Reduce the racial gap in Wikipedia, by:
- improving or creating wikipedia entry in ES and FR of the women of colors our participants have uploaded pictures in wikimedia commons.
Two Wikimedia Commons edithaton, one in Spanish and one in French, were already given in April, on the 26th and the 30th. The participants continue to upload picture throughout May. Here is the page with the in progress outputs, and therefore the list for our wikipedian edithatons: VisibleWikiWomenOfColors in the Spanish version of the project and VisibleWikiWomenOfColors in the French version of the project.
- creating quantifiable data about the thematic of the Blackening Wikipedia projet, graphics and visual information related to the racial gap in Spanish and French wikipedias.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are planning a series of 4 editathons over 1 month focused reducing racial gap on Wikipedia and we will also organize a training in Wikidata.
- Have one online Wikipedian edithaton in Spanish between June 13th and July 15th 2020.
- Have one online Wikipedian edithaton in French between June 13th and July 15th 2020.
- Have two online Wikidata edithaton in French between June 13th and July 15th 2020.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- we sent e-mails of invitation to black feminist collectives we know in Colombia, Brasil, Dominican Republic and Honduras and black european feminist plateforms.
- we invited Caribbean visual artists and film directors via e-mail.
- we invited University professors and their students in Sociology.
- via our facebook page named Noircir Wikipédia/Ennegreciendo Wikipedia, several post have been created and shared by our followers
- we will post notifications on the portals of Wikiproyecto África, Wikiproyecto Mujeres de Latinoamérica, Projet Caraïbe to invite their participants to come to the online event serie.
- we are member of Wikimedians of the Caribbean User Group and we will share the events in the group.
- we have used our local and international mailing list to invite participating in the events.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
On our team we are three editors experienced in organizing, hosting and leading edithatons. We, AfricanadeCuba, LurKin, and me Galahmm. We will help the participants. We have experience with organizing and leading more then twenty events both face-to-face and online from different projects on Wikipedia.VIGNERON is experienced in Wikidata and will lead the training and support to new editors participating in that project. We have one online mentor Moumou82 who agreed to help us with our questions during the online events series. As an example, on the Wikimedia commons online event organized on April 26 in Spanish and on April 30 in French, we had respectively 15 and 7 participants, without social media boost.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Only people with a tablet, computer or cellphone and internet will be able to participate as we are under the covid19 restrictions. Regarding the skills of the participants, we created a table with several columns to fill in order to guide new participants towards a high quality content. The columns titles are name, image (uploaded during VisibleWomenOfColors), quick description, wikidata element, is it notorious for wp?, article in another language,sources to create the article on wp.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- The organizers of the event will send a thanks box like this one created for the Spanish project Ennegreciendo Wikipedia.
- The ISA tool will be introduced to the participants as a platform they can use after the events to contribute adding structured data to the images of the project, and description in their languages. ISA tool also includes stats on which user(s) participates the most in the campaign, either by uploading images to Wikimedia Commons, either by improving its caption and structured data. We already created the Commons category in order to track it via the ISA tool, and we created the campaign: see the ISA campaign
- We will monitor the work done by new editors between events so they can answer questions and offer feedback. We will also use a Facebook group for editathon participants to talk.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Working with images of women of colors is important because wikipedian biographies of these women are less often illustrated with a portrait picture of them. We want to decrease this tendency and make them more visible in Commons in order to make them more visible in Wikipedia. Creating visual quantified information about racial gap on Wikipedia is meaningful for engaging more with the people of color not contributing yet and is powerful to demonstrate what is left undone/what has been done yet.
April 1st-April 15: communication, invitations
April 26: Spanish Wikimedia Commons Editathon
April 30: French Wikimedia Commons Editathon
May 5: check OTRS tickets, thanks message and follow-up
May 6: meeting between organizers to planify the Wikidata workshops
May 15-May 30: Dashboard creation, communication, invitations
June 13 and June 14: wikidata Editathon
June 15-June 30: Dashboard creation, communication, invitations
July 4 and July 5: planned Wikipedia Editathon
July 5-July 15: follow-up, corrections, improving articles, thanks message
July 15-July: writing report
- Create 25 new elements of women of color in Wikidata
- Create 10 new articles of women of color in Wikipédia
- Have 10 new editors on wikimedian projects
- Have 10 participants of the project paticipating in the online proposals
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 25
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 10
- Number of languages: 4 (Spanish, French, Portuguese, English)
Resources we have:
- Galahmm and AfricanadeCuba are organizing the events and leading the Wikipedian edithatons.
- VIGNERON is the experienced Wikidata contributor that will lead two wiki data online event in French.
- We have already covered costs of internet connection
- We have 2 online mentors, one in Spanish and one in French
Resources we need:
- Professional licence for social media management = 105.-CHF x 1 month = 105.-CHF
- Professional licence video conference and webinair program = $45 x 1 month = 45.-CHF
- Graphic design for visual communication on social media and newsletter design = 10 hrs x 150.-CHF/hr = 1'100.-CHF
- Facebook boost for the online events = 50.-chf x 4events = 200.-CHF
- Food and beverage delivery for organizers and leaders = 20.-CHF x 4 events x 3 person = 240.-CHF
- Contingency expense = 80.-CHF
- Child Care × 2 events=120
Total = 1'890-CHF
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!nity
- total suppport. The volunteers behind this grant show a deep respect of our wikimedian values, and add a strong diversity value to our projects that are much needed. Also they belong to the community and change things from the inside, by first understanding how the projects and the people work and interract. The budget is clear and well defined, we know how the money will be spent, the timeline of events is defined, we know what they are planning to do. The project is backed by two very experienced wikikemdians which is a big plus in this kind of project. Nattes à chat (talk) 07:39, 5 May 2020 (UTC)
- support the Ennegreciendo Wikipedia / Noircir Wikipédia team have an outstanding record of delivering innovative and popular events. This grant will support their pivot to more online meetings and editathons during this time when meeting in person isn't possible. Their grant application has my full support. MassiveEartha (talk) 08:44, 5 May 2020 (UTC)
- supportSuperb and useful project, responding to the need of developping the content and contributors diversity. The project exists for a while and have amazing results Tonpseudo (talk) 11:22, 5 May 2020 (UTC)
- support. Add diversity, great people. Would really benefit from support. Anthere (talk) (Gala, I suggest you add the link to FB page if possible)
- support. Great events for a great ongoing project. Kvardek du (talk) 19:11, 5 May 2020 (UTC)
- total support This project is essential to ensure that the online encyclopedia has diverse contributors and diverse and inclusive content. LurKin
- total suppport Noricir Wikipedia and Ivonne Gonzalez are forward thinking, innovative and organized. The perfect mix for this project. As partners with both the AfroCROWD and Wikimedians of the Caribbean community and others, I know first had that they are amazing people to work with and support their efforts here! Shanluan (talk) 03:10, 8 May 2020 (UTC)
- total suppport. We need these kinds of activities to improve Wikipedia. --Jalu (talk) 14:41, 8 May 2020 (UTC)
- strong support. Ennegreciendo Wikipedia / Noircir Wikipédia is an important project to create and improve content that has been historically hidden and marginalised. We need this kind of project to bridge the knowledge gaps in Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. The team have been able to lead this project voluntarily but they need more support to make more. Señoritaleona (talk) 02:10, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
- Total supportThe project is very important for the community's diversity especially its francophonic one.Kawayashu (talk) 21:01, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
- Much needed! Looking forward to seeing this project come to fruition. Ivonne's signature energy is empowering. Aliceba (talk) 10:04, 14 May 2020 (UTC)
- Total support This project is doing great work in reducing inequalities and has proved steady and enduring. Chragon (talk) 11:36, 16 May 2020 (UTC)