This page is kept for historical interest. Any policies mentioned may be obsolete. If you want to revive the topic, you can use the talk page or start a discussion on the community forum.
As Wikimedia grows, we will require additional funding that is beyond the scope of individual contributions. This will require us to send out grant proposals to various organizations naming specific projects and detailing how any funding they offer us will be used.
To do this, we will need the following:
- A list of specific projects that we want to get off the ground (most foundations are hesitant to provide "start-up" funds. They want to support something more specific).
- A list of foundations that might support these specific projects.
- Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. This will include a comprehensive budget, detailed descriptions of the Wikimedia foundation and the specific projects for which we are requesting funding, information on the primary stakeholders (yes, it is all of us, but they need specific names to work with), etc.
- Addresses and phone numbers for them to contact to verify our work and enter into negotiations with us.
- People authorized to speak on behalf of the project (we don't want random people saying "I represent Wikipedia. Give me $10,000," only to have them running off with the money).
Wikimedia Grants websiteEdit
Members of the grants department may take part in discussions on the private Wikimedia Grants website. If you would like to apply for access to this, please do so on this page.
- I request access to the private grants section. I am the president and co-founder of an educational nonprofit / National Educational Network, Inc. (headquarters is in New Jersey) I helped to bring in about $2 million in grants from prior jobs- mostly government grants and think i could be of assistance. My husband (a college professor) and I absolutely love wikipedia!!! Perhaps I could work on some grants that would include a parternship between both of our nonprofits. Danawilson Sept 5, 2006 4:23 pm EST
- I coordinate grants for a private nonprofit and regularly find foundations whose funding priorities don't match our mission or needs and would be happy to pass any possible matches onto folks at the Wikimedia Foundation. I have experience writing grants to small local foundations and large national foundations, including federal proposals. I use wikipedia every day. Please contact me on my talk page if there's any way I can help. Ahutson 01:40, 5 January 2006 (UTC)
- I was just poking around these pages, looking to help out, even before I read Michael Snow's mail. Am working on a proposal (of sorts) - also involved in UK chapter - would like to share ideas. Cormaggio @ 23:21, 23 October 2005 (UTC)
- I would like to get access to the private part Wikimedia Grants. I think I have the right combination of attitude, resources and time to be useful for the Wikimedia Grants departement.
- Killerdark - 22.214.171.124 12:31, 20 December 2005 (UTC)
- I request access to the private Wikimedia Grants website so that I can advance the goals of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. and utilize my experience as an attorney and former high school teacher to help the cause of free knowledge. Thank you for considering my request. describer 01:40, 10 February 2006 (UTC)
- I would like to get access to the Grants wiki, as I am involved in the process of writing Grant proposals for some WMF projects. v:User:Historybuff 14:49, 19 April 2007 (UTC)
People with accounts on the Grants wikiEdit
Members of the Grants TeamEdit
- Daniel Mayer As CFO I do kinda need access.
- Jimbo Wales
- notafish in order to be able to work on Wikimania budget
- sannse (no experience of grants, but willing to help with copyediting etc.)
- Terry Foote
Members of the Press TeamEdit
Note: In the light of creation of Communications committee, this section is rather historical.
See Wikimedia Press Team#Members with accounts on the Press wiki
These people had access on the grants wiki before the press wiki existed because they were members of the press team, so should probably have their accounts transferred to that wiki now.
- Kurt Jansson
- Datrio (pl)
- Wulfstan (pl)
- Mats Halldin
- Yann (fr)