Learning patterns/Using 'Share a fact' to engage social media followers of small Wikipedias
Share a fact is a feature on Wikimedia apps that allows sharing text extract from Wikipedia articles. It is available on both Android and iOS, where users can highlight text from within articles, and share it with a background of the lead image. Share a fact feature helps in sharing a particular fact from the Wikipedia article and it act as a fact card or images overlaid with whatever text you choose from an article
Share a fact is a feature available in Wikipedia mobile apps, It allows the user to share any fact from Wikipedia article directly into social media accounts. It create tweets in such a manner that it consist of an image overlaid with the text the user wants to share , a suitable message or information you want to add into the tweet and a link of the particular article. It can help the moderator of the social media accounts of Wikimedia projects to engage their followers, create awareness about your language Wikipedia and bring new readers for your language Wikipedia. The short information in the image and the link might attract new readers toward the project.
This feature can be very helpful:
- for the Wikipedian in Residence , where they can showcase a particular information or image they got from their project.
- for Editathon organisers where every day they can share about the articles that were created in the Editathon.
- for the moderators of social media accounts of different Wikimedia projects, where they can share one share a fact image daily in their social media accounts.
- During any trending topics over social media platforms or local events.
Things to considerEdit
When to useEdit
From last six month we're using Share an Image or Share a Fact; on Odia Wikipedia's twitter account. We use these while any trending topics on social media, which creates more retweets and engages followers with Odia Wikipedia account.
- Simply I love it. We (Macedonian Wikipedia) have several social media accounts, main one have more than 38.000 on Facebook, but this is great, combining photo with little text, directly from Wikipedia app and directly from your phone. Although I have a little problems sharing this fact from my account on Facebook, this feature make my day :) Ehrlich91 (talk) 18:38, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
- Sounds like a very good way to attract attention to the smaller wikipedias. --Kritzolina (talk) 20:38, 13 October 2016 (UTC)
- Clean, fast, and beautiful way to share Wikipedia articles. I'll start sharing the articles I make with this tool! Allan Aguilar (talk) 23:37, 3 November 2016 (UTC)
- Mourya Biswas (talk) 14:56, 19 February 2017 (UTC)
- Sounds very good. Since the question of promoting a small Wikipedia is also on my mind, this might work for me. Unfortunately, I have yet to download the Wikipedia app on my cluttered and clogged mobile. Maybe if there is a desktop version (of the Wikipedia app), it would help too..... Fredericknoronha (talk) 04:52, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
- cool Dorajagannath8 (talk) 04:53, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
- I loved this idea and have started using it the very moment I got to know about it. A nice and engrossing way of promoting Wiki Dr. Manavpreet Kaur (talk) 04:57, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
- Essential feature. Should definitely be promoted. DiptanshuTalk 05:20, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
- This is a really cool feature. Thanks for sharing it with us. Satdeep Gill (talk) 09:17, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
- Good one --Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 09:31, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
- Good one to spread awareness about Wikipedia. Regards, KCVelaga (talk — mail) 10:08, 26 July 2018 (UTC)
- I am a fan of this feature. Every time the Twitter community celebrates an event, we try to use this feature and promote the Wikipedia article about the same event. We have seen that resulting more views on the respective Wikipedia articles, and sometimes some of the users edit the articles as well. --Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 15:02, 26 July 2018 (UTC)
- @Saileshpat: I loved this! But i couldn't use this with my Android device :( Is is still available for Android? Basak (talk) 12:36, 25 November 2020 (UTC)
- THATS LIFE..Renjie Quia 18.104.22.168 06:57, 20 June 2021 (UTC)