Other needs niclude the ability to scan books that have images embedded in the text. I don't know how this is being handled across the web and in libraries, but my current scanning project involves the Whole Earth Catalog, whose pages range from 1 to 5 columns, with images inserted by hand into the layout of each page. +Sj+
Hejsan, ser att du pillat på Leaflet/sv broschyren också samtidigt som mig. Eftersom jag inte orkade reda ut vem av oss som översatt till svengelska var av oss så skrev jag helt enkelt över din version så min bevaras. Hoppas du tycker det är ok att kolla vem av oss som skrivit mest svengelska med denna diff. Jag var för lat för det så valet stod mellan att bara använda den sista delen av min variant och att skriva över ditt. Hoppas det är ok (inget illa menat och om bara någon orkar gå igenom texten så blir den antagligen bättre än bägge våra texter!). TERdON 21:43, 23 September 2005 (UTC)
I very appreciate the idea to put digitized books in commons/wikisource. We should give scans to the Internet Archive for reasons of long-term archiving. Our community here can change its mind day by day and decide in three years that we do not need books like Blitzlexikon here. I am sure you are familiar with the principle of the LOCKS project: LOTS OF COPIES KEEP SAFE. Best, Klaus aka Historiograf --18.104.22.168 15:39, 7 October 2005 (UTC)
- 1 Digitizing books with MediaWiki
- 2 top ten wikipedias
- 3 List of wikis by the compressed database size
- 4 Toolserveraccount
- 5 Translator, We need you!
- 6 Heh
- 7 A barnstar for you!
- 8 WikiWomenCamp/FAQ/Perspectives/Sweden
- 9 Grantmaking Barnstar
- 10 Wiktionary/Table
- 11 Approved submissions for Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2017
- 12 The TWUG on space.wmflabs.org
Digitizing books with MediaWikiEdit
Your work in this field is excellent, and the essay on your talk page is extremely important. This is the best work, in my opinion, that could possibly be done on Wikisource.
Question: What do you think of making your essay "Digitizing books with MediaWiki" into a general project page at Wikisource, where information on the topic could be updated and questions could be asked on the talk page?Dovi 08:58, 11 October 2005 (UTC)
- I have only just begun this digitization. I will accumulate some experience before I continue. --LA2 11:28, 11 October 2005 (UTC)
- Sorry, don't quite understand your answer: "only just begun this digitization"? What I meant was your essay about digitization. As a project page it could be updated as people gain experience.Dovi 15:32, 11 October 2005 (UTC)
- I don't see it as an "essay", only an early sketch of my ideas. Now I'm working in the "playground" section by digitizing two works. When I have more experience from this practical activity, time might be ripe for refactoring my ideas. I would really wish that someone else too would scan a book and make scanned images + OCR text available on Wikisource, perhaps with a different angle than mine, so that our collective experience could be based on more than one line of thinking. This work has just begun. --LA2 05:49, 12 October 2005 (UTC)
- Well, whenever you feel it's ready, we'd love to use it! Remember that even a project page does not have to start off perfect - it can develop and improve over time. And your "early sketch" is really quite good, and reflects a lot more thought and experience than your modest comments suggest :-) Dovi 07:06, 14 October 2005 (UTC)
top ten wikipediasEdit
List of wikis by the compressed database sizeEdit
I think the compressed database size is the best "size" measure for wikis comparison because it 1) shows the amount of independent useful data as far as we can recognize (with use of the best archiver) and 2) can be easily understood. Do you think it would be possible to publish somewhere the table like you introduced on Talk:Top Ten Wikipedias on regular basis. I think, the discussion is good but real measure popularity can be seen when the data is available and people have an ability to watch it. Mashiah Davidson 09:26, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
- Currently I have no ambition to compile such statistics on a regular basis. It would also be difficult because database dumps have not been made available on a regular schedule. Hopefully this situation will improve with new servers during the fall of 2008. I also look forward to improved Wikistats as Erik Zachte is starting to work part time for the Wikimedia Foundation. I think he is best suited to provide stastics. --LA2 15:33, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
please send your real-name, your wikiname, your Freenode-nick (if you have one), your prefered login-name and the public part of your ssh-key to . We plan to create your account soon then. --DaB. 15:32, 5 July 2009 (UTC)
Translator, We need you!Edit
You have helped us in previous years with translations and for that we are most grateful. Now we turn towards the 2011/12 fundraiser. It may seem forever away, but work has already begun getting everything ready to go. This year we want to have landing pages covering as many countries in as many languages as possible.
Right now, we want to figure out who is interested in translating for the fundraiser. This year we're hoping to have more of a solidified "core" group of translators that we can count on to have work done by a few key dates, but we'd also welcome help from people who are willing to just help out when they can.
If you would be interested please take a look at this little sign-up survey and fill it out http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=13638&newtest=Y&lang=en. With that we can start building a list of people and filling any gaps in the languages we serve.
A barnstar for you!Edit
Hi! I just want to thank you and give you this barnstar for your help with the translation of the 2011 fundraiser! The fundraiser was the best we ever had, both in terms of the amount we collected and in terms of number of translations. We couldn't have done either one without the help we got from you and other translators. If you are interested, we made a report, which has some statistics about the translations.
And: I have one more request, and that is that you take this survey. You may have got an e-mail about it, and if you did, please ignore this. But if you didn't it would be great if you would take this survey too, so we can learn to improve the translation experience.
Again, thanks for your help with translations – you're awesome! Jon Harald Søby (WMF) 13:31, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
- Hi Lars,
- Thanks for fixing this for Sweden, I add a couple of thing and wonder if you have female Sweden contributor adding women perspective for Free Knowledge - unfortunately no sample of that (any female perspective from any country) written yet including for Indonesian since according to the list "I" lies in the middle and we start cleaning up the pages (make people upset) from top and bottom and meet in the middle. The plan was to actually print this using coffee book format, get Creative Commons Indonesia to pay it, but when we go country by country turned out it's out of shape and need to be editted. Also, anywomen from Sweden interested to come to Argentina to meet us? Would the SE chaps willing to fund her? * grin * if not, just asking, we're pulling blanket travel request later if there's anyone interested. Let me know. Siska.Doviana 05:26, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
Ah also elaborate Sweden effort? TAO Project? Is that yours? Bookshelf project? is individual or chapter? Thanks. Siska.Doviana
- Uhm, personal request? Can I asked how many traffic percentage going to English Wikipedia from Indonesia and how many going to Indonesian Wikipedia from Indonesia? Erik Zachte told me it was 60 (WP ID) and 40 (WP ID) in 2010, but I need that updated and I couldn't figure out the number * blushed * mathematically challenge and all * grin * Siska.Doviana 06:18, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
- All of this is available at http://stats.wikimedia.org/ if you click Special and then Page views...
- In the country overview, Indonesia has 74M page views per month. Of the country's 231 million inhabitants, it is estimated that only 30 million are Internet users, so this makes 2 page views per Internet user and month.
- In the country breakdown, the country's page views go to Indonesian Wikipedia (45.3%), English Wikipedia (43.7%), Portal (8.4%) and Other languages (2.6%).
- In the language breakdown, visitors to the Indonesian Wikipedia come from Indonesia (92.0%), Malaysia (2.1%), United States (1.6%), Norway (1.5%) and Other countries (2.8%).
- Similar to Sweden, a large portion of users visit the English Wikipedia rather than the one in the local language. But with only 30 out 231 million Indonesians using the Internet, it must be assumed that the remaining 201 million don't speak English as fluently as the first 30 million, and expanding the Indonesian language Wikipedia should be important for these future Internet users. As a comparison, Malaysia has 28 million inhabitants of which 17 million are estimated to be Internet users and they generate 4 page views per Internet user and month.
- TAO is a project of Wikimedia Switzerland (WMCH), not Sweden (WMSE). --LA2 (talk) 22:52, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- All of this is available at http://stats.wikimedia.org/ if you click Special and then Page views...
|Thanks for the thoughtful participation in IEG proposal discussions - hope to have your ideas and input again in round 2! Siko (WMF) (talk) 20:50, 2 April 2013 (UTC)|
Hi. I don't mean to bother, but I was wondering if it would be ok for to paste this into Wiktionary/Table or if I should wait for you to do it. Thanks in advance for your help, --Edgefield (talk) 05:43, 1 June 2013 (UTC)
Approved submissions for Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2017Edit
On behalf of the Programme Committee of the Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2017, I am pleased to inform you that your submission The rise and fall of bot-created articles in Swedish Wikipedia, a short summary with focus on articles about geographic places in Central and Eastern Europe and Parallel corpora based on Wikisource to support foreign language contributions in Wiktionary were approved for presentation and were included in the event programme. Please take your time to review the schedule, as there might be some slight differences between the available timeslots allocated for your talks, and the durations you requested. Thank you for your participation, and see you in Warsaw. :) Bests, →Spiritia 19:22, 25 August 2017 (UTC)
The TWUG on space.wmflabs.orgEdit
A few months ago, WMF opened a new discussion space. Since our user group has some difficulties to communicate (not everyone sees the messages that are posted on Talk:Wiktionary/Tremendous_Wiktionary_User_Group), I asked for a dedicated forum for the TWUG to be opened. It's happening here (there is no topic so far).