Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To engage new and existing contributors of the community.
- To add freely licensed, and quality images of natural heritages of Nepal to Wikimedia Commons.
- To spread awareness about ways to contributing media contents to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of natural heritages in Nepal, that will be contributed to Wikimedia Commons for free usage and spread its importance by its utilization in Wikipedia articles. The competition is important because it give us exposure of our natural heritages. Promotes physical meetups between the Wikimedians. Spread the messages outside the existing community.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Social Media promotion
- Photo walk event
- Photo Ride
- Partnership with like minded organizations
- Tell a friend
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Jury will comprise of 3-4 members with different expertise; people from the Wikimedia community and well-known photographers will be invited to join the jury team .Prizes will be in term of certificates, gift hampers and token of appreciation
The jury will determine the winners of the local and international contest taking into the consideration the following criteria:
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.);
- Originality and creativity;
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
We will utilize those uploaded resources in Wikimedia projects by one of the dedicated member in our team looking at the usage rate. Communicating with the contributors and organizing orientations during photo walks and photo rides.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 150
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 2000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 700
- Nepali Wikipedia- Discussion link
Below you can find the estimated project budget for the planning and execution of the Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Nepal on the basis of Event, outreach and prize distribution.
|Item Description||No. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes|
|Main Prize||3||450 USD||450 USD||3 best photos: Gift hampers for Top 3 Photos (First, Second, Third)|
|Additional Prizes||1||50 USD||50 USD||Gift hamper for the top contributor by numbers of photographs uploads. This encourages more people to actually participate in the contest, and upload more photographs to win.|
|Special prizes (Photo Frame with the winning photo printed )||10||7 USD||70 USD||The prizes is for the top ten contributors by rank of winning of photographs.|
|Special prizes (WLE Certificate)||150||1 USD||150 USD||The certificate is for the all contributors and volunteers who takes part in the competition.|
|Total Prizes Costs||720 USD|
|Hall Rent (Venue)||1||120 USD||120 USD||Hall rent for the Felicitation ceremony in Kathmandu.|
|Food & Beverages||40||5 USD||200 USD||Conference catering (Including tea and snacks)|
|Travel expenses||10||20 USD||200 USD||Travel expenses (for jury members and invited guest)|
|WLE T-shirts||5 (Team Member)||10 USD||50 USD||WLE T-shirts for team members|
|Token of Appreciation||5 (Primary and final juror)||15 USD||75 USD||Token of Appreciation to jury members|
|Backdrop, printing and other stuff regarding event||70 USD||Flex print, Stationery and identity card|
|Total Felicitation and Award Ceremony Costs||715 USD|
|Outreach Event||2||200 USD||400 USD||We expect to organise local outreach events in western part of Nepal at least 2 cities/towns. This will include (depending on the city/town): where we organise a Photo Walk with our volunteers and photographers. Cost will include: travel and accommodation in respective cities/towns for workshops. We might organised more events if we get financial support of local partners.|
|Meetup and communication||2||50 USD||100 USD||For the discussion among the volunteers and communication expenses.|
|Total Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Nepal Outreach Cost||500 USD|
|Total cost of project||1935 USD (1 USD = 109.629 NPR as of 15 April 2019)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I support this proposal. I would also like to suggest an idea, we are doing this event since past years and I think this year we can also do an edit-a-thon with a photo contest. The photo contest and edit-a-thon can both be related to geography. That way we will be able to use the photos that we take in the articles that we create or improve. BRP ever 17:03, 15 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Strong support - Nirmal Dulal (talk) 05:50, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Good Luck! Best wishes. Kind regards, — Tulsi Bhagat (contribs | talk) 10:22, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Best wishes- Pankaj Deo (Talk) 11:21, 16 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - My support to this proposal.-Nirajan pant (talk) 16:01, 20 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - My support on the proposal. nShrestha (talk) 05:56, 21 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - My support on the proposal.Nawaraj Ghimire (talk) 05:59, 21 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - All The Best Bijay chaurasia (talk) 11:27, 21 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support - All The Best श्रेष्ठ भूपेन्द्र (talk) 06:37, 22 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support, wonderful! For bellow $2000 we get all this.--AldnonymousBicara? 04:26, 27 April 2019 (UTC)
- Support Nepal was among the first countries to organise WLE and this is now their sixth edition. They have a great track record with strong numbers of participants and uploads, and Nepalese photos regularly being among the top-15 worlwide. Nepalese team has a strong experience and proposed a good plan for another successful edition — NickK (talk) 13:19, 7 May 2019 (UTC)