Grants:Project/Rapid/Swapnil Karambelkar/Hindi Wikimedians Technical Meet Nov 2017 at Jaipur
Hindi Wikimedians User Group is proposing a Technical Workshop at Jaipur, India to impart and enhance "Maintenance" Skills to community members. This is being done to recruit new Maintainers (Reviewers, Rollbackers, Sysops etc.) and to enhance the skills of present ones. (Proposed date 11-12 November 2017).
While registered members of Hindi Wikipedia has crossed a figure of 300000, we have only 8 sysop and 17 reviewer/rollbackers only. Basic objective of this workshop is to attract more and more members towards maintenance aspect. So, broadly we can divide our objective into following goals:
- To conduct a refresher session about Policy Rules for Future Maintainers.
- To conduct a training session to impart skills for Maintenance and Management of Wikipedia to existing members who have been limited primarily to editing only.
- To impart technical training (RTRC, Twinkle and other tools) & mutual knowledge sharing to enhance skills of existing Maintainers (reviewer, rollbacker, manager, administrator etc.)
- Socialize with community members and equip editor members technically to be promoted to Reviewers, Rollbackers and Sysop.
- If time allows, a training session on automated tools about AutoWikiBrowser and PyWikiBot is also planned.
- Jaipur is a historical city. A photowalk will also be arranged on the sidelines of this workshop. Participants will be trained on how to add/utilize photographs in their articles.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- Hindi is fourth largest spoken language and Hindi Wikipedia community is still in its nascent stage with few contributors.Hindi Wikipedia is far behind in the number of Administrators, Rollbackers, Reviewers, File Movers compared to others. While registered members of Hindi Wikipedia has crossed a figure of 300000, we have only 8 sysop and 17 reviewer/rollbackers only. Basic objective of this workshop is to attract more and more members towards maintenance aspect. One of the major reason is lack of knowledge among the contributors, most of whom remain limited to editing only. So, on the initiative by Maintainers (Administrators, Rollbackers, Reviewers, File Movers etc.) a meet is being organized to share basic and technical information about the Maintenance and Management aspects of Wikipedia with the fellow contributors.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- In Hindi Wikipedia conference Jan 2017 at Bhopal , a brief overview was given by admins on how to write articles, which guided new and existing members and among them, few became Admin, Reviewers and Autopatrolled in the due course. Still ,in contrast to the number of active contributors, Hindi Wikipedia has No Bureaucrat, only 8 Administrator,11 Reviewers,6 Rollbackers,2 File Movers,44 Autopatrolled member and they all are keen to learn technicalities and enhance their skills in managing/working of wikipedia and help others,so as to increase the quality of article and lessen the burden on existing maintainers.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- There is an existing WhatsApp and hangout group of the participants and regular hangout sessions are taken off, Most of the participants are already in touch with each other hence post meeting engagement will be smooth. Moreover all the members will be timely informed on Village Pump. After conclusion of workshop, We shall try to nominate few members to an appropriate "Maintainer" status for 3 months initially, which can be made permanent after community review.
- A photo walk would be arranged for participants and training will be given on how to shoot photographs as per wikipedia norms and how to use them in wikipedia.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- In case of experienced editors, if we get 5+ members raised to next level (editor to reviewer/rollbacker, reviewer/rollbacker to sysop), we shall consider our workshop as success. The target may seem quite moderate, but this is first such effort by Hindi community and we have a lot to learn yet.
- In case of new members, it is our expectation that almost all attendees of this workshop should rise to the level of Autopatrolled members.
- Stay,Food & beverage (for 3 Nights) = Rs 55,000
- Bus/train tickets to reimburse participants for travel to/from meeting = Rs.4000 x 15 people = Rs 60,000
- Photowalk = Rs 5,000
- Contingency funds = Rs 5,000
- Total: Rs 125,000
Swag request S.No Item(s) Quantity 1 Globe stickers (50 pack) 2 sets 2 Wikimedia Project stickers (14 pack) 5 sets 3 Wikipedia notebooks 15 4 Wikipedia pens (5 pack) 3 sets 5 T-shirts for resource persons and Senior participents 15
- Support Excellent initiative.-Jayprakash12345 (talk) 07:51, 21 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support as proposer and also believe that this meet/workshop will help the seasoned editors to enhance their technical skills and encourage new editors to contribute effectively in wikiway.Swapnil.Karambelkar (talk) 10:48, 21 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Raju Jangid (talk) 15:08, 23 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Most required at hiwiki. --Anamdas (talk) 09:11, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Its really a good initiative in Hindi wikipedia , I strongly support --Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 10:33, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Most required at hiwiki. --आर्यावर्त (talk) 11:16, 24 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support I hope it will work for Hindi. NehalDaveND (talk) 06:20, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Most required at hiwiki. Sush_0809 06:50, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support This definitely needs to be supported. - Abhinav619
- Support Strong Support :Vijay Tiwari (talk) 12:49, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Nice initiative, Wish you all the best AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 13:38, 25 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Very good initiative, good forward for this. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 14:14, 26 September 2017 (UTC)
- Support Good and appreciable initiative. --Ashish Bhatnagar talk 16:51, 28 September 2017 (UTC)
- SupportThe technical knowledge of Wikipedia is must for every community. Knowledge only grows if it's shared. Therefore, I support this motion. Wassan.anmol (talk) 06:55, 1 October 2017 (UTC)
- Support Good initiative! - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 05:21, 4 October 2017 (UTC)