The following discussion is closed: continue conversation at Wikimedia_Forum#Users'_physical_security,_real_concern_or_just_WMF_media_advertising?
The WMF seems to have assumed some users concerns about the safety and health of Iranian users as a joke. For the sake of public awareness, the families of a number of those killed in November's events in Iran intend to sue the Foundation for providing a safe space for the organized dissemination of misleading information, as well as using Wikipedia to defame dissidents (living or dead).
On the other hand, some of the older users of Persian Wikipedia (8 to now) are filing a completely different complaint so that the ruling band of Persian Wikipedia will not be able to stop any dissident and independent users. In fact, "physical removal" is a common word among sysops in the gang. I know that threatening the law is forbidden, and I reiterate that it is forbidden for us to die, be tortured, and be displaced anymore! @Base, Trijnstel, Matiia, Jyothis, and Green Giant: Your irresponsible and negligent comments do not last forever without compromising the lives, health and freedom of users. Now the true dimensions and the number and depth of the presence of the Islamic regime's interests in Persian Wikipedia are better known. The strategy of the Foundation has considered the security, safety and health of the users the most important principle, and so I intend to make it clear that any user who compromises events by simply neglecting and compromising the physical and mental health of my compatriots in Iran will be strongly pursued. I'm willing to leave the continents behind for this matter, if some fail to remove me physically. I had to change my username for my own safety, but no matter who the callers are, they promise to repeat it. I have disclosed my phone number to less than 5 people, how is it in the hands of unknown threatening people?
It is time for the foundation to test its will to protect its users and ideals.Unknownfauser (talk) 06:49, 6 March 2020 (UTC)
- (This was probably meant for the Wikimedia Forum.)
- I'm sorry to hear your phone number ended up in the wrong hands. Sadly, the possible sources one would need to check are innumerable: leaks of phone numbers from apps happen all the time, although we get to know only of the bigger ones like Google and Twitter. As a first line of defense, libre Android developers suggest to use a free software contact book like opencontacts to start with. However, this only helps if all your friends and contacts do the same.
- There is a lot more we could do to improve our users' (cyber)security, frankly. On the simple side of the spectrum, WMF could help get a Farsi translation of https://ssd.eff.org/ and other similar resources by friendly and competent groups like FSF, La Quadrature du Net and Freedom of the Press, then make sure it's distributed to all users. On the hardest side, we could try to distribute freedom-certified hardware to the most active and at-risk users. A middle way might involve in-person training with technical help to assess and fix one's devices. Nemo 07:30, 6 March 2020 (UTC)
- I am going to assume that you are referring to the confirmation comments I made for Mardetanha. As I mentioned in the comment, I totally understand the situation that exists in the country. What I have been trying to do is to separate the the country level problems with what the individual volunteer is bringing to the table. The confirmation process was for reviewing to see if the person is still fit to do the job. In my experience, Mardetanha has been proactive is protecting him self and his access to the tools. If we have evidence to prove that he breached the community's trust, we would be happy to review and correct our stands. I hold no ego or prejudice in the matter and would be happy to help in any way I can. Just for clarity, Stewards group is not directly part of foundation itself. We all are volunteers just like you who spends time supporting our awesome band of heroes who generate the free knowledge base for the world to use. This used to be foundation appointed volunteers back in the days and that is no longer the case. I would humbly request to spare the allegation on WMF in that topic. From my previous experience, WMF do care. --Jyothis (talk) 02:15, 13 March 2020 (UTC)
Since Babel is for Meta specifically, I recommend that all comments go to this thread: Wikimedia_Forum#Users'_physical_security,_real_concern_or_just_WMF_media_advertising?. Please don't post the same thing to two places. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 02:21, 13 March 2020 (UTC)\
- Apologies. I posted here first and then realized it was on the other side. :) --Jyothis (talk) 03:04, 13 March 2020 (UTC)