Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédiens du Bénin User Group/Wiki Loves Africa 2022 Benin
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Introduce Wiki Loves Africa 2022 project to existing and new contributors of wiki commons, and share all about Wiki Loves Africa and its purpose.
- Recruit loyal contributors (professional photographers and non-professional) to Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Engage existing contributors and encourage them to continue contributing even when the contest is over.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Wiki Loves Africa 2022 in Benin will focus on photo shooting activities under the theme Home and Habitat. Pictures will be uploaded on commons and will be used to illustrate Beninese related articles on Wikipedia and on its sister projects. We will also make an exhibition of best images in partnership with a cultural center in Benin in order to encourage best images entries.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- This proposal will be published on our affiliate discussion page.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Offline: Word of mouth and posters will be printed and displayed in libraries, Universities and schools
- Online: We will set up social media pages (Facebook, Twitter ) to reach people online.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- We will have a panel of 3 judges who will set criteria for best images and use these as a basis, thanks to Montage, to select the best images for local awards.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will have edit-a-thons to help integrate some of these uploaded images into existing articles on Wikipedia. We may also create new articles based on these images at the edit-a-thons.
- We will also give gifts to the best contributors to motivate and encourage them.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We will create an isa tool campaign for the period of the contest to improve the descriptions of the uploaded photos.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1000+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 50+
- 50+ will be categorized as valued, quality, or featured
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of articles created or improved: 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 1 USD = 581.444 FCFA (XOF) as of December 15th 2021 Oanda
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||’Summary'|
|Events||Venue||2||$150||$300||All in person meet ups will follow the COVID-19 measures set up by the government of Benin.|
|Branding & Stationaries||T-Shirts||10||$7.5||$75||T-shirt will be given to contributor who has uploaded good number and quality photos, as well as to participant who has won the local ISA contest.|
|Communications, Outreach & COVID-19 equipment||Transport||4||$25||$100||Transport Internet will be used during events for photo uploading. Communication-Marketing (flyers and stickers printing, t-shirts, documents and photoshooting learning guides...)|
|Internet at the events||-||$200||$200|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||2||$90||$180|
|Social Media (Promotion)||5||$20||$100|
|COVID-19 equipment||-||-||$50||Hand Sanitizer, Soaps, Washing basin and Face Masks|
|Zoom pro account||3||$10||$30||Zoom pro account for online activities.|
|Closing Ceremony||Awards giving||(1st,2nd,3rd)||$350||$350||The award will be given in term of vouchers and certificates. We will give vouchers cards worthy $200 to the first winner, $100 to the second winner and $50 to the third one, the winners can spend vouchers cards on what they choose.|
|Drinks and Snacks||-||$100||$100|
|Contingency Amount||$50||Unforeseen expenses|
|Total: USD 1965|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!