Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Categories/Context-dependent sort key
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Context-dependent sort key
- Problem: In most Wiktionary projects, words of different languages share a page if their spellings are identical. Currently, the magic word DEFAULTSORT works for an entire page, which means we cannot define a default sort key for each language in the same page. That is an issue especially for Chinese, Japanese and Korean (hanja). They share characters but their sort keys are totally different (radicals or pinyin for Chinese, kana for Japanese, hangeul for Korean). If it is allowed to define a default sort key for each section, it will be much easier to correctly categorize pages.
- Proposed solution: Introduction of a new magic word, say, SECTIONSORT, that works for all categories after it up to the next usage of the same magic word. SECTIONSORT should override DEFAULTSORT if both are defined. The use of SECTIONSORT without a sort key should clear the previous sort key (and should not define an empty sort key).
- Who would benefit: Editors of Wiktionary, especially those who edit Chinese and Japanese entries.
- More comments: See Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Wiktionary/Context-dependent sort key for a discussion in 2017. It is still a problem. See Community Wishlist Survey 2020/Wiktionary/Context-dependent sort key for further discussion (and support).
- Phabricator tickets: phab:T183747
- Proposer: Urhixidur (talk) 20:38, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- Duplicate of Community_Wishlist_Survey_2022/Categories/Allow_multiple_entries_within_each_category. --Izno (talk) 23:43, 18 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support * Pppery * it has begun 18:35, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support —The Editor's Apprentice (talk) 19:44, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support --𝑇𝑚𝑣 (𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑘) 01:06, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Arado Ar 196 (talk) 10:46, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Thingofme (talk) 11:10, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 21:40, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support —— Eric Liu（Talk） 06:41, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Urhixidur (talk) 16:08, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:07, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 05:23, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Luan (discussão) 14:20, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Much easier than adding a separate sortkey parameter for every template and duplicating that for all transclusions inside a section, which would be the only alternative. ~~~~
User:1234qwer1234qwer4 (talk) 23:11, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Andrei Romanenko (talk) 02:01, 10 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Gaurav (talk) 06:45, 11 February 2022 (UTC)