Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikipedia & Sindhi Wikipedia Awareness Workshop and meetup
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Socialize with community members and teach about Wikipedia
- 20 active users, 2 of whom live outside of Sindh.
- Our campaign for this awareness workshop on various social networking sites, face-to-face conversations, persuasions to public, in the result of this pre-workshop survey show that the registered participants are willing to learn about creating articles, categories, templates, conflict resolution, the rights system, GLAM (especially Archives), the international wikiverse, edit-a-thons writing contests, methods to bring new editors, tools (visual editor, scripts, mobile apps), sister projects, creation of new wikis, creation of maps.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are doing one workshop at this time and will plan for next training workshops series of workshops later, initially starting from this one awareness workshop, We are also planning a series of editathons over upcoming months later focused improving articles about various topics.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
We have posted notifications on the portals for Sindhi Wikipedia Commnuity portal and Sindhi Wikipedia Village pump, asking for support and volunteer to be mentors to new editors during the editathon series and we have also offered our services free to teach new editors. There have been discussions on Facebook page SindhiWikipedia and other social sites, where we have asked for advice from people who have run similar editathon series. We have used our local mailing list to find experienced editors to volunteer at the editathons. A registration event was set on Facebook page SindhiWikipedia, it was also created on Wikipedia:Village pump and Wikipedia:Community portal of Sindhi Wikipedia and shown to all logged in users for two weeks and other editors registered.
These below are the concensus and endorsements on Sindhi Wikipedia.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
On our team we have four experienced editors to help lead editathons and to support participants and one person who does not edit often, but is a great event planner who will be in charge of event logistics.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
We will host this one and single event at the moment and will plan next or later the events in a computer lab at public libraries, universities, colleges, so that people do not have to bring their own laptops. We will make sure that participants know the opening hours of the library computer lab, universities so that they can return to keep editing between editathons. A librarian has agreed to collect books and materials that can be used as references. Those books will be listed on the event page so that people can find them.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We will start having local meetings in cities different from Karachi. We will also increase the number of active participants at the work of the User Group from currently 14 to 50. We have been contacted many universities and colleges, libraries to organize such awareness workshops in their place/institutions, and in doing such activities we will soon gather many active users for Wikipedia, Sindhi Wikipedia, Sindhi Wiktionary and other Sindhi wikis started by us on incubator. We have also created some groups and pages on WhatsApp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, and we are constantly in contact with each other. Besides this an online mentors will send a welcome message to new editors after the event. They will monitor the work done by new editors between events so they can answer questions and offer feedback. We will also start a Facebook group for editathon participants to talk.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
We would like to expand this conference to a yearly gathering of all Wikimedians from Sindh and rest of Pakistan, also those living in Karachi, Hyderabad and outside of Sindh, Pakistan, and abroad. The days were determined and scheduled in the most inclusive way, to allow non-resident Sindhi Wikimedians attend the meeting. The atmosphere of the conference will be even more inspiring and motivating given that it happens soon after the 12-th Birthday of Sindhi Wikipedia (10 February 2006). .
We also will deliver an introductory session about wikiquote, wikibooks, wikinews, wikivoyage, urwiki, urwiktionary, pnbwiki,
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 30 (100 expected)
- Number of new editors: 5
- Number of of articles created or improved: 50
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 30
- Start working on Sindhi texts in Multilignual Wikisource
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- مھتاب احمد - Mehtab Ahmed , Will organise and lead the workshop
- Jogi don - Asad Ali , Will organise and lead the workshop
- Satdeep Gill (Grant Making, Program and Reporting)
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 30,000 PKR (30000/20=1500 each users) for travel with second class train or nationwide bus lines for 20 Peoples
- 20,000 PKR for 10 double rooms (25 from the Pakistan and 2 International Guest) including Breakfasts
- 10,000 PKR for a Conference Hall, Decoration & Sound System for One Day
- 12,000 PKR for Lunch & Dinner for One Day for approx. 30 participants
- 5,000 PKR for printing 2017 Calendars, Brochures, Stationary, Flex, Notepad etc. and other Giveaways
- 3,000 PKR for Photography & media coverage
- 1,500 PKR for Coffee/ Tea breaks
- 2,500 PKR for Local Transportation for One Day
- 15,000 PKR for Name tags, Souvenirs, Momentos and Participation Certificates printing for Delegations / Dignitaries
- 1,000 PKR Miscellaneous
Total: 100000 PKR (953.7440 USD)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Clerk endorsed,Its a great news to organise first ever awareness workshop and neetup of Sindhi Wikipedia, سنڌي وڪيپيڊيا (talk) 07:48, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
- Clerk endorsed, this is a first step for our language so keep it up we are with you at every step keep it up، توھان پنهنجو نالو لکو چار ڀيرا ~ اھا نشاني ڏئي.
- Clerk endorsed Indus Asia (talk) 21:57, 11 February 2017 (UTC)
- Clerk endorsed Best initiative ever from Pakistan community. This event may help Wikipedia awareness to the young students of universities & colleges.Arif80s (talk) 13:34, 12 February 2017 (UTC)
- Clerk endorsed, This session is much needed for increasing the skill of old users and attracting new users for working on these projects. مھتاب احمد (talk) 19:25, 12 February 2017 (UTC)
- Clerk endorsed, It will be highly appreciated. محمد مجیب (talk) 06:26, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- Strongly Clerk endorsed, We are striving for public awareness about Wikipedia, Wikipedias versions in Pakistani languages, i.e. sdwiki, urwiki, pnbwiki, pswiki, and wiktionaries in these langauges including other Wikimedia sister projects, this workshop will he the foundationary milestone in these objectiges, moreover; in this workshop new and existing users will discuss, learn and colloborate with eachother, this workshop will create a history in Pakistan.Jogi don (talk) 06:36, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- Clerk endorsed, I support this project because its a first time that a workshop and meetup of Sindhi Wikimedians is called, where we could discuss various topics, can learn eachothers experience and share skills with new and existing Sindhi Wikipedians, awareness about Wikipedia is need of time here in Pakistan, many users does not know how to contribute on wikipedia, so in this workshop we could learn new skills from our senior Wikipedians. پيتامبر سورٺ (talk) 19:27, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- This project seems important and awareness must be spread for beneficiary of languages in all over the word. Aziz Kingrani (talk) 20:35, 16 February 2017 (UTC)
- I support this effort with core of heart
- Looks like an interesting idea. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 05:57, 23 March 2017 (UTC)
- This is absolutely a better effort to improve the knowledge base in Sindhi Language. I support it. Ayaz Ali Laghari (talk) 10:27, 26 March 2017 (UTC)
- Sindhi has a rich cultural past. Sadly today the language has little or no representation online in the Internet generation. Absolutely endorse any steps for any one seeking to actively work for Sindhi Wiki.
- Clerk endorsed This is a first step, first effort to be organized by Sindhi wikipedians. First step is always difficult and a lot of new experiences will waiting for them. It will help them to arrange further program like meet up, edithon. Best wishes for Sindhi wikimedia. — Ferdous • 16:09, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would help the new users to understand Wikimedia and the way to contribute to it. مھتاب احمد (talk) 06:30, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer, I would manage the event, present lectuers, teach new users, will present tutorial videos, presentations about Wikipedia.Jogi don (talk) 06:42, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to be a volunteer, if any task is assigned to me. پيتامبر سورٺ (talk) 19:31, 13 February 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I am available for support of new users in connection with Sindhi Typing, Sindhi Language and grammar, Proof reading and other language skills. Ayaz Ali Laghari (talk) 10:30, 26 March 2017 (UTC)
- Volunteer I will introduce the projects of Wikimedia foundation. Muzamil Memon (talk) 11:11, 27 March 2017 (UTC)