates are:
- Excitement by the challenge of helping to empower groups of volunteers worldwide.
- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliations, and similar questions.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly ~2 hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Very good communication skills in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the WMF.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organising are a plus.
- Effective communication skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.
We are looking for people who are not afraid of the workload and are motivated by helping other volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world.
- Selection process
As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2015 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta (at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/2015), and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.
At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, WMF staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2016, with new members expected to join later that month.
- How to apply
If you are interested in joining the committee, please send an application to email@example.com by 31 December 2015. You will get a confirmation that your application was received.
Your application should include the following:
- Your full name
- Your contact information (including e-mail address and username)
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
Your statement will be published for community review and feedback, so please do not include any information that you are not comfortable sharing.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!
Chair, Affiliations Committee
Inspire Campaign on content curation & reviewEdit
I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.
All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)
Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.
Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,
|Hello, Saqib. Check your email—you've got mail!|
posibility of deletionEdit
Dear Saqib Qayyum,
The images in the below link were deleted from the uploads. can you provide me the reason for the deletion as other images of the same content or themes are uploaded by others. please reconsider uploading the same.
Final Call for Candidates for AffCom - June 2021Edit
This is a final Call for Candidates for the June 2021 Affiliations Committee election.
If you are interested in running, please post your application and follow all four steps on the nomination page by 30 June 2021 23:59 hours UTC.
If you know somebody you think may be interested, please share this with them and encourage them to consider it. If you have any questions about this process or the requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline or reach out to any of the current members.
On behalf of the AffCom elections committee,