Gamammiyar Ka'idojin aiki/2021 shawarwari
|The Wikimedia Foundation will be hosting round-table discussions for Wikimedians to talk together about how to enforce the Universal Code of Conduct on 12 June 2021.|
The goal of these consultations is to help outline clear enforcement pathways for a drafting committee to design proposals for a comprehensive community review later this year. The proposals may integrate with existing processes or additional pathways that may be suggested. These consultations will complement the feedback already gathered throughout the UCoC project. For more information about the UCoC project, see the Universal Code of Conduct overview.
Broad global participatory input is needed in these consultations so the Universal Code of Conduct and its application makes sense for the many Wikimedia communities.
Purpose of the consultation
Every Wikimedia community has different needs and structures. During this consultation, feedback from individual communities about those needs and structures will be gathered and organized to support the work of the Universal Code of Conduct Phase 2 drafting committee. The task of this committee is to outline clear enforcement pathways and create proposals for a comprehensive community review later this year.
Feedback from Wikimedia communities has been gathered throughout the UCoC project. Phase 2 of the UCoC project began in February 2021 with targeted outreach to certain Wikimedia communities. For example, local language consultations asked for input from 11 targeted communities. Affiliate consultations are ongoing, and a consultation of Wikimedia Functionaries is planned for 10–11 April.
This consultation aims to collect feedback on Phase 2 of the UCoC project from all Wikimedia communities, especially those that have not yet provided feedback on Phase 2 of the project. The goal of these consultations is to help outline clear enforcement pathways for a drafting committee to design proposals for a comprehensive community review later this year. If you have already submitted feedback, feel free to continue the conversation, but do not feel it necessary to repeat again if you have already submitted the feedback in other Phase 2 conversations.
In response to feedback, enforcement pathways could harmonize with existing practice or help support new pathways for resolution. We are hoping to hear from experienced users, as well as users new to the project who are not as familiar with how to resolve conflicts or report issues, and also from users familiar with how other global platforms approach these challenges. We want to support good conversations where everyone can share perspectives and learn from others.
Global conversations are being organized on many Wikimedia projects in multiple languages. Individual communities are invited to open a discussion in that project's language or context. Each community should ask a trusted user or group of users to submit a representative impartial summary, in English if possible. If a community has no English translator available, the summary can be submitted in any language and the project team will make efforts to obtain translation.
You can choose your preferred language and way of participation. A team of facilitators is watching multiple channels and organizing feedback from various communities and groups. Participants can discuss at any of the discussions already started on individual projects, at Meta, or by starting discussions on projects using the questions provided. Facilitators are available to help with the organization process.
- How can the effectiveness of anti-harassment efforts be measured?
- What actions can be taken and what structures should be available to support those being targeted by harassment and those that respond to conduct issues?
- What formal or informal support networks are available for contributors? What is necessary for these groups to function well, and what challenges are there to overcome?
- What additional opportunities are there to deliver effective support for contributors? What would be useful in supporting communities, contributors, targets of harassment, and responders?
- How can reporting pathways be improved for targets of harassment? What types of changes would make it more or less challenging for users to submit appropriate reports?
- What is the best way to ensure safe and proper handling of incidents involving i) vulnerable people; ii) serious harassment; or iii) threats of violence?
- In your experience, what are effective ways to respond to those who engage in behaviours that may be considered harassment?
- In what ways should reporting pathways provide for mediation, reform, or guidance about acceptable behaviours?
- Making reporting easier will likely increase the number of reports: in what ways can the management of reports be improved?
- What type of additional resources would be helpful in identifying and addressing harassment and other conduct issues?
- Are there human, technical, training, or knowledge-based resources the Foundation could provide to assist volunteers in this area?
- How should incidents be dealt with that take place beyond the Wikimedia projects but are related to them, such as in-person or online meetings?
- In what ways should reports be handled to increase confidence from affected users that issues will be addressed responsibly and appropriately?
- What appeal process should be in place if participants want to request a review of actions taken or not taken?
- When private reporting options are used, how should the duty to protect the privacy and sense of safety of reporters be balanced with the need for transparency and accountability?
- What privacy controls should be in place for data tracking in a reporting system used to log cross-wiki or persistent abusers?
- How should issues be handled where there is no adequate local body to respond, for example, allegations against administrators or functionary groups?
- In the past, the global movement has identified projects that are struggling with neutrality and conduct issues: in what ways could a safe and fair review be conducted in these situations?
- How would a global dispute resolution body work with your community?
Ongoing conversations are listed below. If there is no discussion started yet for your community, you can create one by copying questions from Discussion subpage to a page on a local project. Please note the text may require translation. Once ready, invite users to participate and include a link to the page below. For assistance, post to the talk page in any language.
After starting a discussion on a local project, add the discussion below:
|Project name||Local discussion link||Notes|
|Global / Meta-Wiki||m:Talk:Universal Code of Conduct/2021 consultations/Discussion||post to the talk page in any language|
|Russian Wikinews||n:ru:Викиновости:Форум/Общий#Консультации по Универсальному кодексу поведения|
|English Wikipedia||w:en:Wikipedia:Universal Code of Conduct/2021 consultation|
|Russian Wikipedia||w:ru:Википедия:Опросы/Консультация по правоприменению Универсального кодекса поведения (2021)|
|Portuguese Wikipedia||pt:Wikipédia:Esplanada/geral/Código Universal de Conduta (6mai2021)|